Toronto City Workers Sick Days | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto City Workers Sick Days

I'm pretty certain that city workers have it easy compared to most... I'd go so far to say that I'm sure any two city worker's jobs, combined, are equal to or less than the workload of a private sector worker in a similar position.
You do not work on the private sector do you lol.

Yea, it's like the whole BS that all Teachers go home at 3, yet to meet one that does that.
I know one teacher that's on her way home before 2 p.m. what's that got to do with this? I also met a nice lady who worked for the city who bragged about getting a temporary handicapped sticker after spraining her ankle, and had just gotten it renewed because it was just so gosh darn convenient. Actually, it was during the day, that I saw her, maybe she was on disability at the time.

The one guy who goes off for two years because of cancer or whatever will skew the numbers, but I'm sure you know that and realize it isn't 16 days per person (even though I believe the national average is 10+ days)

Nice try, but the numbers are annual. And if you don't like the 16 day per person average, then maybe you'll like the opposite point... out of 3100 employees, 245 are missing an entire year of work and getting paid for it. That's 12% of the workforce, no matter which way you wanna spin the math.

And the Ontario average days lost per worker for illness or disability is 6, so your fellow city leeches are almost tripling the average.

Butcher the unions! You can put this through the spin cycle as many times as you want, but the city is bleeding money and the reason is very simple: horrible bargaining with employee unions.

Nice try, but the numbers are annual. And if you don't like the 16 day per person average, then maybe you'll like the opposite point... out of 3100 employees, 245 are missing an entire year of work and getting paid for it. That's 12% of the workforce, no matter which way you wanna spin the math.

And the Ontario average days lost per worker for illness or disability is 6, so your fellow city leeches are almost tripling the average.

Butcher the unions! You can put this through the spin cycle as many times as you want, but the city is bleeding money and the reason is very simple: horrible bargaining with employee unions.
Yes. I didn't mean a few being off for extended periods would skew the average, I meant all the days were used by 245 being off for a year.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1480075262104.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1480075262104.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 25
No one's disputing the fact that public sector take more sick days than private sector employees. I was only showing national average.

Brb calling in sick today

I have several friends on the civil servant ticket, available a lot of afternoons for motorcycle rides, think nothing of calling in sick for a hangover and take every one of the bargained for sick days. Two actually will be "sick" the day before a vacation so if leaving on Friday is a better deal for flights, they are in.
My only complaint? I wasn't clever enough to get on the train. Because I would be rocking the boat or helping change from within, I'd be looking down the pipe at my pretty awesome pension, being out at 55 and getting paid really nice increases if that storm sewer needs to have me look down the hole at 9pm.
Until we put somebody in charge from the top down, because mid level managers aren't rocking that boat either, nothing will change.

I'm pretty certain that city workers have it easy compared to most... I'd go so far to say that I'm sure any two city worker's jobs, combined, are equal to or less than the workload of a private sector worker in a similar position.

Pretty ignorant statement.

Come do my job for a day. I work in employment and social services. On any given day, I deal with more misery than many of us will ever see in our lives.
I come home mentally exhausted from work most days, but at least I know I've helped people.

Of the 150 or so people in my office, there's maybe 3 or 4 who are chronic absentees & we all know who they are and they are not very respected.

Come do my job for a day. I work in employment and social services. On any given day, I deal with more misery than many of us will ever see in our lives.
I come home mentally exhausted from work most days, but at least I know I've helped people.

Of the 150 or so people in my office, there's maybe 3 or 4 who are chronic absentees & we all know who they are and they are not very respected.

What a inefficient cluster **** that dept is. I deal with them fairly regularly... more than I should have to.
I'm sure there are some that put in an honest day... but how many lazy bums do you work with... not just those that don't show up?

Lol.. so you come home tired from work? Gold star for you!

The company, like any other company.

The citizens of Toronto are in essence the shareholders of the company, paying for the excesses. Unlike private companies there is no competition to keep things in check. I can't sub my street maintenance out to Mississauga if I felt they did a better job.

What a inefficient cluster **** that dept is. I deal with them fairly regularly... more than I should have to.
I'm sure there are some that put in an honest day... but how many lazy bums do you work with... not just those that don't show up?

The only people that deal with us regularly are clients.
Of course if you were a client you wouldn't be on this site because you couldn't afford a motorcycle unless you were ripping us off. Which is a whole other issue.

I could write a book!

Last edited:
Contrast: Self-employed and small business.

If I don't work, I don't get paid. Simple as that.

Worse ... If I have a sick day, I have to spend unbillable hours rescheduling whatever had been scheduled for that day. And dealing with ticked off customers.

Car has to go in for an oil change (i.e. right now)? Can't schedule anything else in that time slot. Unpaid.

Benefits? Hah! If I go to the dentist it's on my nickel. If I need new glasses it's on my nickel. Pension? Hah! Retirement planning is on me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing okay, but there's a lot of people that expect things to be handed to them.

My lawyer lost his clerk to the city not over wages but he couldn't afford to match the benefit plan.

Rob Ford and then Tory were aiming at privatizing garbage collection until the union, only when its back was to the wall, suddenly found cost cutting measures.

Government jobs have security and nothing destroys productivity like not having to worry about someone taking your job.

I wish I had the time to research how much the city spends on legal fees to protect themselves from the stupidity of some of the employees.

Back
Top Bottom