3/4 of android phones/tablets/devices are at risk | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

3/4 of android phones/tablets/devices are at risk

If you're downloading apps from 3rd parties you probably deserve it...As long as the app is legit and you have $25, you can put it on the app store. The dev has something to hid if its not.

if any body really cared about risky androids and their security, they be using one of the latest BlackBerry offerings.

Its apparent, very few people care, so its not really a big deal, is it?

If you're downloading apps from 3rd parties you probably deserve it...As long as the app is legit and you have $25, you can put it on the app store. The dev has something to hid if its not.

It's the piracy aspect that causes most people to install 3rd party. Post a link on Facebook to a repository where people can install games that might be 99c-$2 in the Google Play store for free instead (pirated), and a massive percentage of people will fall over themselves to install that repository, click right on through all the warnings and "annoying stuff" about the risks without even reading 99% of it, and install stuff.

And boom, they're infected.

Yes, a lot of people dislike the walled garden approach that Apple takes with their apps, but there's certainly a benefit in that malware is almost impossible to introduce via a simple app install.

perhaps, but then you are stuck with an inferior phone with a less than stellar display, huge ugly azz bezels, no curved screen tech, no wireless charging, and lousy battery life...

perhaps, but then you are stuck with an inferior phone with a less than stellar display, huge ugly azz bezels, no curved screen tech, no wireless charging, and lousy battery life...

Ah yes, I was waiting for you to arrive and turn the debate into a discussion about cosmetic appearance and perceived hardware inadequacies.

Because both are far more important than software security, right?

Ah yes, I was waiting for you to arrive and turn the debate into a discussion about cosmetic appearance and perceived hardware inadequacies.

Because both are far more important than software security, right?

see post 22

I have a Blackberry Z10. I've had it since not long after they were introduced (before it became apparent that they were going to bomb in the marketplace).

I gather it's not subject to this nonsense. I'm not a tech geek. The phone has been pretty good for what I use it for. Lately, the speaker that is used for normal (non-speakerphone) telephone conversation has stopped working. I'm gathering that there's no practical way to fix this. I'm not an Apple fan. I'm no fan of Microsoft, either.

Now what?

I have a Blackberry Z10. I've had it since not long after they were introduced (before it became apparent that they were going to bomb in the marketplace).

I gather it's not subject to this nonsense. I'm not a tech geek. The phone has been pretty good for what I use it for. Lately, the speaker that is used for normal (non-speakerphone) telephone conversation has stopped working. I'm gathering that there's no practical way to fix this. I'm not an Apple fan. I'm no fan of Microsoft, either.

Now what?

Google Pixel...

If the carrier does not update the phone they should allow the user to unlock the boot loader. I realize the carriers have no interest to do that, but to keep phones out of landfills they should be forced to do so. A phone with an unlocked boot loader can have it's life extended for years. I bought a moto droid for $150 off ebay. With moto rom it's pretty much useless and stuck on android 5. With an unlocked bootloader it's an awesome phone that I will probably keep for at least two more years. Android 7 is available for it from 3rd party developers.
Same problem, no? How do you know those 3rd party developers aren't embedding malware?

Now what?
I ask myself this question every so often too, as my Z30 is still going strong but won't last forever. I've boiled the question down to what I think is the mist elemental question; what is each platform's weakness? From there I can decide which weakness I'm most willing to live with. Kinda like an election :)

Heres what I've concluded each platform lacks:
Apple: User control
Android: Personal information security
Microsoft: Apps (and maybe personal info security as well now)

Im not willing to compromise the security of my info, so if Windows turns out to be as bad as Android on that front, my only option will be Apple. You can use the same analysis to make an evaluation of your own, but my guess is, as a non power user, you have little to lose by going with Apple.

Look for a deal on a Z10 or Z30, I took one(work phone) over an iPhone to the disbelief of my sons.

Now what?

I'm not an Apple fan.

Based on?

Fastar's last response above is insightful on the topic FWIW.

Just getting another BB is an option as well - I'm sure there's no shortage of good condition Z10's available out there. If it's working for you, sometimes just sticking with what your comfortable with is a perfectly valid option. And hey, BB's are about as low risk as is possible right now from a security standpoint.

However, if you move, weigh the options carefully. You need not be a "fan" of any certain brand to acknowledge realities of said brand that might otherwise be of value or worth to you. Keep your options open.

Same problem, no? How do you know those 3rd party developers aren't embedding malware?

Simple answer is that you don't know what people are coding - kind of like not knowing if the person you trust that is helping you isn't installing malware on your device, or if the usb or phone plugged into your computer doesn't have malicious code spreading itself.

There are many Android app developers that make their own apps and just don't want to go through the process of going through google (play store - although they have a points system where you can accumulate points and get free stuff... ie. phones, computers, accessories, etc).

All it takes is a piece of software to grab ANY .apk file and bind malicious software to it. The Pokemon Go app comes to mind - so many .apks out there likely reproduced with malicious software bound to it. Ez pz, spread like wildfire, access phone cameras, mics, texts, apps, e-mails, etc.

Last edited:
Get the next version, the BB priv, superior than the z10 (i have had both) and runs Android 6

Now what?

Based on?

Fastar's last response above is insightful on the topic FWIW.

Just getting another BB is an option as well - I'm sure there's no shortage of good condition Z10's available out there. If it's working for you, sometimes just sticking with what your comfortable with is a perfectly valid option. And hey, BB's are about as low risk as is possible right now from a security standpoint.

However, if you move, weigh the options carefully. You need not be a "fan" of any certain brand to acknowledge realities of said brand that might otherwise be of value or worth to you. Keep your options open.

I have owned both IOS and Android platform devices, and it really comes down to ease of use and ability to troubleshoot issues. Privacy is also a consideration.

Whenever you come across issues with your iPhone, you need to bring it into the Apple store for the "genius" to take a look at it and figure it out (aside from restarting the phone). Thing is that, there have been many reported cases (and I know a few people myself), that worked for Apple and searched through the phone for nudes or for the purpose of compromising accounts. To put things into perspective, a lot of the time, you're handing over your phone to a high-school kid, or one that recently finished at the first troubleshooting stage.
Some people hand over their iCloud details in order to "restore" the phone, but that can easily be used to load a new/spare phone with the stored data.
A compromised iCloud account used as a backup can be devastating - I'm surprised how insecure many people's accounts are. The biggest flaw in security is the users themselves; it doesn't take malicious software in order to compromise an account/device.
File management on an iPhone also sucks donkey dick, as well as the need to spend a stupid amount of money in order to expand the amount of storage you have.
Backups created are also created in a way that it doesn't make sense (structurally), unless read by an Apple device.

Overall the selling point of an iPhone would be that it is easy to use and that they have great warranty. I also like the simplicity of the device, but the recent bells and whistles added to the newer iPhone7 pushed me away.

As for Android, you can do many things yourself and there is a huge community of Android experts online that can help to diagnose and direct you how to fix your issues by having the ability to review your logs without resorting to "just take it to the store".
File management is great in comparison.
Backups can be easily made by simply dragging and dropping as well as being selective in what you want to carry over.
Storage is easy to upgrade or move to a physical location without relying on the cloud.
Updates can suck and screw you over - this is a huge downside as it doesn't seem like they do much testing before releasing big updates(which is why I usually wait a few months for the dust to settle before giving in to the stupid upgrade message that stays on top of your notification bar).
Custom firmware can be a good or bad thing - depending on if you do your research.

Overall, the selling point of an Android would be that it is easy for the somewhat tech savvy people to manage their device on their own.

I had a Blackberry once... A while ago. It was when Blackberries pretty much dominated the cellphone market and flip phones were still used by the vast majority of cellphone users. It was great until the Blackberry Torch came out and the complaints did not stop from there.

There are many more to list, but the point is that each device has it's ups and downs and that you should choose the one that suits your needs. Educating yourself a bit on securing your data will do more than what the latest update has to offer.

Downloading third party apps does not always mean you're pirating the app or trying to find a way to get things for free.. There are things that are censored by the app store such as legit apps coded to block advertisements.

It also allows users to change settings on the back-end of their device to suit their needs or to simply tune up their phones.

Last edited:
Google Pixel...

^^^ This, for those that "don't like apple", this is the 'best' Android and direct from the mothership of Google

Gets all the security and firmware updates I believe on a monthly basis, and its direct from Google, you never have to wait for your carriers which can sometimes be painful. Fragmentation is NEVER a problem. From what I've read lately, Android security has improved much recently.

Download reputable apps from the real Google Play store and not from suspicious third party stores, and you have very little reason to worry.

Google takes as much "personal" info as you are willing to give it if you agree to their Google Services which is pretty neat and for some people a fair tradeoff. There are measures you can take to limit how much information you can give to Google.

And please stop the delusion, Apple is just as guilty at collecting your personal data and mining it.

On a side note, I'll be taking a good hard look at Pixel 2 when it arrives, hopefully they address the current Pixels big ugly bezels, hefty weight, and introduce sleek curved screens and a larger battery and genuine waterproofing!

Last edited:
there have been many reported cases (and I know a few people myself), that worked for Apple and searched through the phone for nudes or for the purpose of compromising accounts.
Some people hand over their iCloud details in order to "restore" the phone, but that can easily be used to load a new/spare phone with the stored data.
A compromised iCloud account used as a backup can be devastating - I'm surprised how insecure many people's accounts are. The biggest flaw in security is the users themselves; it doesn't take malicious software in order to compromise an account/device.

*cough*

Ok, lets start with point A - at least you can *get* service for an iPhone by making an appointment, and most issues can be dealt with while you wait. I've had 2 repairs on my iPhone 6+ (one was a recall for bad camera hardware, the other was my fault) completed while I waited and both at zero cost. Try that with many other brands, good luck - I have a friend with a Sony handset which he had to ship to the USA for warranty repair and he had no phone at all for FIVE (!) weeks until he got it back.

Handing over iCloud details? Not necessary, you are asked the enter them to disable the iCloud features and locks, but never for your credentials directly. If you choose to leave your PIN code enabled you will be asked for that (NOT your iCloud password, different thing), but again, that's that's no different than any other phone - a manufacturer can't fix a locked handset, or if they do it's coming back wiped clean - something Apple tries to avoid at every cost...and if they have to, they will help you back it up first or at least make you abundantly aware of the fact they're going to do it.

As for the very very slim possibility of an iCloud account being compromised by what's clearly a rogue Apple employee, since we're talking about an issue where a drive-by install of an app on an Android handset is leading to 13,000 fully compromised Google accounts every day, it seems to me you're worried about the highly unlikely possibility of a few individual employee doing wrong while discounting the clear and present risk that people potentially put themselves in with the current Android issue. There's not 13,000 iCloud accounts compromised every day.

All that said, the exact same stuff can happen to an Android phone. Personally, I feel a lot more secure dealing with an Apple employee in an Apple store than I ever will dealing with some guy at a mall cellphone repair shop...which is the only viable option for a owners of other brands of cellphones who simply don't have the benefit of a direct manufacturer chain of service facilities.

I'd rather this not turn into the typical Android vs Apple bashfest, but one needs to make buying decisions based on facts, not sensationalism.

Im not willing to compromise the security of my info, so if Windows turns out to be as bad as Android on that front, my only option will be Apple. You can use the same analysis to make an evaluation of your own, but my guess is, as a non power user, you have little to lose by going with Apple.
A Windows 10 phone has great security and it will continue as it is now UWP, which no other OS has been able to attain yet. Full selective permissions as well.
http://betanews.com/2015/06/11/windows-phone-security-is-top-notch-says-kaspersky/
https://mspoweruser.com/hacker-claims-windows-phone-the-most-secure-smartphone-os/

Due to a confluence of events and lack of popularity on Windows phones, crazy good prices just came and went with Black Friday to Cyber Monday sales. EXCELLENT prices. Unlocked and the best interface going (works on all carriers and fast manufacturer updates). Their two flagship 950 phones spec like the Iphone7 or Samsung Galaxy S7 and in some ways better (at notably less than half the price with the sale). And the more budget oriented 640/650 was something like a $100.

As mentioned there is an app gap so it may not be for you if you are an app junky. Still, it has many apps for the masses and the big ones. I have various. The Windows 10 phones even have a digital assistant, Cortana, like Siri.

I got the Lumia 950 XL and 950 at a great discount. Been using them for over six months; very happy and can answer any questions. Love the interface of Windows 10 phones; the system and interface is great for learning, simplicity and overlap as well as interoperable use with my computers which also run Windows 10.

Buying an unlocked phone let me stay on my old cell phone plan with 5 gigs data. Those new plans have crazy prices. My monthly costs are around 1/2 price of those new plans in ON. It's notably cheaper in the long run to buy a new phone outright unlocked and use an older plan than it is to get a new phone subsidized with a new plan.

if any body really cared about risky androids and their security, they be using one of the latest BlackBerry offerings.
BB gave their security key to the RCMP. Secure? lol
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ry-concerned&p=2438675&viewfull=1#post2438675

Last edited:

Its apparent, very few people care, so its not really a big deal, is it?

Except the "new" Blackberrys are Android, and can download from untrusted sites just like every other Android phone.
The Blackberry OS was fairly secure.
If you want security: encrypt EVERYTHING, but even that won't secure you from the pros.

As most would already know already, I'd rather trade a bit of freedom for security. I don't like being tied down being told what to do

Back
Top Bottom