What lugnuts do I need for these wheels? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What lugnuts do I need for these wheels?

unL33T

I've been told I've been running the wrong lug nuts for 2 years now by 2 different mechanics. But when I ask them which ones I need they just say "flatter ones". One day all 5 nuts came loose on one wheel all by themselves and the holes in the rims are starting to look deformed so I better get this fixed. Right now I'm using the conical base ones that came on the car with steel winter wheels.

My vehicle is a 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander. 85% sure the rims came off a Lancer (don't know what year).

I'm leaning towards mag style bolts but I'm not sure.

Pictures incoming...

qJz4NWQ.jpg

SetknED.jpg

Most lug nuts have a conical flange, and rims are usually thinner than yours so the cone tightens into the hole and keeps everything aligned. Maybe you need lug nuts with a flat flange because the rim is so thick. I'm not a mechanic or anything, but thats my 2c

...oh yeah.....
Dorman sells them as singles, set of 5, set of 16 (To be used with 4 locks) or a set of 20.
Cheapest in a set of 20.

would not a Mitsubishi dealer be able to tell you exactly what is needed....?
Quite possibly but I hardly ever go to the dealer and they'll try to get me to buy them through them at an inflated price. I've been trying to make an appointment with them for over a month for a recall but they still don't have parts.
You probably have something that looks like this
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...MRvWj2tnMZ6PsutZW9SDS48wwloCiJvBrCFjo4RhR2LvQ

Where as you want something like this
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl...rzQAhUi_IMKHTNcCN0QMwhKKBcwFw&iact=mrc&uact=8

Any auto jobber can get them for you, they're a lot cheaper than at the dealership or a tire shop. The "Dorman" lugnuts on my Olds were about a buck each.

That's what I figured. Mag style. I can get a full set of 20 for $36 from Rock Auto. They actually show up in the list of optional wheel bolts for the car so I presumed they were probably what I was after. Just wanted a second opinion.

This is the model Rock Auto has for the car: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=970980&cc=1431675&jsn=417

Last edited:
Don't bother going to the dealership. Call their parts department and they should be able to get you the info. Even if just the part number you can go from there.

Otherwise I'd call some aftermarket shops, tell them the make and model and they should be able to get you the info on the nuts required.

Don't bother going to the dealership. Call their parts department and they should be able to get you the info. Even if just the part number you can go from there.

Otherwise I'd call some aftermarket shops, tell them the make and model and they should be able to get you the info on the nuts required.

just by going to dealership don't mean he has to buy them there, ask to see one, take a picture, get the part number and leave, no one is going to force you to buy the part, especially if you don't like the price, ohh and no appointment necessary, just go to the parts counter....

he went to 2 mechanics, neither told him which nut is correct, so why trust an after market shop, hit the dealer up for the correct info, and then get the nut wherever you want....

hopefully you get the right nut, and your not one of those statistics of the wheel flying off, just last night on the news was another SUV, after a winter tire install the tire came flying off....not sure if it was an independent or from a dealership

find a local tire and mag shop. I have found my local to have the best options at the best prices. I use Pickering Tire and Mag on Bayly. Honest guy with fair prices.

Also there should be some markings on the back of the wheel which will help you solve what yr Lancer the wheels came from originally.

Back
Top Bottom