Who knows bicycles - Which one to buy? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who knows bicycles - Which one to buy?

What was their technical knowledge at the store? Was the bike set up properly? Always concerned with getting a bike from a big box or department type store like them. However they do carry good bike brands like Marin.
I bought it from the Guelph store and they were Ok

However Scott at the Whitby store is very knowledgeable and helpful

Definitely talk to him before buying from RD

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What was their technical knowledge at the store? Was the bike set up properly? Always concerned with getting a bike from a big box or department type store like them. However they do carry good bike brands like Marin.
Almost as surprising as them carrying MV Agusta.

It's a bit of a generic problem that -D- and I have (Along with others) in that we just want some decent stuff but don't really want or have the time to become Gurus on the subject.

Commissioned sales people have a tendency to oversell. Big box stores tend to have minimally trained sales people. The neighbourhood mom and pop stores have a hard time competing with online outlets that offer little to no real advice.

Sometimes the truth is brutal. What you want doesn't exist or doesn't work if it does.

Ill let others chime in on the quality of the components, but I think the style of bike you need is less mountain bike (like this) and more off-road capable pavement bike.

The big way to tell the difference is in the wheel size. 700c (wheel diameter) is used for road, the smaller 26" is for mountain bikes. The smaller wheels have fatter tires and together they give more resistance to pedalling. Actually, I get the feeling 26" wheels will be obsolete in 10 years or so. Even MTBs are going to the 700c side.

Also the MTB bike is heavier (and presumably sturdier) and has more suspension travel, which means you're either paying more for qualities you don't need, or you're getting cheaper components.

I don't think anyone makes 26" anymore. 27.5 (650b) and 29 are the standard.

Well, ya. Bike wheel sizes are fudded up in general. But the link he posted called the tires 27.5" while the rims were listed as Alex TD26. So I'm thinking 26" wheels with tall tires to bring them up to 27.5", which is probably more honest than saying 650b wheels since if you do the math, that should mean they're smaller (25.5") than 26"ers!

Well, ya. Bike wheel sizes are fudded up in general. But the link he posted called the tires 27.5" while the rims were listed as Alex TD26. So I'm thinking 26" wheels with tall tires to bring them up to 27.5", which is probably more honest than saying 650b wheels since if you do the math, that should mean they're smaller (25.5") than 26"ers!

WTF? lol
Nobie, prime example...why can't they simply stat 25 inch rim...they figured out this solution for cars and bikes have been around much longer.

...So I'm thinking 26" wheels with tall tires to bring them up to 27.5", which is probably more honest than saying 650b wheels since if you do the math, that should mean they're smaller (25.5") than 26"ers!

WTF? lol
Nobie, prime example...why can't they simply stat 25 inch rim...they figured out this solution for cars and bikes have been around much longer.

LOL. smh.

You're wrong and just confusing the issue. They're not "fudded up" and there's no math involved. It's a 27.5, end of story.

650b is a 26" wheel (584mm). 650 (597mm), 650a (590mm), and 650c (571mm) are all 26" as well. Your conventional 26" MTB rim is 50-559 (559mm)

Confused yet? There's 32-597 as well.

Last edited:
650b is a 26" wheel (584mm). 650 (597mm), 650a (590mm), and 650c (571mm) are all 26" as well. Your conventional 26" MTB rim is 50-559 (559mm)

hey there is a 500 cc bike but it comes in 425cc or sometimes 454cc but some countries call it a 354 cc and the odd times you get lucky and find the 650cc
*common factor = 5

one would think 650 =SIX FIFTY mm

one would think 650 =SIX FIFTY mm

That's because you're equating it to cars and bikes (wheel dia.= fixed rim dia.+tire profile). Bicycles are opposite (fixed wheel dia =rim dia.+tire profile). take the standard tire profile height of a 50-559 (26" MTB) wheel and make a tire using the same profile to fit a 584mm 650b rim and the new diameter is 27.5" (actually closer to 27, but that's splitting atoms).

I know it's hard to grasp. You'll have to trust me. I have a fairly good handle on bicycle tire and rim sizing.

DE4699AA-F2A1-4862-9DE4-72ABFEE959AC_zpsdcffkluz.jpg

Last edited:
How do you get rid of that rubber smell when you have bikes inside?

That is the main reason they invented quick release hubs, so you can remove the wheels and put them into plastic bags. A new tire is as close to the new car smell as cyclists get.

That is the main reason they invented quick release hubs, so you can remove the wheels and put them into plastic bags. A new tire is as close to the new car smell as cyclists get.

So, are you stating that the odor is a problem. Is the odor still there after 50km or so?
I am guessing the odor will be there because the 'oils' are released when you ride in the heat.

I am asking because I am considering storing the bike inside living space.

So, are you stating that the odor is a problem. Is the odor still there after 50km or so?
I am guessing the odor will be there because the 'oils' are released when you ride in the heat.

Quite seriously, I bought some wheelbarrow assemblies from Princess auto but only needed the hubs. The tires and tubes were smelly but unnoticeable when put in a plastic bag.

Plastics. including rubber, gas off just like new car interiors (apparently carcinogenic). I'm not sure if there are production coatings that will wash off, reducing the smell, or you have to wait until the tire ages.

I had a bike hang on the wall in my hallway for 8yrs, there was no smell from new to moving to bigger house.

I had a bike hang on the wall in my hallway for 8yrs, there was no smell from new to moving to bigger house.

The tires I refer to a post or two back are Chinese cheapies and possibly the rubber mix is more odour noticeable than higher quality products.

Yeah exactly.

I'm going with 24" (kids), 26" (MTB), and 700c (road). That's all there is. OK, maybe it's all wrong but it's simple so I'm sticking with it.

I would love to be able to have my garage look like that.
Great set up.
Shep is nice companion and alarm for bonus point.

Ahh, never needed their customer service for the Scott I have.

For the OP, this guide to derailleurs/parts may help. From top to bottom, Most expensive to least expensive. I would say, don't get something lower than Alivio or Sram X5.

_6583478.png

Really useful as im looking online at bikes for the wifey and have not a fakkin clue as to what im looking at.

Sucks cause im mainly looking at a commuter for her but the components suck for the most part

Back
Top Bottom