MotoGP 2017 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MotoGP 2017

Kinda meaningless. If Rossi retired 11 years ago, he'd be at the top of that list.
To he fair it needs to be minimum 280 race starts.

Top 4 guys are legends, but lets not forget the reality of the competition level then v now, though out of the 4, I'm going with Hailwood.

5 and 7 are interesting as well. Can Marc keep this pace up? And how about Doohan! With the exception of Marc, Nobody ahead of him had the longevity and competition (ago only started winning when Hailwood vacated the MV). Would he have won more, even championships, without the career ending injuries? I certainly think so

Hailwood is one of my two favourite riders of all time, and coming back at 38 and winning a TT is just the icing on the cake. Shame after all those miles around the IOM he died in a road accident caused by some clown making an illegal turn. It would have been interesting to see how many wins he would have finished with if he had kept riding and not gone to F1. I think he was only 26 when Honda pulled out of racing.

Props to Surtees for being the only person who ever won 500cc and Formula1 world championships.

My other favourite rider was Dunlop, its hard to say if it was he or hailwood that was best as its like comparing apples to oranges- different eras, different series

keep in mind guys, back in the day there were no rider aids to prolong the riders job. high sides were as common as farts. careers did not last long due to injuries. Rossi has not had but 1 major injury in all his years, even with the 500's IIRC.

He had never missed a GP (230 starts) until he broke his leg at Mugello in 2010.
And then coming back riding with that leg before he was fully healed. I always thought it was something else when he got off the bike in the pits and used crutches to get around. Unreal.

Sorry guys, but if leg injuries are the measure, Doohan did it better.

And then coming back riding with that leg before he was fully healed. I always thought it was something else when he got off the bike in the pits and used crutches to get around. Unreal.
I raced 6 weeks after breaking my femur and was still using a cane. Not that big of a deal in my opinion. Difference is he's getting paid millions and I'm not lol

Sorry guys, but if leg injuries are the measure, Doohan did it better.
Oh yeah. He damn near lost his leg and it still looks mega weird to this day.

Another would be Jorge racing with both broken ankles and finishing on the podium.

Last edited:
I raced 6 weeks after breaking my femur and was still using a cane. Not that big of a deal in my opinion. Difference is he's getting paid millions and I'm not lol

Oh yeah. He damn near lost his leg and it still looks mega weird to this day.

Another would be Jorge racing with both broken ankles and finishing on the podium.

Don't much care for him, but him breaking his collar bone at assen and having surgery and racing the next day was mighty impressive also.

Looking at that list, the durability and longevity of Rossi really stands out. He may not be the true championship threat he once was, but he can still be competitive and put on a good show.

Back
Top Bottom