Supersport, just a fantasy | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supersport, just a fantasy

uh, how does that work? Whose name(s) is(are) on the policy then? The policy covers the people named, and the vehicles covered...

Joint policy, I'm assuming it works like health insurance/benefits too.

25 years old, riding for 2 years, Full M with course. Thought insurance would drop on a supersport but nope. Its still above $4000 for a 600cc lol. Yet got quoted about $3000 on a Ninja 1000cc SX ( Sport touring ) which has more power than a 600.

My company won't insure me on an 80's CBR250RR as they say it's an SS. But they will insure my 2 stroke bike that was supposed to only be a track bike, they will insure me on an RC51, and I actually got a quote almost what I pay for my 125 2 stroke on a 1980 CBX1000 with 5x the HP.

Seems extremely off. I was quoted $3400 for 600cc supersports and im 20, have my m2 for a year and 1 year of continuous insurance. Didnt take it obviously as its still too high

I'm currently 18, I'm planning to start riding next year. I got an few quotes for 300/600's and those numbers were not that pretty for the 600's. I got quoted around $3000/year full coverage for either an 2016 Ninja 300 ABS/R3. The quotes for every 600's (ZX-6R ABS, GSX-R 600, R6 ABS, CBR600) were all over $11,000/year full coverage, which was pretty high, I was expecting around 6-8k per year for 600's. Do you think if I purchase an Ninja 300 ABS and ride it for one whole season, what are the chances that 600's quotes for me would drop below $5000? I really wanted to start on an ZX-6R ABS, but found it too tall for me (I'm 5'11), then I sat on the GSX-R, which then I fell in love with because it wasn't too tall or big for me, it felt like I was sitting on a 300, but I knew I had the power of an 600 below me. I was planning to ride with the Ninja 300 ABS for one season and switch to an 600 within the following year. What are your thoughts?

I'm currently 18, I'm planning to start riding next year. I got an few quotes for 300/600's and those numbers were not that pretty for the 600's. I got quoted around $3000/year full coverage for either an 2016 Ninja 300 ABS/R3. The quotes for every 600's (ZX-6R ABS, GSX-R 600, R6 ABS, CBR600) were all over $11,000/year full coverage, which was pretty high, I was expecting around 6-8k per year for 600's. Do you think if I purchase an Ninja 300 ABS and ride it for one whole season, what are the chances that 600's quotes for me would drop below $5000? I really wanted to start on an ZX-6R ABS, but found it too tall for me (I'm 5'11), then I sat on the GSX-R, which then I fell in love with because it wasn't too tall or big for me, it felt like I was sitting on a 300, but I knew I had the power of an 600 below me. I was planning to ride with the Ninja 300 ABS for one season and switch to an 600 within the following year. What are your thoughts?

Not a chance after one season. I'm waiting till I turn 30 with a full m license... but even at 6,000 a year (the lowest point in your estimate) can you afford 500 a month just in insurance?

6-8 grand in insurance is more than the bike will be worth

Also, if you buy the 300 new you're gonna get killed on resale value of the bike when you sell it. You're gonna have taxes, fees and stickers and all that ****

Conversely if you buy it used you're gonna have to pay some tax (wink wink) but then you'll also have to safety then both and all that ****.

I'd buy the 300 and enjoy it for a few years get your money out of it. Those bikes are sick.

A ninja 300 at 18 will be very expensive..a 600 SS is prohibitively expensive for me, probably same for you

Last edited:
Chalk up a win for the old guys...
1300cc FJR. .... $900/year for full coverage.

Of course our d***ks don't work as well as they used to, but who cares when your ins rates are affordable

Last edited:

Of course our d***ks don't work as well as they used to, but who cares when your ins rates are affordable
That's a good rate. Now get some quotes on a ss, like a r1 gsxr1000 s1000rr. Won't be as high as the kids, but it won't be near $900.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

7 hundred and something for me with collision at 43 and a buddy I ride with has a r1 and its 1400 for the year....neither rate is good in my eyes, When I started to ride I insured a bike for $300 at 16 years age.
When I glance over the fallen riders section, I see the rates are going to go up again.

That's a good rate. Now get some quotes on a ss, like a r1 gsxr1000 s1000rr. Won't be as high as the kids, but it won't be near $900.

I'm 50... a GSXR is not on my radar... Lol

In any case I think we can all agree the cost of ins. or rather the differing costs seem arbitrary, but really we're stuck...
Nowhere does it say ins. companies have to sell motorcycle coverage.
They can charge whatever they like.
'Guess it all depends on one's stomach for how much it's gonna cost to ride.

I'm currently 18... I got quoted around $3000/year full coverage for either an 2016 Ninja 300 ABS/R3. The quotes for every 600's (ZX-6R ABS, GSX-R 600, R6 ABS, CBR600) were all over $11,000/year full coverage, which was pretty high...

The ss 600 quote is an F-U quote, a polite way for the insurance company to tell you to get lost. If the insurance company offers bike insurance they are obligated by law to provide a quote. You are guaranteed that insurance is available but not guaranteed that it is affordable.

By law the insurer of last resort is Facility. You should, just for chuckles, as for a Facility insurance quote, just to see if it is below the $11k/yr.

I am questioning why you would want to pay even $3k/yr for insurance. Buy a used 250 or 300, get the cheapest insurance possible, without collision, ride for a couple of years. Save the difference for your next bike, or spend it on gear. You can lower the cost of riding, but you choose not to. $3k/yr is over double the insurance on my 2016 Honda Fit car.

The ss 600 quote is an F-U quote, a polite way for the insurance company to tell you to get lost. If the insurance company offers bike insurance they are obligated by law to provide a quote. You are guaranteed that insurance is available but not guaranteed that it is affordable.

By law the insurer of last resort is Facility. You should, just for chuckles, as for a Facility insurance quote, just to see if it is below the $11k/yr.

I am questioning why you would want to pay even $3k/yr for insurance. Buy a used 250 or 300, get the cheapest insurance possible, without collision, ride for a couple of years. Save the difference for your next bike, or spend it on gear. You can lower the cost of riding, but you choose not to. $3k/yr is over double the insurance on my 2016 Honda Fit car.

Honestly if i could id trade down to a 300, those little bikes are so much fun....light weight, rev to the moon, cheap insurance, useable power....whats not to like!?

I'm 50... a GSXR is not on my radar... Lol

In any case I think we can all agree the cost of ins. or rather the differing costs seem arbitrary, but really we're stuck...
Nowhere does it say ins. companies have to sell motorcycle coverage.
They can charge whatever they like.
'Guess it all depends on one's stomach for how much it's gonna cost to ride.
Agreed. I don't ride a ss either. When buying my last bike, insurance figured in. Decided to buy a versys 650 as I like paying $500/year. Most of my riding is 1000km days in Muskoka/Kawarthas, I don't need a touring bike and don't want a ss. Adventure bikes are my choice.

Agreed. I don't ride a ss either. When buying my last bike, insurance figured in. Decided to buy a versys 650 as I like paying $500/year. Most of my riding is 1000km days in Muskoka/Kawarthas, I don't need a touring bike and don't want a ss. Adventure bikes are my choice.

Amen. Not against SS(They're just financially unfeasible) and touring bikes are just hella ugly(and heavy)

dual sports/v stroms all the way

Amen. Not against SS(They're just financially unfeasible) and touring bikes are just hella ugly(and heavy)

dual sports/v stroms all the way

I do likes me the "sport touring" genre...
Hence my last bike was a 1250 Bandit and current bike a FJR 1300....

I do likes me the "sport touring" genre...
Hence my last bike was a 1250 Bandit and current bike a FJR 1300....

I need me a 650 dual sport in my life
dr650..or maybe klr

Back
Top Bottom