How to deal with a car dealership | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to deal with a car dealership

dragonrider

Hi guys, I am in the market looking for a new vehicle right now. Hopefully to buy before the end of the year. Now, I just wonder how I can find out the lowest price a dealership will be willing to sell without lowballing the price (which I hate to do).
Will the following factors have impact to the final price, such as:
1. Proximity to the GTA (is it true the further the dealership from GTA the price is cheaper?)
2. what will be the typical % discount w.r.t published price
3. what are the typical costs on the dealership that they can or can't reduce?

any suggestions, recommendation or even personal experiences are welcome. Thank you so much guys!

Go in with cash and name a price. Unless it's a stupid figure they will play with you.

Bottom line is you are the consumer, money talks, ******** walks. Play hardball but do not bluff.

There is no formula, only general guidelines.

If a seller of anything has to make a bank report at the end of the month showing they sold something you might get a deal on the 30th that won't be available a day later.

You can't compare apples to oranges so the first thing you need to do is pick exactly what you want. The Toyota has better sound but you like the cup holders on the Mazda however the Ford is cheaper with the Chevy being in between.

If you lowball it shows you don't know the market and you're just another tire kicker.

We ended up buying in West end Toronto, since the price and sales rep was more reasonable than the one 4 hours away where we live. Figure out what you want first. Then get your loan set up for that if you need it. Go in and be firm but reasonable. Some people own four, five or more dealerships. I've had people try and sell me a base model car with upgrades for more than the higher end model before. Do those services that show you the wholesale price work?

1) figure out what the going price for this car is (visit 3 -4 dealerships and speak to reps in person)
2) subtract 10%-15% off the number they give you, and that is your target price
3) make a list of 10 dealers, call them and speak to the sales manager only, tell them that dealer X offered you this car (must be specific on model, options etc) at the price you figured out in step # 2, and ask if they can beat it
4) if all of them say yes, there is a problem with step # 2 and you now have to drop an additional 5%-10% off it and repeat step # 3

never take the "why don't you come and see me and we can work something out" bait, do not go see anyone until they committed to your price

1) figure out what the going price for this car is (visit 3 -4 dealerships and speak to reps in person)
3) make a list of 10 dealers, call them and speak to the sales manager only, tell them that dealer X offered you this car (must be specific on model, options etc) at the price you figured out in step # 2, and ask if they can beat it
4) if all of them say yes, there is a problem with step # 2 and you now have to drop an additional 5%-10% off it and repeat step # 3

never take the "why don't you come and see me and we can work something out" bait, do not go see anyone until they committed to your price

This guy is the master, Ive seen his work in person :)

thanks for the suggestion guys! I am interested in Hyundai Santa Fe XL Luxury edition. I got the price from one dealer and now don't know what to deal with it:). Ok, I will try to ask other dealership and try to find out the going price. Will the price on autotrader help? once again, many thanks!

This is the way to get the best price. Period. Finito. If you want to make a bit of effort, more than most people do, use carcostcanada.com. I've had multiple friends use it; it works and works well. Read their suggestions and guides as well and use it. You can read more if you wish by searching and reading up on it.

Last edited:
Whatever you do, make sure they have the keys for your car.

My car has been sitting in the delivery bay for the past 10 days, and will do so for another 5 or so while they get a whole new set of keys because they were lost or stolen.

Fun times.

These days, I do my car buying via email.

Who has time to waste hopping from car dealer to car dealer sitting down, and wasting time with salespeople? Been there done that.

Once you know what you want, send an email blast to all qualified dealers, ask for an ALL IN price, and see who comes back with the lowest.

just recently, completed a transaction on a new Ford work vehicle via email and text. Only went to the dealer to sign the papers I agreed on once everything was negotiated.

my best experience was 2 years ago, One of our work vehicles (Mercedes Sprinter), I purchased from a dealer in Kitchener. I never stepped foot in the dealership and completed the entire negotiation over phone and email. They even brought the vehicle to me! To this day, I have no idea what the dealership looks like or where it is located.

If I was buying brand new I'd deal sight unseen, no problem.

Used? Never. Made that mistake once, it cost me about 50 hours or work putting lipstick on a pig and then only being able to resell it at a loss even after all that...but I was just/glad lucky to recoup what I did.

I realize that the OP is talking new here, but just saying...sight unseen can be risky, especially when the seller magically takes pictures from all the right angles and locations, conveniently making things look far better than reality.

All good tips guys. I will try them out. Keep the ideas flowing. I hope it will help other people in the future too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look around for no smoking signs. Best bang for buck is still hoisting your boots on his desk and lighting a fattie with a dollar bill. Wear a tall hat.

this sounds like game theory...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coWgbmlvRTU

You use fake money...jeez guys...do you bring real puke to a party?? No you bring party puke. Remember, negotiating is all about theatrics.
Sorry, but for car buying, pipe smoking is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom