MotoGP 2017 | Page 31 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MotoGP 2017

Thanks, JC; late again this weekend, too.

MotoGP race mirror: https://dwn114.yourseedbox.com/8138f3827636d2a2e905e00f6d4729ca/

Man those pasta rockets have some speed. 10km/h faster than the Yam's down the straight!

Ducati have that straight line speed; JLO was looking to keep his podium record in the first stint and just cam eout of nowhere, but it just kind of fell off for him, unfortunately. Tire deg? Which sucks because we need him to be a contender to keep the 'spice' going this season.

HRC really need to sort out there engine woes, with Vinales on the Yamaha I can't see very many (if any on the current grid) riders being able to mount a proper challenge against him, provided that Vinales can stay on the bike it looks as though he can still give up a few races and still be on top and lead championship so early.

The only one capable of taking the challenge to him is Marc. Rossi, for all his guile and racecraft, looks like he is literately on his last years--going from p2 to p4 was unheard of for him as he was never good at qualy and shined on Sunday. He can still (likely) challenge for some wins and podiums, but I don't see him getting his 10th unless Vinales gets injured somehow. And I personally would like to see Zarco in a proper factory ride, ideally that Yamaha or maybe HRC when either Pedrosa and Rossi hang it up. Seeing those two pushing each other will be intense.

Any idea if Dorna is looking to add hybrid tech to the bikes in the near future? I can't believe that motorcycle racing hasn't really progressed that much, relatively speaking to the auto industry, even in their respective motorsport. I mean, its still super exciting and provides a ton of excitement on the track, but given motorsports intended purpose (after selling stuff, of course) is to push the technological envelope, and its severely lacking here; WEC/LeMans and even F1 have had more progress in the last 5 years than MotoGP has in the last 20.

Then again, the 'if its not broken' adage applies here as they said nearly 100k people showed up to Mugello. So who's to say the model won't remain as is given the solely profit driven/centric nature of Dorna.

Congrats to Dovi on his win, looked emotive; be as he remarked in Italian, tons of yellow fans out there gave him support on the podium, too. Nice to see this sport is to longer just the stage for the 'Rossi Chronicles.' (How Marc got boo'd before the race, despite being the most exciting rider on the grid most races, is entirely lost on me.)

I can't believe that motorcycle racing hasn't really progressed that much, relatively speaking to the auto industry, even in their respective motorsport. I mean, its still super exciting and provides a ton of excitement on the track, but given motorsports intended purpose (after selling stuff, of course) is to push the technological envelope, and its severely lacking here; WEC/LeMans and even F1 have had more progress in the last 5 years than MotoGP has in the last 20.

A lot of the slow pace of development is artificially imposed by regulations because otherwise the teams with the biggest budgets win championships purely based on $$$ thrown at R&D. Motorcycle racing doesn't have the widespread appeal and draw of auto racing, so there are only 2 or 3 moto manufacturers willing to spend serious money to win championships. This is why the likes of Kawasaki, Suzuki, Aprilia and Yamaha have all withdrawn from MotoGP at various points through the years. They just can't compete in the arms race.

So the rules have freezes on engine development and testing, spec ECU for everyone, limits on # of engines per season, focusing on longevity as opposed to just bringing a new engine to every single race or even per session... All this to make fielding a MotoGP bike less expensive for smaller teams and to give them a better chance to podium.

Unlike the auto-racing world, there's just not enough deep pockets among the motorcycle manufacturers to open up the rules for unrestricted development.

Last edited:
Que bella giornata per gli Italiani!

3 (Migno, Pasini, and Dovi) class wins, and a manufacturer on top.

Pasini easily had the pass(es!) of the weekend: https://streamable.com/zeluo

B7aGmv9.jpg

Last edited:
Great set of races this weekend.

.... (How Marc got boo'd before the race, despite being the most exciting rider on the grid most races, is entirely lost on me.)
Maybe holding his perceived antics against him when JLO beat VR for the championship a couple seasons ago?

Thanks, JC; late again this weekend, too.

MotoGP race mirror: https://dwn114.yourseedbox.com/8138f3827636d2a2e905e00f6d4729ca/

Ducati have that straight line speed; JLO was looking to keep his podium record in the first stint and just cam eout of nowhere, but it just kind of fell off for him, unfortunately. Tire deg? Which sucks because we need him to be a contender to keep the 'spice' going this season.

HRC really need to sort out there engine woes, with Vinales on the Yamaha I can't see very many (if any on the current grid) riders being able to mount a proper challenge against him, provided that Vinales can stay on the bike it looks as though he can still give up a few races and still be on top and lead championship so early.

The only one capable of taking the challenge to him is Marc. Rossi, for all his guile and racecraft, looks like he is literately on his last years--going from p2 to p4 was unheard of for him as he was never good at qualy and shined on Sunday. He can still (likely) challenge for some wins and podiums, but I don't see him getting his 10th unless Vinales gets injured somehow. And I personally would like to see Zarco in a proper factory ride, ideally that Yamaha or maybe HRC when either Pedrosa and Rossi hang it up. Seeing those two pushing each other will be intense.

Any idea if Dorna is looking to add hybrid tech to the bikes in the near future? I can't believe that motorcycle racing hasn't really progressed that much, relatively speaking to the auto industry, even in their respective motorsport. I mean, its still super exciting and provides a ton of excitement on the track, but given motorsports intended purpose (after selling stuff, of course) is to push the technological envelope, and its severely lacking here; WEC/LeMans and even F1 have had more progress in the last 5 years than MotoGP has in the last 20.

Then again, the 'if its not broken' adage applies here as they said nearly 100k people showed up to Mugello. So who's to say the model won't remain as is given the solely profit driven/centric nature of Dorna.

Congrats to Dovi on his win, looked emotive; be as he remarked in Italian, tons of yellow fans out there gave him support on the podium, too. Nice to see this sport is to longer just the stage for the 'Rossi Chronicles.' (How Marc got boo'd before the race, despite being the most exciting rider on the grid most races, is entirely lost on me.)
Rossi was riding hurt from a motox accident.

Rossi was riding hurt from a motox accident.
And had a crash during a FP, but that's why this is a young man's game to win a WDC, and with so much talent in 2 and 3 waiting to be let in we have to evaluate the trues costs of letting some 'fossils' linger about. Zarco isn't exactly young either, and to think it took him this long to get to GP due to limited seats is something to consider what is being lost for keeping Rossi on perhaps the best seat on on the grid. But honestly he will never be cut by Yamaha due to his popularity and marketability.
Yup. Both MM and JL, rightly or wrongly, will be forever booed/jeered in Italy.
Which again makes me pose the question question above, the sport needs to be bigger than a single rider.

And had a crash during a FP, but that's why this is a young man's game to win a WDC, and with so much talent in 2 and 3 waiting to be let in we have to evaluate the trues costs of letting some 'fossils' linger about. Zarco isn't exactly young either, and to think it took him this long to get to GP due to limited seats is something to consider what is being lost for keeping Rossi on perhaps the best seat on on the grid. But honestly he will never be cut by Yamaha due to his popularity and marketability. Which again makes me pose the question question above, the sport needs to be bigger than a single rider.

Do you have any clue what you are talking about? Rossi may be old compared to most of the riders. But he's still a top 5 rider. Why would Yamaha give up his ride just for someone younger at this time? Rossi is still a competitive rider and is always up there fighting for a podeum. Do you actually think that just because someone is younger that they would of had the balls to race so quickly after a major crash just a few days before a race and still finish top 4? As long as the rider is competitive it shouldn't matter how old or young they are.

Do you have any clue what you are talking about? Rossi may be old compared to most of the riders. But he's still a top 5 rider. Why would Yamaha give up his ride just for someone younger at this time? Rossi is still a competitive rider and is always up there fighting for a podeum. Do you actually think that just because someone is younger that they would of had the balls to race so quickly after a major crash just a few days before a race and still finish top 4? As long as the rider is competitive it shouldn't matter how old or young they are.

[video=youtube;X2Xs87wy1oI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Xs87wy1oI[/video]

Top 5, but a ar more extensive injury I think.

That being said, you have to realize his performance in Japan last year made it clear what was on his mind. Vinales is likely to be the favored rider this year, and likely going forward given his youth and potential for titles.

Rossi still has amazing talent, both on and off track, without a doubt; but simply going for podiums is not likely to keep him in contention for the title while Vinales is on that Yamaha, I mean Dovi is 2nd in the title and he hasn't been on the podium all year barring Mugello. And with the amount of talent out there waiting to come in we're being denied of so much more.

I know most people who watch MotoGP simply adore Rossi, but I'd really like to see a Binder/Marc/Vinales/Zarco/Ianone/Rins/Dovi (maybe Lorenzo in the mix if he can dial in the Ducati for his riding style) duel for the title in the next couple of seasons. Rossi had his time, its time we make way for hungrier contenders into GP. I like Zarco because he treats Rossi like he would any other competitor on the track if racing for position and this is how it should be in racing.

I agree Vinales is the rider to beat this year and there is nothing wrong with bringing up new talent. But you don't just move someone off because of their age. Which is what you were noting earlier. There are alot of other riders in MotoGP that are a lot younger than Rossi that are not performing to their potential. These are the spots that should be made available to new talent.

Yes I am a Rossi fan, but I am also equally a MotoGP fan and enjoy good racing battles whether it's Rossi vs Maverick, Pedrosa vs Marc, etc. Rossi still makes the races interesting he still can compete with top riders. If Rossi constantly finished outside the top 8 on the Yamaha , then I agree maybe it is his time to retire. But that's not the case. Look at Lorenzo compared to Dovi on the Ducati. He's not doing that good at all. But as much as I can't stand him, he's still an amazing rider that just needs more time to adjust. Within reason. Using your point of view he should just retire now and give a younger rider a spot.

Youth doesn't always win over experience. Rossi is proving that every race.......

Last edited:
Rossi is still a contender for championships. but younger and faster riders will happen. rossi will leave on his own terms when the time comes.

Vinales is making for a very interesting season..

if Rossi finished 10th every race MotoGP would still want him around because he's a tremendous draw. The guy brings $ to the show. Everyone makes more money because of Rossi.

if Rossi finished 10th every race MotoGP would still want him around because he's a tremendous draw. The guy brings $ to the show. Everyone makes more money because of Rossi.

This is why I said above, particularly that the sport has to be bigger than Rossi if that's the only thing that keeps him there.

Look at Lorenzo compared to Dovi on the Ducati. He's not doing that good at all. But as much as I can't stand him, he's still an amazing rider that just needs more time to adjust. Within reason. Using your point of view he should just retire now and give a younger rider a spot.

First, Rossi has been a benefactor of the evolution of the Yamaha since he languished at Ducati and went back to the Yamaha; second, JLOs riding style is entirely antithetical to that aggressive Ducati, wasn't he testing that thumb brake for the first time in his career to just get the thing to settle and stabilize the bike to suit the silky turn in JLO is known for? Lastly, and this also has to be emphasized, JLO is still in his 20s, and is 2015 WDC. When was the last time Rossi won a championship again? And prior to Mugello, JLO was actually the top performer at Ducati given his podium. Dovi just rode like an alien last weekend and fully deserved that win given how ill he was.

So, to summarize: I agree Rossi's presence is a net gain to the sport, for all the reasons mentioned and more; I just don't see why it should stifle a Binder or a Mir from coming to GP on a good factory ride though. Imagine if Marc had started on a Tech 3 or some other satellite bike instead of the HRC, we wouldn't have that highlight reel that is his early career. I care about the racing, despite being a 93 fan; and to be honest I honestly look forward to moto3 more and more as time goes by because of the amount of talent on homolgated machinery, Mingno's win was superb and they all put on an amazing race. Imagine something like that within the GP class.

You do realize racing at this lever is business right? Rossi is still competitive(finished 2nd the last 3 years) and brings in the $$$. If they are good enough they will get a seat.

So, to summarize: I agree Rossi's presence is a net gain to the sport, for all the reasons mentioned and more; I just don't see why it should stifle a Binder or a Mir from coming to GP on a good factory ride though. Imagine if Marc had started on a Tech 3 or some other satellite bike instead of the HRC, we wouldn't have that highlight reel that is his early career. I care about the racing, despite being a 93 fan; and to be honest I honestly look forward to moto3 more and more as time goes by because of the amount of talent on homolgated machinery, Mingno's win was superb and they all put on an amazing race. Imagine something like that within the GP class.

Rossi brings in sponsorship money.. Binder and Mir not so much..

MotoGP 2017 - Round 07 - Pre-Event Press Conference - Catalunya is now LIVE STREAMING in BOTH 1080p and 720p!

Enjoy :)

Thanks, JC; going to be at the track this weekend so I'll be late again. ;)

You do realize racing at this lever is business right? Rossi is still competitive(finished 2nd the last 3 years) and brings in the $$$. If they are good enough they will get a seat.

Yes, I do: hence, the statement I made below.

Ducati bike demands "illogical" riding style - Lorenzo

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...orenzo-915441/

Its entirely contrary to his nature to have to man-handle a bike to make it ride smoothly, and thus fast, so its no surprise he'd make such a remark. But, he knew that going in and that was part of the challenge, no? I mean what's the point of making tons of money if you're going to spend your best years as a rider fighting amongst back markers and satellite bikes?

Time to learn and adapt, JLO. I have every confidence he has the ability, whether he has the patience and dedication at this phase in his career is another matter entirely. But where can he go? The HRC is like that, too. And Yamaha is full. The Suzuki isn't any where near as competitive as the Ducati, the Aprilia and KTM aren't even worth mentioning at this phase this year, so he's stuck on his 'pasta rocket' for the time being.

Then again, this is re-assuring:

When I will feel confident with the bike and the bike feels like mine I will again do excellent races.

MotoGP 2017 - Round 07 - Free Practice One (FP1) - Catalunya is now LIVE STREAMING in BOTH 1080p and 720p!

There won't be a break in the live stream between FP1 and FP2 and there will be no anouncement at the start of FP2 and it will be quite a while before I can upload the video files (probably 1pm EST or later).

Enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom