Motorcycle Tank passenger handle | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Tank passenger handle

Yeah but I'm not gonna change bikes for a girl. Motorcycle>Girl
Even if I had loads of ca$h and I bought another bike it wouldn't be specifically for 2up riding.

Besides she finds the VFR comfortable, she just saw the handle on IG and I was curious about it cause I've never seen it before.

Better choice:
3)She enjoys being a passenger on the super comfy VFR until she's ready to get her license, and then she'll buy her own bike.
...preferably a Honda :p

If she finds the VFR comfortable why would she want the handle? She can just grab on your hips, when you slow down or break, she only has to put more pressure on her pegs and tuck in a lil (no leaning, no tensing). If I am in the back, my driver actually prefers me to sit close and grab on him so we both can be one solid piece at turns.

Honda 500 or under is weak sauce :p (except for the CRF250X)

Anyway, I think she's just new to riding. She will get used to. There is no need of the handle.

If she finds the VFR comfortable why would she want the handle? She can just grab on your hips
:banghead:

Because there's the possibility that she could be more comfortable. (i.e. My VFR, to me, is comfortable. It is now more comfortable with the Sargent seat...and will be more comfortable with risers/larger screen/better suspension/cup holders etc etc)

The handles (whether its the stock passenger handrails, or the "buddy belt", or the tank mounted ones etc etc) are there for added stability for the passenger and, depending on the person, added confidence. Everyone is different and some people are fine holding onto certain handles over others and some prefer holding onto the rider, and some prefer or don't care for either.
You can't compare what you think or feel is comfortable to what another passenger prefers.

As a passenger she is doing extremely well. She listened to all the advice I gave her and does a great job at being a passenger. (one such piece of advice I'll share with you):

... when you slow down or break, she only has to put more pressure on her pegs and tuck in a lil (no leaning, no tensing).

When I slow down or brake, she places her hands flat on the tank to stop her from sliding forward. Her hands end up close to where the "tank handles" would end up being. She maintains her stability during braking that way. That's what I've always recommended for passengers and seems to work best imo.

If I am in the back, my driver actually prefers me to sit close and grab on him so we both can be one solid piece at turns.

Another example of how everyone is different :). I dislike it when a passenger sits too close to me. IMO it's a recipe for bumping helmets and smashing nuts on the tank. My seat has separate sections for the rider and passenger for a reason. As it is now she does a great job at doing neither of those things.
Like I said before, she just saw the handle on IG, showed me the picture and I thought what a neat idea.
...and anything to make her more comfortable riding on the VFR I'd consider.

This thread isn't about whether the handles are necessary. I'm asking if anyone has used them and what their opinions are on it. (and I'm getting some great opinions on the belt system too)

Honda 500 or under is weak sauce :p (except for the CRF250X)

Really? :rolleyes:

Every single Motorcycle Honda has ever made that is 500cc's or under is "weak sauce"? :roll:

...and the cup holder comment was a joke btw. :D

Last edited:
Since you're mentioning about the cup holder, I highly recommend the golden wing (cuz you're a Honda fan) too :p

I put my hands on the tank when breaking too but I have to adjust myself every time the driver gets going again. It's honestly not comfortable at all and most passengers are okay with it cuz it's the most common method that is preferred by the drivers.. I'm speaking as a passenger duhhh.

Not trying to be against the handle but I feel like in the event of an accident, the passenger hands may be stuck on it. It's kinda dangerous. :-/

Last edited:
I picked up a tank handle and installed it yesterday.
The wife really likes it.

We only puttered around though. Haven't gone on a long ride yet.

35127172696_ea560c1121_c.jpg

I picked up a tank handle and installed it yesterday.
The wife really likes it.

We only puttered around though. Haven't gone on a long ride yet.

35127172696_ea560c1121_c.jpg

Nice! Where'd you get it from?

Why are they not putting shear pins in these? Jeebus. They look strong and well made and like they would mess you right up in a crash. The difference between crash loading and riding is so large, it is incredibly simple to put in a failure spot to save your nuts. Not for me thx.

Why are they not putting shear pins in these? Jeebus. They look strong and well made and like they would mess you right up in a crash. The difference between crash loading and riding is so large, it is incredibly simple to put in a failure spot to save your nuts. Not for me thx.

It crossed my mind too, but seeing the dents on tanks from the pubis hitting it in a crash, I figured even without the grab rail, the damage is already done :p

Nice! Where'd you get it from?

I ordered directly from A-Sider in Spain. $177 Canadian, shipped to my door.

There's a cheaper version available on ebay for $80 or so, but its plastic (high strength polyamide, they called it)

Back
Top Bottom