Best place to buy wood flooring? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best place to buy wood flooring?

Bump!

Looking for hardwood. Not engineered or laminate. Doing about 1600 sqft.
We have a general contractor as part of other work being done, but don't like any of their selection of wood and also feel we can save a few $k on their prices.
We are going to be living here for a long time and want it to look and feel right.
Mississauga area is best if you have any showroom suggestions.
Thanks!

http://forloversofwood.com/

Their site may give you an idea of available woods and comparative prices. I've only purchased rough stock from them.

If you're looking at full solid.

with all due respect , A&M, which is owned by Upper Canada FP, is about the last place to shop for hardwood flooring , its not there core product and you'll pay a premium unlike any other. And they have no flooring showroom.

Still not cheap but Exotic in Burlington has a flooring line and an extensive showroom, you'll see flooring that's not commonly available. Be prepared to be shocked at costs.

If run of the mill (pun) is more your style look at Alexanians, 28 colors and grades, Bruce hardwood brand is hard to beat, its Canadian made and also featured regularily in Home centers like Depot and Lowes, catch a sale and its hard to beat.

prefinished or installed, sanded and stained in place?
Prefinished.
As much of a Canadian product as possible is preferred. I've heard that most Canadian hardwood flooring is grown in Canada, assembled in China and sold back in Canada.
We did see some Bruce hardwood that was close to what we wanted, but we were in a smaller showroom, so the bigger the showroom the better. We don't mind spending a little extra for good quality - just want to keep it reasonable.

We're going to Lowes today to look at other stuff, so I'll check out what they have there.

Prefinished.
As much of a Canadian product as possible is preferred. I've heard that most Canadian hardwood flooring is grown in Canada, assembled in China and sold back in Canada.
We did see some Bruce hardwood that was close to what we wanted, but we were in a smaller showroom, so the bigger the showroom the better. We don't mind spending a little extra for good quality - just want to keep it reasonable.

We're going to Lowes today to look at other stuff, so I'll check out what they have there.

Lots is grown here, manufactured in China and shipped back. But you have options and if your staying in your house please explore them.
Bruce is made in Quebec, its a Canadian product , which is why they are limited to domestic species, you wont find Acacia or Jotoba.

My favorite is Superior flooring , its made by Herwynen sawmill in Guelph and finished in thier own UV line plant on the 7th line Eramosa just outside Guelph, there is a showroom there. They offer the longest lenghts in the industry so the installation is neater and looks more uniform. And faster. Not badly priced and the UV cured finish is about as durable as it gets.

Offshore, and a lot of domestic manufactures will use 'shorts' , it needs to fit in the 48" or 60" box, its much cheaper to buy as a wholesale undressed pc of wood. Other than flooring there is no market for 24-38" pcs of wood. The furniture industry used to use it for framestock but that's largely gone to plywood for upholstered furniture.
When they are selling 'tavern grade' or rustic, its just the crappy lumber that wont grade out for clears and premium. It has character so they would have you believe.

Just so you know formaldahyde is a naturally occuring thing in all wood, they will make NAUF, which means no added urea formaldahyde , and Carb11, which is the California law adopted for all NA on formaldahyde compliance, but there is always some. Carpet has way more than wood flooring and a walk in a swampy part of the forest will have you inhailing gallons.

AA flooring

Went to Lowes and didn't really like what was on offer.
Superior Flooring looks exactly like what we want.
AA flooring sells the Superior line and looks like the prices overall are very fair for a local product.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom