Torque Wrench Calibration | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Torque Wrench Calibration

We use an accelerometer before and after a torquing operation(just to verify the torque wrench maintained it's calibration) in the nuclear industry. The wrench doesn't have to be the very best since the accelerometer sets up the wrench for success. We have to document equipment number, tool number, accelerometer number and values in work reports for traceability. I know most folks don't have access to an accelerometer but it suggests any adjustment of said wrench (without accel) may not ensure a dead accurate torque value. Perhaps over-kill for 'shade tree mechanic' but there is a possibility of over reliance on the wrench proper accuracy. Yes we are paranoid about everything lol. Like a previous post, consistency (without interrupting the adjustment) aught to remain stable.

Glad I bumped into this thread. Going to be replacing some spark plugs on the cars in the next week or so and am looking for a good torque wrench for the home garage mechanic! Might be dropping by CT to pick up a torque wrench tonight, or to PA on Dixie. Depends on time.

Just thinking and yeah it hurts, but one day I'm going to try to make my bench grinder into a toque wrench calibrator.

It has two wheels so fit a wrench on one side with a lift point 12" out from the wheel centre. Hang an appropriate weight on the wrench, say 50 pounds.

Set the torque wrench to 50 pounds and using the appropriate socket see if it clicks when the other side is tightened. You would have to make sure you didn't over torque the wheels and just in case an idiot is reading this, don't turn the grinder on.

Back
Top Bottom