Street Triple for $850...MINI VAN over 5 THOUSAND!! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Street Triple for $850...MINI VAN over 5 THOUSAND!!

Owen

I've had a bike for 3 years and am currently quoted at $850 for the year on a Triumph Street Triple on the base package with fire/theft and collision added. I upgraded everything that made sense (loss of wages, medical coverage, catastrophic coverage, liability) and it's only just over $1300 for the year.

Same company (TD insurance) has quoted me on a Honda Oddessy, Toyota Sieana and Dodge Caravan all over $5000 for the year with fire/theft and collision.

I haven't had car insurance for 10 years and they don't take the motorcycle insurance in to consideration. My first year on a motorcycle was around $1500 but with only liability (also a Ninja 500).

Where do I go for car insurance? I've had a few quotes from other companies and they're all over $4000 so far. How does this even make sense? I get it that I'm a "new" driver to insurance companies but holy hell, that's insane! For a damn mini van!

EDIT: The mini vans were all 2008-ish.
I also have no kids to take to soccer and just want some space for activities, like taking a nap.

Last edited:
Bro! I have the same Street Triple and Odyssey combo, heh.

It is ridiculous, a scam basically to get people to stay insured. I think there's an out though. I went without a car for 2 years (though I was still riding) and when I went to buy insurance again all I needed was to find my last auto insurance account info and they were able to use that to get me a normal rate.

Still ridiculous but maybe that helps.

Bro! I have the same Street Triple and Odyssey combo, heh.

I

Let's start the most hilarious motorcycle club ever.

Although, I'm leaning towards the Toyota cause it offers AWD and primarily a winter get-around car.

Unfortunately, my last car insurance policy was so long ago that it doesn't come in to consideration. A few agents have tried.

You should be looking at around $2000 give or take a couple hundred bucks. Report back...

$4000 for full coverage. With renters insurance added, it'll come down %15 to a still outrageous $3400.

The cheapest quotes I've had are $3300 from Zenith.

If I worked a minimum wage job, it'd take me almost 3 months to pay for insurance as a new driver at the age of 32. What the hell is wrong with this situation? I'm not trying to insure a corvette!!

$4000 for full coverage. With renters insurance added, it'll come down %15 to a still outrageous $3400.

The cheapest quotes I've had are $3300 from Zenith.

If I worked a minimum wage job, it'd take me almost 3 months to pay for insurance as a new driver at the age of 32. What the hell is wrong with this situation? I'm not trying to insure a corvette!!

Wow...I got liability only on a 06 Acura TL for 1800 bucks full coverage was 22-2300. I'm 26 with 1 ticket and it was my first time going solo on car insurance.

There's got to be some tickets or something you're not telling us about, 4k is outrageous. I'm paying 4500 for two bikes and a car.

Wow...I got liability only on a 06 Acura TL for 1800 bucks full coverage was 22-2300. I'm 26 with 1 ticket and it was my first time going solo on car insurance.

There's got to be some tickets or something you're not telling us about, 4k is outrageous. I'm paying 4500 for two bikes and a car.

Clean record. How could I get a Triumph Street Triple for $850 with any tickets? I renewed my policy on that bike about 6 weeks ago.

You might be paying cheaper if you were listed on someone elses policy before going on your own. I'm starting from scratch with cars.

What size engine does your Acura have? Could it tow an ultra light trailer with a track bike (sub-800 pounds total)?

Clean record. How could I get a Triumph Street Triple for $850 with any tickets? I renewed my policy on that bike about 6 weeks ago.

You might be paying cheaper if you were listed on someone elses policy before going on your own. I'm starting from scratch with cars.

What size engine does your Acura have? Could it tow an ultra light trailer with a track bike (sub-800 pounds total)?

The TL is a V6 with about 270hp and a stick shift so a reasonably sized trailer shouldn’t be too bad. I was never on an auto policy, although through Jevco and then Intact who insured my 250 I had a clause where I was covered for liability under my own policy on any vehicle I operated AS LONG AS the vehicle was properly insured. That’s no longer available.

When I bought the TL I transferred ownership to my dad tax free so he had it insured for cheap under his policy and I drove it around for two years. Now I’ve got reasonable insurance so I transferred it back to myself and insured it for a little less than 1800.

Wawanesa who insures my Ducati looked at me as a new driver and gave me similar quotes of $4000-4500 but Aviva who I’ve got my 250 with came through for me. They also dropped my 250 from $80 to 70 a month, can’t complain…

Have you tried Des Jardin?

Prior record:
At fault accident in 2010 in a car.

At 24, living in Vaughan, when I had a standalone policy for the bike, (Ninja 300), I paid ~$1500/yr for full coverage (with TD). Paid ~$3000/yr for full coverage on a 2015 Subaru Impreza with DesJardin.

At 25, I now live in Richmond Hill, with liability + fire and theft, I pay $650/yr for the bike (with DesJardin), and bundled my car for $2500/yr full coverage. I should probably check to move my home-owners insurance as well to see if I could get it lower.

I did have a bit of driving experience beforehand, but can't imagine getting much higher rates that I got given my age with a prior at-fault claim. (and yes, everything is in my name)

TDLR, paying ~$3100/yr for car and bike with an at fault claim in the car.

Last edited:
Ended up with $3250 with my G2 but will drop to $2950 in 2 weeks when I pass my G test.
(all my other crazy quotes were based on having my G license)
But I have to take a $450 renters insurance policy with that, which isn't a bad thing.

My Street Triple and Yamaha Wr250x are separate from the car policy.

Insurance is insane.

If you can get with The Personal I pay $187/month for all 3 of my vehicles at 32 living in Toronto.

Back
Top Bottom