Ecoplug Pansaver - has anybody used this? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ecoplug Pansaver - has anybody used this?

BeastieGirl

So I went to change my oil for winter storage and could not get the drain plug to tighten properly. I tried the easiest and cheapest solution first - new drain plug - same result. So the stripped threads are in the pan which is what I suspected - it did that tighten-loosen cycle. I've researched a few options, including in this forum, even if just to get oil in the bike for winter storage and look at a more permanent solution in the spring and this actually looks like something I could do myself. Thought I would see if anyone has experience with them? The website doesn't give model specific matchups but I think I can probably measure the bolt - even with my limited technical expertise :)

If you're just worried about the winter, don't - the oil all just sits in the pan anyways. The only thing coating the engine is the residue from the last time you ran the bike.

Second, take a good close look at the drain plug opening. If it's cracked (which is common), then your options are pretty limited

It's an M14 bolt. That unit is not that hard to repair the threads. Your local shop shop be able to replace the threads with an insert fairly easily, provided the pan isn't cracked.

Edit: As for keeping oil in the pan over the winter try just threading the drain bolt back in and not tightening it all the way up. Either way you will have to take all the oil back out again in the spring when you fix the threads. This might be easier to deal with now, as shops tend to be busy in the spring...

Last edited:
Once you get it re-threaded, you might want to look into a drain valve like the Stahlbus just so you never need to remove it again to change oil. Would prevent any possible future damage, or in case things are weaker after the repair.

I would try to clean up (chase) the thread before I rammed that thing in.
Once you install your Ecoplug Pansaver that M14 thread is gone, never to be used again.

You can get a M14 spark plug thread repair kit at Princess Auto or any bike shop.
If that doesn't work the next thing I would try is a thread insert... installed by someone that knows what they're doing.

Just going to replace the pan- its only $160 for my bike and looks like its easily accessible so maybe a couple of hours labour - I just plunked down $700 for a GPS so not going to cheap out for such a major safety issue - especially since I average about 30,000 km's a season so that's a lot of oil changes on a repaired thread. When I'm doing long road trips I need the peace of mind that all is tip top on my bike.

If you get an m16 plug and tap with the same pitch as the orig m14 plug you might not even have to redrill it ..

Back
Top Bottom