Has anyone actually gotten a flat spot on their tire before? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has anyone actually gotten a flat spot on their tire before?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
Long story short, I liquidated everything motorcycle related 3 months ago. I need to save up for some stands and storage is soon. I know JohnnyP636 has stored his bikes without stands and the tires were fine.

Has anyone actually had issues with tires having flat spots when storing for, lets say, 5 months?

油井緋色;2460229 said:
Long story short, I liquidated everything motorcycle related 3 months ago. I need to save up for some stands and storage is soon. I know JohnnyP636 has stored his bikes without stands and the tires were fine.

Has anyone actually had issues with tires having flat spots when storing for, lets say, 5 months?

I kept an F3 in my garage on the floor, and I felt the flat spot in april when I broke it out. That being said, I had not taken any better care of the two bikes before it, and neither had a flatspot from what I could recall.

Nah, I never store the bike on stands. I just over inflate the tires and it ends up being fine when spring arrives. Done that on PP2CT, PP3 and Q3

I kept an F3 in my garage on the floor, and I felt the flat spot in april when I broke it out. That being said, I had not taken any better care of the two bikes before it, and neither had a flatspot from what I could recall.

Well this blows. Time to find some cheap stands.

5 months? Nope. Will you have access to the bike in storage? If you're worried about it you can just shift it a bit a few times

Grab a set of these, have been serving me well on my street bike for years.

https://www.kapscomoto.com/Venom_Motorcycle_Front_Rear_Lift_Stand_p/smi6010.htm

the site also has spools for cheap. I thin the code GTAM10 will save you 10% too.

I just bought stands and spools for the gf's new R3, 120 bucks shipped to my door.

Thank you. I'm hitting myself in the head a little bit. I had Pit Bulls before lol

5 months? Nope. Will you have access to the bike in storage? If you're worried about it you can just shift it a bit a few times

Yes. I'll have to do that while I save up for stands.

Last edited:
No worries man. I haven't had any issues with these stands, my girlfriend now has them, my aunt and uncle both use them. I'm sure higher end stands are lighter and have better leverage points etc... but for me I have no issues popping the bike up off the ground and have never come out to a bike on it's side in 5 years I have been using them.

Off topic but the memories of nylon cord bias ply car tires came to mind. They would thump like crazy for a few miles every cold morning.

I've ridden bikes that sat for years on their tires without moving. No issues. Ditto cars.

On cars you can sometimes feel the flat spots for a few K after it's been sitting for 8-10+ months, especially if the weather is cold once you get things going again, but it goes away quickly.

I think all the concerns about having to get bikes off their tires the winter is severely overblown.

If it helps, I usually store my bikes resting on Styrofoam - as long as it is an inch thick or more, it compresses and no flat spot.

Keeps the rubber off the concrete as well.

Hope this helps!

No real issue with mine. That said, I do try to remember to mark the tires with chalk and take the bike for a short 'walk' every 2 months or so and make sure the tires don't end up in the same place when I put it back. I also check the tire inflation and add air if they are down every 1-2 months as well (sometimes putting a few extra PSI in each just to handle any drop).

Pretty sure if there is any minor deformation, once they get heated up to temp in the spring they'll sort themselves out. My car's tires are terrible if it sits for 5 days, but after about 10km on the 401 they're fine again.

Got mine on the sidestand on some of those interlocking mats. Might try switching to the centre stand. Never had a problem before.

Even if you get a flat spot due to storage it doesn't mean your tire is a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe if the air gets low enough that the deformation reaches the sidewalls and sits there a long time, that might be a concern. Otherwise, just help the tire regain its shape gradually.

Overinflate it a few days before you ride, then take the bike for a few slow loops of the neighbourhood (with normal air pressure) to get up to temp gradually before going out for good.

Back
Top Bottom