Buying an engine | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying an engine

bigpoppa

Buying a motorcycle engine, mostly to tinker with/get my hands dirty and to use as a learning experience

Brand/year/condition is irrelevant since it is essentially going to be used in experiments/dissections ;)

I only ask that it be in one piece and intact, and not be disassembled

Little tight on cash at the moment so i can spare a 100$? I can come pick it up

Thanks

(I'm also trying kijiji and other avenues, just thought id give the members here a chance to get rid of some junk ;)

I'm with frekeyguy, I've bought two complete old bikes, both came with complete engines. Each was $300. Better to end up with a toy at the end, for sure!

Just look through kijiji, I'm sure you'll find loads

I'm with frekeyguy, I've bought two complete old bikes, both came with complete engines. Each was $300. Better to end up with a toy at the end, for sure!

Just look through kijiji, I'm sure you'll find loads

plus it will also be a great time to check out how other systems work, like drive, fuel system, cooling system etc.

So many guys that dont have ownership, lol are these bikes stolen or what?

Im assuming ill have a headache with MTO when i try to transfer ownership?

If you're just going to tear into apart and it's never going to see the road ever again, the ownership doesn't much matter.

If you do want to register it regardless there's ways to accomplish it however, but taking the VIN to an MTO office and having it checked against the stolen registry might be worthwhile preemptively. There's an online tool somewhere I remember as well, Google may turn it up.

I made a post in my build thread about the process of getting ownership. It's not too hard, it can be done in an afternoon. Some ServiceOntario offices will not know about this process (the more urban ones), so you can either convince them to call someone who does know, or go to a more out-of-town one.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-DT400-Build&p=2456645&viewfull=1#post2456645

plus it will also be a great time to check out how other systems work, like drive, fuel system, cooling system etc.

Big +1 to that, it's how I've learned everything I know! That, and making mistakes and begging for the help of an online forum :D

Some quick tips I can pass down (from experience)

For tearing down old engines, you need a few tools. Impact driver (and youtube how to use it properly), and also drill + extractor set (this will get used a lot when the impact driver can't do the job). A tap and die set is a huge bonus too. Mine is constantly open on my workbench. A good non-marring hammer is important

For cleaning parts, I use a toothbrush sized scrub brush (I'm sure a good toothbrush would work too) and pure simple green from Canadian Tire. I don't know if this is the best method, but it sure works for me
For putting stuff back together, a torque wrench and the knowledge of how to use it. First time I used a torque wrench I blew right past the click and sheared the bolt :lmao:

Thank you good sir!

Big +1 to that, it's how I've learned everything I know! That, and making mistakes and begging for the help of an online forum :D

Some quick tips I can pass down (from experience)

For tearing down old engines, you need a few tools. Impact driver (and youtube how to use it properly), and also drill + extractor set (this will get used a lot when the impact driver can't do the job). A tap and die set is a huge bonus too. Mine is constantly open on my workbench. A good non-marring hammer is important

For cleaning parts, I use a toothbrush sized scrub brush (I'm sure a good toothbrush would work too) and pure simple green from Canadian Tire. I don't know if this is the best method, but it sure works for me
For putting stuff back together, a torque wrench and the knowledge of how to use it. First time I used a torque wrench I blew right past the click and sheared the bolt :lmao:

Lol nice, perfect timing too with christmas/sales coming around to buy some tools

Thats the idea, i want to work on a bike/engine to learn as much as possible

Iv send a few messages and offers, now i wait and see who bites

Lol nice, perfect timing too with christmas/sales coming around to buy some tools

Thats the idea, i want to work on a bike/engine to learn as much as possible

Iv send a few messages and offers, now i wait and see who bites

Sounds like a good plan! Proper tools are the best gift, they last forever and really save your *** if you treat them right. For me, there's nothing worse than trying to do a job with improper tools (ask me how I know)

Just to be clear, when I said impact driver, I meant the manual kind. These remove stuck machine screws easily. Just set it up and give it a good whack with a hammer. It should come with a few bits, phillips and slot etc etc.

I also have an electric impact wrench which definitely helps loosen some of the bigger bolts, but it doesn't get used too often compared to the others. Mine's a Mastercraft, I picked it up for something like 28$ when it was 75% off. Canadian Tire usually has stupid crazy sales on Mastercraft, which I find to be acceptable quality. You need special sockets to use with the impact wrench, as the torque can ruin a normal socket.

Oh speaking of tools, home depot has great prices on Motorcycle tenders right now, i bought mine a few weeks ago at canadian tire for 50, saw one for 35$ at home depot

Oh speaking of tools, home depot has great prices on Motorcycle tenders right now, i bought mine a few weeks ago at canadian tire for 50, saw one for 35$ at home depot

POstupalink!

cant find it on their site, but i saw it as i was browsing for torque wrenches and hex keys

Real (proper) tenders..or just trickle chargers?

PM sent.

If you want the engine for the purpose you stated, it will never ride again.
As a result, since it will never leave your garage, why worry about the ownership?
A bill of sale should be enough if the cops decide to raid your garage.
After all if it was stolen, who would give a bill of sale for it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom