Toronto City Workers Sick Days | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toronto City Workers Sick Days

6 months per year!

Another Mayor on crack.

Hope none of you take the Gardiner or DVP, if you do then be prepared for the early Prostate exam.

No surprise there

These aren't "sick days", this is short term disability. They are also likely paid by the insurance company while off, not the city.

Still, That's an extremely generous plan.

I'm a unionized municipal employee and we get 7 paid sick days and I believe 17 weeks of short term 100% paid disability. In my experience when guys do go off it's legit, hurt backs, illness etc. There are always a few who will abuse the system of course.

Sensationalist headline, misleading article

Last edited:
6 months per year!

Read more than just the first paragraph ... not that it's not generous/outragous, but the way I understand it, 180days is for LTD, not your normal sick day ...

These aren't "sick days", this is short term disability. They are also likely paid by the insurance company while off, not the city.

I'm a unionized municipal employee and we get 7 paid sick days and I believe 17 weeks of short term 100% paid disability. In my experience when guys do go off it's legit, hurt backs, illness etc. There are always a few who will abuse the system of course.

Quite so ... what is more interesting is the end of the article ... dollar amounts per departments due to absenteeism.

Yea, it's like the whole BS that all Teachers go home at 3, yet to meet one that does that.

I work for the city, but stayed on the old sick plan. I have a lot of sick days banked. Why? Because I take maybe 1 or 2 sick days a year. When I'm actually sick.

You can blame this all on the City for thinking they could save money with a plan that backfired on them. There are a few people who take advantage, and its a real PITA covering for them, but I can't see how these people could do it without being in collusion with their doctors.

TFS has 402,860 absentee hours... For 3100 employees? That's 16 friggin days off for every single worker.

Spin it how you want, but that's ridiculous. And Tory wants toll roads? How about a council that works on SAVING money instead of introducing yet another cash grab. Sickening. That's union nonsense for ya.

TFS has 402,860 absentee hours... For 3100 employees? That's 16 friggin days off for every single worker.

Spin it how you want, but that's ridiculous. And Tory wants toll roads? How about a council that works on SAVING money instead of introducing yet another cash grab. Sickening. That's union nonsense for ya.

uhm...wuts dat?

Who pays the insurance premium? If the workers are abusing the system the insurers raise the rates and the taxpayer gets stuck with the tab.

At least with car insurance bad drivers pay their own way.

Some city departments are running at a fraction of required staff levels because of absenteeism. In some cases it is because of stress for working under incompetent managers.

"City spokesman Wynna Brown confirmed Monday that the city self-insures its plan, as does the TTC — meaning the city pays the salaries and benefits of those on LTD"

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/0...bility-plan-rewards-insurer-for-high-caseload

The one guy who goes off for two years because of cancer or whatever will skew the numbers, but I'm sure you know that and realize it isn't 16 days per person (even though I believe the national average is 10+ days)

Who pays the insurance premium? If the workers are abusing the system the insurers raise the rates and the taxpayer gets stuck with the tab.

At least with car insurance bad drivers pay their own way.
The company, like any other company.

I work for the city, but stayed on the old sick plan. I have a lot of sick days banked. Why? Because I take maybe 1 or 2 sick days a year. When I'm actually sick.

You can blame this all on the City for thinking they could save money with a plan that backfired on them. There are a few people who take advantage, and its a real PITA covering for them, but I can't see how these people could do it without being in collusion with their doctors.

I'm pretty certain that city workers have it easy compared to most... I'd go so far to say that I'm sure any two city worker's jobs, combined, are equal to or less than the workload of a private sector worker in a similar position.

Back
Top Bottom