Fraud warning | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fraud warning

All sentences that begin "everybody knows" or "it's a well known fact" should take into account that just because you know it doesn't mean everyone else on the planet does.

Nah they're just giving you a hard time because the internet gives people anonymity, makes em real brave

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn-TWuSV_t4&list=PLDbSvEZka6GEXCiZiA8Q991iHEN7z7YTJ&index=1

Skip to 15:25

Pretty sure Kijiji put up a warnings appearing on every sellers ad telling them not to accept moneygram, ucash, western union, etc a few years ago... Thus well known...

When I worked for the police we used to get calls from people who were taken by scams like these. Sucked when it was some super old person.

Lots get taken unfortunately.

I know a cop that used to be pull a lot of airport duty and every once in a while he would get a call from inspection about someone with a ton of cash. They were going to Nigeria with a processing fee for the $26 million oil slush fund.

That could also be an excuse to cover a drug payment. Would you rather be laughed at for falling for a scam or arrested for drug dealing or money laundering?

I do know someone, an older guy, that got conned by a counterfeit cheque. The buyer theoretically had a bank problem so an insurance settlement cheque would be sent directly to the seller but the cheque was $5G more than the selling price so could the seller give the buyer the extra $$$ back. Insurance companies do not send cheques to third parties.

Vehicles are prime turf for these types of scams because they are liabilities when you no longer want them. They take up space, cost to insure, need to be kept drive-able in case a buyer shows up. They're not like a piece of jewelry that can be shoved into a closet until the right buyer comes along.

Sellers emotions aren't too different from buyers emotions. Your mind jumps at the bait.

So what's next, the Bill Gates $5,000 Giveaway is fake?

An acquaintance that works at a bank (as teller) had to literally talk a lady out of sending cash overseas when the lady mentioned she was withdrawing 5k to wire to nigeria....

so yes, GP does fall for this bs. And btw, they target even small crap, i.e. once they tried to scam me for a $600 laptop, except i don't think it was the africans, probably some smart-*** rednecks... fake WU transfer bill via email, and asking me to mail laptop to some (most likely vacant) house address in USA...lmao

There are scammers everywhere and these types of confidence schemes have been in play forever. About 30 years ago in-laws called, very excited, to say that they had won a Cadillac in some type of draw they did not remember entering. Caller said all they had to do was pay the taxes, which they did by credit card. Reluctantly, I mentioned that this sounded like some type of scam and they responded that it was not, because that would be against the law....... Needless to say the car never arrived. In-laws were the salt of the earth and would never dream of cheating anyone, so it never occurred to them the caller was a thief.

Back
Top Bottom