Leather Glove Repair?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Leather Glove Repair??

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
I've given up trying to contact Jimmy from Velocity / FiredUP and looking to have my glove repaired.

No accident, or anything like that but it looks like the thin leather on the bottom of the wrist (where velcro strap is connected) just tore. Not sure from what, but it may be from pulling glove on in that area and it just failed. It seems to be fairly thin, and I love the gloves but would like to get it repaired as it's a shame. You can see the water proof layer below it, and all works well, just need to stitch that thin leather. Worried if I do it myself the leather may not hold...

Suggestions for a repair (DIY) or shop that can take care of it?

Try calling first. Really nice guy. Does my boot zippers, jacket.

Address: 2150 Burnhamthorpe Rd W, Mississauga, ON L5L 3A2

Phone(905) 607-5258

Terez is close to you. Been around for a long time. I had work done on a jacket there.

Terez Custom Leather
3333 Lake Shore Boulevard West
(west of Kipling)
Toronto, Ontario
M8W 1N1, Canada

(416) 255-1976
info@terezleather.com

Great thanks guys appreciate the quick responses. I love the gloves and don't want to lose them for what is hopefully a relatively simple fix.

Hey, please let us know how it goes. I have a similar need. I agree, it would be a shame to throw out perfectly good gauntlet gloves over a small tear in a seam. I've used love your leather on Advance off Kipling to fix the zipper on my riding jacket. They did an awesome job, but that was just a zipper issue.

PM Torontoboy. He did some repairs to my jacket that have held up well.

Here are photos of the damage.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can't see the whole glove, but it looks like the back of the right hand? The white layer is a waterproof layer, as you stated?

So you'll need to open/unstitch the glove, probably from the wrist area, in order to separate and get between the outer leather layer and the waterproof layer. It is advantageous to not sew through and therefore perforate the waterproof layer. I would contact cement a very thin leather backer patch between the outer layer and the waterproof layer, keeping the ripped edges as close together as possible, contact cement a second leather layer on top, and then stitch all three layers together. As this is the back of your hand, if it is a little thicker should not affect the use of the glove. The edge of the velcro will need to be unstitched in order to get to the leather edge, stitch the 3 layers together, and then restitched down to its original position.

Preferably you'll need a patcher sewing machine, used by shoemakers, or you can hand stitch it.

Summary: It'll probably be time consuming and therefore expensive to repair them.

I can't see the whole glove, but it looks like the back of the right hand? The white layer is a waterproof layer, as you stated?

The tear is on the inside of the glove. And the white is the waterproof layer.

thanks for the explanation I assumed that it wouldn't be too cheap but prob less than new gloves!

The tear is on the inside of the glove. And the white is the waterproof layer...

I'm not understanding. Inside, where you put your hand into the glove, facing the palm or the back of your hand?

If you really like the fit of the gloves and the palm and fingers are fine, then consider repairing them. The back really only holds everything together and was never meant to be structurally strong. Repair items that are high quality that you wish to keep around.

Still, I am surprised on the extent and size of the rip. You either have gorilla strength, or the leather used is very thin and weak. Leather, with its random matrix pattern, is inherently strong. With normal non-crash use you should not have been able to rip the glove in that area, as it is non-stressed. For the leather to rip so much in a generally non-stressed area possibly shows an incorrect choice leather thickness. This is an MC glove, not a wallet. Also look at the left glove and see if there are any possible rips. I'd hate for you to repair the right only to have the left rip.

Just how thick is the leather in the ripped area? Try to measure its thickness with vernier calipers. You have a big *** rip, so it will be easy to measure. If the leather is less than 1mm thick then this is trouble. If you did crash, and I hope you don't, 1mm of leather would not fare well for long, and your waterproof layer even less so.

Last edited:
More photos....

attachment.php

attachment.php

As for the thickness it seems to be more than 1mm but I don't have a fine enough ruler to check. Will see if I can get my hands on it tomorrow.

Last edited:
that piece of leather may be sheepskin, sheepskin has no real grain pattern like other leathers and is pretty easy to tear if you get a pull on it. Its used a lot in Indo/Pakistani goods because it easy to work with and plentiful.

Take it to a shoe repair place and let them have a look at it.
If nothing else, they will give you an estimate as to the cost of repair.
You can then make an informed decision on whether to repair or replace.

No responses to my emails. And no # on contact page online.

His contact info used to be as below... no idea if still valid or not:

Jimmy Singh
Fired Up Extreme Gear
5-1060 Britannia Road East,
Mississauga, Ontario
Canada. L4W 4T1
Office: 905-670-9298
Cell: 416-910-7432

(Why I rarely ever delete an email, you never know when that info might come in handy again)

No responses to my emails. And no # on contact page online.

Glove looks fairly new - I'd just have it replaced. That is a massive tear.
I wonder where he might find a pair of gloves at a great price right now?? ?

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom