Who knows bicycles - Which one to buy? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who knows bicycles - Which one to buy?

I know nothing of bikes without internal combustion propulsion systems; I do however know a guy who just bought a $6000 road bike he's quite proud of. He posted a picture on FB of it lent up against a guardrail. Kickstand not included lol

I know nothing of bikes without internal combustion propulsion systems; I do however know a guy who just bought a $6000 road bike he's quite proud of. He posted a picture on FB of it lent up against a guardrail. Kickstand not included lol

Not relevant to my thread.
Stick to the topic please.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to bikes. I bought this one in May and have been enjoying it a lot.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ca/en/vitus-bikes-vee-29-city-bike-2014/rp-prod81000

This specific one isn't available anymore but there are disc brake versions too.

My process was:
1) check out Canadian tire's $100 bike (supercycle) -> felt too cheap
2) check out mid range and high end bikes at few local bike stores -> shocked at prices (never bought proper bike in my life)
3) check out kijiji/craigslist for used bikes -> kinda like motorcycle market. Lots of overpriced used ones
3) researched online and gambled kn this one which I bought

I'm probably like you. I didn't want something that'll break easily and also didn't want to spend too much as I wasn't sure about this hobby.

I like less maintenance so I picked single speed by the way. It's not that bad honestly.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Ok, so can someone list some decent gear:
derailers Shimano ...what model?

Or What gear to stay away from?
The cyclobike looks like it could do the job also.

The cyclocross bike really caught my attention, at first I thought it was just a sub sub category for wankers, but once I realized what kind of riding I was most likely to do they make sense. Cyclo Cross bikes usually come with rack mounts, and if you're gone all day, they're the first line of defence/offence for carrying water bottles, bananas, peanuts and what have you. I've always hated the road bike style drop bars they come with but now realize nobody rides with hands at the extreme bottom unless powering uphill and/or into the wind.
As far as derailers go, google yourself the Shimano derailer list and pick something in the middle of the pecking order or up. Properly learning bicycle drivetrain components can get very involved, you could look at specs all day but what does that tell you? Asking will get you the KLR or Ape answer depending on who's answering. If you know what I mean. Good luck and godspeed. Break a leg.

My "expertise" of bicycle components is so far outdated, I had to visit a couple of local independent bike shops and got somewhat schooled. Not sure if it's the sheer variety or not but, my memory for what model lines are decent/best seems to allude me. I got positive feedback on the stuff I know AFTER I bought them so, it might be luck and possibly a little bit of instincts. Mostly luck.

So good luck to you.

PS, I also found going with cool colors made for an excellent method of finding the perfect bike for me. My GT is matt black with blue. My son says is looks sic. I'm like great, my kid is already ashamed of his father. Apparently it's the cool sic, not the sick like loser sick. lol.

OK, I'm out. Regular blend coffee seems to have a negative effect on my humor and contribution to this thread.

Cheers.

Tell me about it. I just struggled thru 2 minutes* of no posting. Going for coffee now!

* to not waste time I took a shower so it kinda worked out ok

I'm not a bike nerd but from what I know MEC offers good value and they generally avoid cheap components.

This one looks like it would meet your needs very well

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-678/Panamao-X3-Bicycle

There's a one-time $5 membership fee also because MEC is a co-op.

EDIT:
I ended up going with a Scott when I bought a new bike 4 years ago. Put this on your 'do not buy' list.

Last edited:
I'm not a bike nerd but from what I know MEC offers good value and they generally avoid cheap components.

This one looks like it would meet your needs very well

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5044-678/Panamao-X3-Bicycle

There's a one-time $5 membership fee also because MEC is a co-op.

EDIT:
I ended up going with a Scott when I bought a new bike 4 years ago. Put this on your 'do not buy' list.

:confused: which Scott bike? what problems did you have and who assembled it?
I've owned multiple bikes and brands, any problems are usually assembly or maintenance related. Scott, Giant, etc all make their Aluminum frames in Taiwan, usually at the same factory, they get assembled with Shimano/Sram components later. Scott owns Syncros, so for value their very good, since they make alot in house.

:confused: which Scott bike? what problems did you have and who assembled it?
I've owned multiple bikes and brands, any problems are usually assembly or maintenance related. Scott, Giant, etc all make their Aluminum frames in Taiwan, usually at the same factory, they get assembled with Shimano/Sram components later. Scott owns Syncros, so for value their very good, since they make alot in house.
Dont want to detract from this thread too much, but some manufacturer-specific issues were their online sizing guide left me with a much too undersized bike, and I can't get any response from them (or the retailer) for a replacement part I need.

What says yous about this bike?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bik...-sport-mountain-bicycle/c103301?channelId=204

@inreb- I don't want to learn about this stuff, as Nobie said...Just point me to some basic info or decent bikes/BRANDS...good to go
Ill let others chime in on the quality of the components, but I think the style of bike you need is less mountain bike (like this) and more off-road capable pavement bike.

The big way to tell the difference is in the wheel size. 700c (wheel diameter) is used for road, the smaller 26" is for mountain bikes. The smaller wheels have fatter tires and together they give more resistance to pedalling. Actually, I get the feeling 26" wheels will be obsolete in 10 years or so. Even MTBs are going to the 700c side.

Also the MTB bike is heavier (and presumably sturdier) and has more suspension travel, which means you're either paying more for qualities you don't need, or you're getting cheaper components.

Last edited:
Dont want to detract from this thread too much, but some manufacturer-specific issues were their online sizing guide left me with a much too undersized bike, and I can't get any response from them (or the retailer) for a replacement part I need.

Ahh, never needed their customer service for the Scott I have.

For the OP, this guide to derailleurs/parts may help. From top to bottom, Most expensive to least expensive. I would say, don't get something lower than Alivio or Sram X5.

_6583478.png

Scott owns Syncros, so for value their very good

Syncros haven't made "good" parts since Peter and Pippin mismanaged their company into receivership in 98.

ScorpionT16 said:
since they make alot in house.

In house = outsourced to Kalloy.

This should help you out:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/buyers-guide-to-mountain-bike-groupsets-42578/

It's common for a bike to have a rear derailler that is one level higher than the rest of the groupset (ie. all Deore groupset with an SLX rear derailler). I'd recommend Deore/SLX for good performance and durability. XT is even better. XTR is nice but if it breaks it's really expensive to fix.

Royal distributing has a bicycle tent sale in April if you can wait that long

Flyer from earlier this year

Bought a main hard tail for $500
8cb1e56460ade7b9538277af7495d2b1.jpg
f121e1c067fde17357ca6ba0a81c600d.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What was their technical knowledge at the store? Was the bike set up properly? Always concerned with getting a bike from a big box or department type store like them. However they do carry good bike brands like Marin.
Almost as surprising as them carrying MV Agusta.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom