Fraud warning | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fraud warning

statsman

I am currently selling my bike on Auto Trader.
I have received several emails claiming interest, but the buyers insist on using Pay Pal.
When I give my Pay Pal account, I receive a false confirmation email that the money in excess of the amount requested has been received.
The money it seems is pending, until I send a Money Gram for $1000 to the company that will be shipping the bike.
In point of fact there is no money pending at Pay Pal. Pending money is listed on your Pay Pal account page as such.
When I balk at this point, the con artist tells me they can't get the money back (what money).
I then get a cascade of threatening fake emails allegedly from Pay Pal threatening the most dire of consequences if I don't send the money in question.
You should be aware of the following:
As stated, Pay Pal money is listed on your account page, even if its pending.
Emails from Pay Pal will always have your full name - John Smith, not johnsmith@email.com
Western Union and Money Gram are competitors of Pay Pal and are never used.
There will be a name and address of the shipping agent listed for the Money Gram. I checked Google maps. The one they sent me is the General Hospital in a small town in PA.
The same spelling errors are in the emails the con man sent me as in the fake Pay Pal emails.

I am now responding to the opening emails from the con artists that Pay Pal is not an acceptable form of payment.

Last edited:
wow... I always wondered who actually fell for those things.

If someone keeps trying, it must work frequently enough. They probably have a few hundred on the go at any given time. $1000 for a few days work isn't so bad, especially since the cops don't GAS.

This is the oldest trick in the book. Back before Kijiji when Craigslist was the only option for selling vehicles (short of paying for the Trader magazine) it happened there as well, although it was much less streamlined vs today.

Now most of the first line emails people receive through Kijiji are bots doing the work. The scammers then just wait for responses...

It's typically only vehicles they work their methods on as they're big ticket and people fall for the "I'll arrange pickup" BS.

Reply to the email and ask for a $50 processing fee to be paid to you immediately and you'll release the funds. Then send all their mail to junk. I remember on one website where people bait the con,en that some sad assclown con men actually paid the processing fee.

Reply to the email and ask for a $50 processing fee to be paid to you immediately and you'll release the funds. Then send all their mail to junk. I remember on one website where people bait the con,en that some sad assclown con men actually paid the processing fee.

419eater.com

Ive played that game, came really close to getting $100 out of a scammer once to repair my car so that I could make the drive to the post office to mail their money order. ;)

Have some fun, use some of his time

I am currently selling my bike on Auto Trader.
I have received several emails claiming interest, but the buyers insist on using Pay Pal.
When I give my Pay Pal account, I receive a false confirmation email that the money in excess of the amount requested has been received.
The money it seems is pending, until I send a Money Gram for $1000 to the company that will be shipping the bike.
In point of fact there is no money pending at Pay Pal. Pending money is listed on your Pay Pal account page as such.
When I balk at this point, the con artist tells me they can't get the money back (what money).
I then get a cascade of threatening fake emails allegedly from Pay Pal threatening the most dire of consequences if I don't send the money in question.
You should be aware of the following:
As stated, Pay Pal money is listed on your account page, even if its pending.
Emails from Pay Pal will always have your full name - John Smith, not johnsmith@email.com
Western Union and Money Gram are competitors of Pay Pal and are never used.
There will be a name and address of the shipping agent listed for the Money Gram. I checked Google maps. The one they sent me is the General Hospital in a small town in PA.
The same spelling errors are in the emails the con man sent me as in the fake Pay Pal emails.

I am now responding to the opening emails from the con artists that Pay Pal is not an acceptable form of payment.

How old are you again?
And you made yourself sound like such an expert selling bikes when you posted in other threads.:lmao:

How old are you again?
And you made yourself sound like such an expert selling bikes when you posted in other threads.:lmao:

Did you ever manage to sell your zx6r?

How old are you again?

The job of old crumudgion on this forum is taken by me and I don't share.
If you had bothered to actually read the post you are quoting you would see I did not fall for it.
This is a warning to those who may also be selling things on line to be very wary.
You know, like a public service.

Last edited:
The job of old crumudgion on this forum is taken by me and I don't share.
If you had bothered to actually read the post you are quoting you would see I did not fall for it.
This is a warning to those who may also be selling things on line to be very wary.
You know, like a public service.
I think the reason they're giving you a hard time is this is a well known scam. But they don't realize it's only well known amongst online geeks like us, for the rest of the general public it's a useful warning. So I think your concern for others is admirable and should be appreciated, it's just that your warning is directed at the wrong audience.

When I worked for the police we used to get calls from people who were taken by scams like these. Sucked when it was some super old person.

Lots get taken unfortunately.

I think the reason they're giving you a hard time is this is a well known scam. But they don't realize it's only well known amongst online geeks like us, for the rest of the general public it's a useful warning. So I think your concern for others is admirable and should be appreciated, it's just that your warning is directed at the wrong audience.

All sentences that begin "everybody knows" or "it's a well known fact" should take into account that just because you know it doesn't mean everyone else on the planet does.

To be honest no one really needs a warning about this that is careful. This happens to thousands of sellers everyday, people know. Not exactly a super clever unique scam.

Back
Top Bottom