Where to get a safety done? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to get a safety done?

Consumer protection....lol.
Of course you know of no such law. It doesn't exist in Ontario.

The MOT sells a 'pad' of safeties to licenced mechanic(s). Last I heard, it was roughly ~$30 / pop, and that's the last of the govt.
Mechanic(s) charge as they please.

Now. It's time to make a bet. ($1000, or as you see fit)
Let's get us a 10 -- 15 yr old car. We'll get 3 safeties. Random.
If the problem(s) required for a "safe" car are consistent, the cost of safeties and the $1000 is on me.
If 3 different mechanics are seeing different 'safety concerns', I win.

You interested?

The book is more expensive than that.

From a technician's point of view, I would love if people took their vehicle's maintenance seriously enough to have an annual inspection done. Not forced. Voluntary. Not everybody needs that of course, lots of riders are quite capable of ensuring that their bikes are safe to ride. But many aren't. I have seen a few bikes (actually more than one this year) in that last while that "just passed a safety" even though they were missing half of the engine mount bolts. How did the purchaser miss that? How did the shop miss that? The people involved in those deals needed some professional guidance.

I would be very interested to hear how the safety check test works out. It would be nice if you could do a control safety with a technician you trust first, so you know what should and shouldn't pop up in the reports too.

book is 100 bucks with 20 certificates per book

ss.jpg

You would think safety inspections from shop to shop would be consistent but even with the new standards there is still quite a bit of judgement on what passes and what doesn't so I do see some variation on what's acceptable.

And big picture motorcycles are really really simple machines, any decent automotive mechanic shouldn't have an issue figuring out how to safety one lol. If they chose to look at your bike or not is a different thing all together.

From a technician's point of view, I would love if people took their vehicle's maintenance seriously enough to have an annual inspection done. Not forced. Voluntary. Not everybody needs that of course, lots of riders are quite capable of ensuring that their bikes are safe to ride. But many aren't. I have seen a few bikes (actually more than one this year) in that last while that "just passed a safety" even though they were missing half of the engine mount bolts. How did the purchaser miss that? How did the shop miss that? The people involved in those deals needed some professional guidance.

I would be very interested to hear how the safety check test works out. It would be nice if you could do a control safety with a technician you trust first, so you know what should and shouldn't pop up in the reports too.

Insightful perspective on something that most take as an inconvenience.

And, you sure know things! http://canadamotoguide.com/2016/11/...-grabs-second-in-yamaha-technical-grand-prix/

The book is more expensive than that.

And, you sure know things! http://canadamotoguide.com/2016/11/...-grabs-second-in-yamaha-technical-grand-prix/

Congrats on your achievement......

Perhaps one day I can get you to help me properly tune my 1985 Yamaha FZ750, I think it's needs a bit of jetting and or fiddling, it's really close, but could use a smarter person than me to make sure....

Congrats on your achievement......

Perhaps one day I can get you to help me properly tune my 1985 Yamaha FZ750, I think it's needs a bit of jetting and or fiddling, it's really close, but could use a smarter person than me to make sure....

Thanks guys. Drop by with the bike some time. Can't promise I can do any better than you have already, but having a listen doesn't cost anything.

Cyclewerx
1660 Bloor Street West, Toronto, ON M6P 1A8
(416) 913-4965

You must remember that there are certain types of laws.
Some laws are for the general public good. Others are just knee jerk reactions so that the government looks like they're doing something about the problem.
I remember the days before the safety certificates. Death traps were being sold in Ontario.
The reaction of the provincial government was to pass this law.
A mechanic signing off on an unsafe vehicle could lose their licence and be fined.
I have never heard of a case where this has happened.
I have heard of cases where the vehicle had been safetied and it was unsafe.
The owner was advised to sue the mechanic.

Back
Top Bottom