Motorcycle stands vs. jack lift??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle stands vs. jack lift???

eevveess

It's the time of the year when we start talking about winter storage... sad... :(

I'm still debating between getting a pair of lift stands or a jack lift stand for my Fz-07. Pros and Cons???? Any opinion on this guys?

What about the bike stand chocks? Are they ideal for winter storage? My understanding is to keep the wheels off the ground. The wheel is still in contact with the metal of the chock. This will still affect the tire... no?

Anyone knows of spools that are compatible with the Fz-07? Maybe I should just measure the socket or bolt

Hmmm too much thinking... ayyaaa

Lifts usually only work if your frame rails are exposed on the bottom equally and not obstructed by exhaust pipes, etc. You can get rear stands that have an arm, so you don't need spools. My Hindle rear stand has arms I attach, to convert it. Lots of inexpensive paddock stands available. Many under $100. The idea is to get weight off the tire so it doesn't flat spot. Not as big a deal on street rubber, just move the bike a bit every month or lift it a bit and rotate the tires.

No. That won't work.

Stands are cheap (weren't you looking for cheap oil?)

I have a proper lift for a sport bike, one that lifts entire bike and then use stands on it, cheapest I've found it is $399 on clearance from PA, down from $599.

How about just auto Jacks under foot pegs? Take most of weight off if that's just what you are looking for.

Maintenance/tire changes /storage = get stands or a proper hoisting setup.

I might be showing my age here, but have you considered a centre stand? If your bike didn't come equipped with one (for the life of me I don't understand why all non-race replicas and non-boulevard cruisers don't have them) then see if you can get one aftermarket. Some bikes are fitted to have one but don't come with one stock from the factory. They make day to day life SOOOOO much easier. Need to lube the chain? Pop it up on the centre stand. Need to clean the chain? Pop it up on the centre stand. Want to wash the bike? Pop it up on the centre stand. Want to store the bike for the winter? .....you guessed it, pop it up on the centre stand!

For a street bike like your FZ-07 you would never notice it on the bike. Anyone who says they do or that it effects their cornering on the street is either a whiner or going way to fast for public roads. In the past, a lack of a centre stand has been a deal breaker for me and certain bikes. It would have to be one hell of a bike to get me to buy a bike without one.

It's the time of the year when we start talking about winter storage... sad... :(

I'm still debating between getting a pair of lift stands or a jack lift stand for my Fz-07. Pros and Cons???? Any opinion on this guys?

What about the bike stand chocks? Are they ideal for winter storage? My understanding is to keep the wheels off the ground. The wheel is still in contact with the metal of the chock. This will still affect the tire... no?

Anyone knows of spools that are compatible with the Fz-07? Maybe I should just measure the socket or bolt

Hmmm too much thinking... ayyaaa
In theory getting the tires off ground on jack is good...if you only have stands with tires on ground once a month move the tire position so that flat spots don't develope. I like to jack my bikes off the ground for price of mind...look on Kijiji for a deal on a good floor jack or look for can tire or princess auto for a deal..

. For winterizing I like to: clean bike, grease all pivot points, full tank of gas with stabile, fresh oil change and change any necessary fluids, take out plug and fog engine and plug up exhaust. Some say over kill but this procedure never caused me a problem. During winter I like to tinker with any mods and be ready fro spring! Hope this helps!!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Get spindles on eBay ...also get a front lift... Bike lift, hindel or pit bull make good ones it will get Bike off ground...you can find on Kijiji used or various bike shops..

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

No. That won't work.

Stands are cheap (weren't you looking for cheap oil?)

Haha I was.

I bought a pair of Venom (the one with paddles) for my 250 and they worked well for one season. Somehow the rear stand just can't hold on the swingarms anymore... ugh... I dun want to be cheap on them especially for my baby Fz07 :) I am just looking for the best solution, checked with kapskomoto, they dun have spools for the Fz-07 :(

No thanks to rear stand cuz the bike is sexy on it kick stand :p

For a street bike like your FZ-07 you would never notice it on the bike. Anyone who says they do or that it effects their cornering on the street is either a whiner or going way to fast for public roads. In the past, a lack of a centre stand has been a deal breaker for me and certain bikes. It would have to be one hell of a bike to get me to buy a bike without one.

People are willing to suffer for fashion and manufacturers are willing to profit from that desire. Agree with you on centre stands though. Not digging out my Pitbulls for general maintenance, or even winter storage.

I personally loved having an ABBA stand...just slip a foam under the rear tire (front will likely be floating), and you're golden.

The jack won't work on your bike. Get a set of stands and spools for the swingarm. You'll have the stands for your next bike.

Haha I was.

I bought a pair of Venom (the one with paddles) for my 250 and they worked well for one season. Somehow the rear stand just can't hold on the swingarms anymore... ugh... I dun want to be cheap on them especially for my baby Fz07 :) I am just looking for the best solution, checked with kapskomoto, they dun have spools for the Fz-07 :(

1) what is wrong with stand? Has it just been bent out of shape? Bend em back.
2) can you not replace paddles with spools?
3)vortex spools don't have anything for your bike?

Haha I was.

Clean the paddles. Chain oil and crap get caked under the swingarm and it needs to get cleaned as well.

or get the axle spools slowbird linked to.

I personally loved having an ABBA stand...just slip a foam under the rear tire (front will likely be floating), and you're golden.

Where'd you get yours and what was the cost? Debating getting on at some point to easily get both wheels off the ground (as I am not a fan of most front stands).

Back
Top Bottom