Obstructed licence plate | GTAMotorcycle.com

Obstructed licence plate

statsman

I had an interesting chat with a fellow biker earlier today.
He was parking a Suzuki street bike and he had the plate turned up at about a 45 degree angle.
I could understand why. A bad bump and the edge of the plate if it was straight may have made contact with the rear tire.
Especially likely if he had a passenger.
I told him of the posts several members had made regarding tickets for obstructed licence plates.
If my memory serves, most of these have been issued by the OPP.
We both agreed that given the circumstances, he really couldn't ride the bike with the plate in the "proper" position.
In future he would keep an eye out for police in his rear mirrors. If he spotted one, get off at the next exit.

Last edited:
He was parking a Suzuki street bike and he had the plate turned up at about a 45 degree angle.
I could understand why. A bad bump and the edge of the plate if it was straight may have made contact with the rear tire.
I told him of the posts several members had made regarding tickets for obstructed licence plates.
We both agreed that given the circumstances, he really couldn't ride the bike with the plate in the "proper" position.
In future he would keep an eye out for police in his rear mirrors. If he spotted one, get off at the next exit.

Or he could repair the problem properly ?

Police love it when you take the exit off the highway. It's much safer for them to pull you over on surface streets

If there was any possibility of the plate contacting the rear tire under any possible suspension articulation....the plate isn't mounted in the factory position, or on the factory mount. That simply doesn't happen.

His excuse is nothing more than that..an excuse. Either return to the factory mount, or if customization has eliminated it, it shouldn't be hard to fabricate something that allows the plate to remain in the proper position.

I agree with the above if the plate is in the FACTORY position then it will never make contact with the tire, (Unless of course he has modified other things on the bike, to make it possible).

Secondly, if he does as he suggested he would do which is get off at the next possible exit then he is ensuring he is much ore likely to get a ticket, especially in the "Toronto proper" section of the 401. There is a reason you very seldom see vehicles pulled over on the shoulder of the 401 from about Morningside to about Islington. It is due to officer safety, so if at all possible, they wait until the vehicle gets to an off ramp.

If police spotted the plates, the cruiser will also exit with lights on.

Why not fix the issue? Yoshimura makes nice licence plate holders with light, better then OEM fender thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there was any possibility of the plate contacting the rear tire under any possible suspension articulation....the plate isn't mounted in the factory position, or on the factory mount. That simply doesn't happen.

His excuse is nothing more than that..an excuse. Either return to the factory mount, or if customization has eliminated it, it shouldn't be hard to fabricate something that allows the plate to remain in the proper position.

Agreed. This would indicate that he has removed the stock mudguard, which would have created no such danger. Not having a mudguard is also something for which you can also be ticketed. If more officers knew this, they would likely be issuing that ticket.

Because, fixing it, (or returning it to the OEM position), would mean actually having a "legal" bike and who wants that???LOL It looks cooler this way...lol

If police spotted the plates, the cruiser will also exit with lights on.

Why not fix the issue? Yoshimura makes nice licence plate holders with light, better then OEM fender thing.

Because, fixing it, (or returning it to the OEM position), would mean actually having a "legal" bike and who wants that???LOL It looks cooler this way...lol

Even the 1%'ers don't do silly things like that which simply give LEO's easy justification to hassle them. Look at most any photo and you'll see their plates exactly where they're supposed to be.

Again, relocating is one thing, but relocating and then claiming you can't do so within the law is quite another. How much one disagrees with the laws and all that moaning is irrelevant.

Even the 1%'ers don't do silly things like that which simply give LEO's easy justification to hassle them. Look at most any photo and you'll see their plates exactly where they're supposed to be.

Again, relocating is one thing, but relocating and then claiming you can't do so within the law is quite another. How much one disagrees with the laws and all that moaning is irrelevant.

I once saw a 1%er at the side of the road, with a cop, with his bike torn apart on someone's front lawn. Once.

I struck me that in the situation described above, a hinged plate holder might be the answer.
It hangs normally for all to see, but if it contacts the tire, the hinges turn it upwards.
Investors welcome.

I struck me that in the situation described above, a hinged plate holder might be the answer.
It hangs normally for all to see, but if it contacts the tire, the hinges turn it upwards.
Investors welcome.
Until your bike hits 80km/h and then the wind lifts the plate up and it's not visible from behind anymore.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Spotted today: Highway 401 eastbound near Morningside, 1:20 PM. Blacked out Suzuki Hayabusa with blacked out taillight and turn signals (think this one through, please). Rider wearing body armour on the outside. No visible license plate.

Spotted today: Highway 401 eastbound near Morningside, 1:20 PM. Blacked out Suzuki Hayabusa with blacked out taillight and turn signals (think this one through, please). Rider wearing body armour on the outside. No visible license plate.

Over the last couple of years I've been seeing more and more bikes without any plates on The Gardener and 427.

GhostRider:D

Driving/riding without plates is HTA violation only or is also a criminal offence like DUI?

Driving/riding without plates is HTA violation only or is also a criminal offence like DUI?

HTA Offence, with about an $85.00 fine. The subsequent "failure to stop for police" is where the Criminal Code charges start adding up.

No mandatory impound for motorized vehicles without valid/visible plates?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom