Who knows bicycles - Which one to buy? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who knows bicycles - Which one to buy?

-D-

Banned
I am in the market and thought I would tap into the knowledge here.
budget - $500-600 (can increase if bike is worth more but being sold off cheap) cheaper the better as I might have to buy 2 bikes.
purpose - just recreational riding, nothing crazy, light off road in the park stuff, mostly pavement
weight - would like for it to be as light as possible
suspension - front is fine, do not need rear
brakes - front disc for sure, rear would be nice (I think)

It does not have to be from Sportcheck, can be from online, can be used.
I am looking at these from Sportcheck. I like the GT stuff (don't know about the other brands on the site).
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories...untain-bikes.html#lastVisibleProductNumber=32

looking at this one:
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories...-comp-mountain-bike-black-2016-331947426.html

What would you suggest?
Please provide links in your post.

That sportchek model is still in the $650 range with tax and from what's listed it's just budget spec'd. There's a big difference between a $600 bike and a $1000 bike and I'd take a good used $1000 bike (easily found used in the $350 range) over a new cheapy anyday.
Kijiji and Pinkbike are your best bets. Throw a WTB add on pinkbike and see what turns up.

You'll get a much higher quality product by getting a bike at a real bike store. I recommend something like Kona. Support a Canadian company as well. Rocky Mountain may be another option.

End of season deals should get into your price range.

http://konaworld.com/platform_mtb_hardtail.cfm
LANA'I

You can stretch your $ even farther buying used on kijiji.

I've got two hardtail MBs. Both purchased from kijiji. Just had to have some patience and wait for the right bike, right condition and things worked out pretty good for me. At least in my opinion.

I got a GT Karakoram 29" with hydraulic disc brakes. Replaced the stock pedals and tires. It was in pretty near new condition. It's great for trails, parks etc. Think I picked it up for $350? The only draw back for me is it's a little tall which makes for limited agility. But, it's my daily ride and it has a decent quality feel and comfortable for longer trail rides. Web reviews suggest the front fork is weak but, I haven't had any issues.

That's where my Marin with 26" rims and older center pull brake(rear) Cable disc front. Good in the tight spots and more agile. More comfortable for jumps etc. Think I picked it up a few years ago for $300? It's more of my hooligan bike. It's the jeep or pack mule. It can still manage pavement well but, I prefer the GT if I'm going to do more distance/A to B stuff. The Marin is the bike I use when I'm zipping around. If that makes sense?

When we go camping, I bring the GT. But, I just got it this year so, it's the newest. lol.

I typically research kijiji ads for a few weeks until I find something that looks good. Research the bike, give it a good look over, test it out, make sure everything works nice. And I typically have a price point that I have assuming the condition it very good.

Last edited:
You'll get a much higher quality product by getting a bike at a real bike store. I recommend something like Kona. Support a Canadian company as well. Rocky Mountain may be another option.

End of season deals should get into your price range.

http://konaworld.com/platform_mtb_hardtail.cfm
LANA'I

You can stretch your $ even farther buying used on kijiji.

The bike you linked has baseline components as well. How is that a much higher quality product?

if you are looking for mostly pavement most higher end bike stores now have a model of bike that looks a lot like a road bike but with knobby tires and disc brakes. Might be fitting the bill of what you are looking for.

The bike you linked has baseline components as well. How is that a much higher quality product?

Ok, can you please list what components I should look for?
Give me a list of the good stuff and the baseline stuff?
If you can provide the lower end stuff so I know what to stay away from.
Remember I don't need to best of the best, just a decent overall reliable package, not racing just basic recreational light trails at best a 2ft jump, lol...Not going into rough dedicated trail riding/racing. Just your basic trails around the city.

* saw the road bike stuff, I prefer a mountain bike setup, gives me more options imo.

if you are looking for mostly pavement most higher end bike stores now have a model of bike that looks a lot like a road bike but with knobby tires and disc brakes. Might be fitting the bill of what you are looking for.

That's cyclecross. You can also go the opposite way and get a mountain bike with road bike tires or less aggressive off road tires.

Ok, can you please list what components I should look for?
Give me a list of the good stuff and the baseline stuff?
If you can provide the lower end stuff so I know what to stay away from.
Remember I don't need to best of the best, just a decent overall reliable package, not racing just basic recreational light trails at best a 2ft jump, lol...Not going into rough dedicated trail riding/racing. Just your basic trails around the city.

* saw the road bike stuff, I prefer a mountain bike setup, gives me more options imo.

There's nothing wrong with the baseline stuff. The higher up you go they just shift a little smoother or are maybe a little lighter. You have to decide if it's worth hundreds to you to have a marginally better derailleur.

Hey,

I started off cycle touring a few years back and got a front suspension bike, not worth it for you honestly. The weight, loss of power from compression while riding, esp just for recreational/light off-road isn't worth it. Later I picked up a cyclocross bike, and never looked back. Lighter, more nimble, agile, and I ride single-track, off-road, touring, recreational etc...

I'm a designer by trade, and worked on booths for the Cycling shows in Fall/Spring in Toronto (great places to buy last years stock, though the show just ended in Oct) I've seen multiple stores, vendors, bikes, brands. I've bought bikes from The Bike Zone in Mississauga, and highly recommend them. They just upgraded their store this year, and have everything from budget friendly to high end. And some great sales on now too! They will fit you as well to the bike, I believe for free if you get a bike from them, and give a 1yr awesome warranty, all service in for free.

http://www.thebikezone.com/kona-clearout/

http://www.thebikezone.com/scott-clearout/

http://www.thebikezone.com/specials/

Another great store, if you have larger budget is The 11 in Toronto, a great store with some awesome service and professionals.

Avoid department store bikes, mainly because all bikes are shipped in parts and built in store, actual bike shops have reputable mechanics to assemble them. Department stores do too, just not all of them, and they pay low so mechanics work quick. My buddy was one at a sport check, he quit within 2 weeks :rolleyes:

Brands aren't too important in your budget, a scott vs a kona in $600-800 for recreational use wont matter, components are much more vital. Primary ones being Sram and shimano, each having their own tier of quality. You get what you pay for, the more expensive stuff weighs less and takes more abuse. Also size is important, check your height and inseam, bikes come from XS to XXL, you want the right size.

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ca/help/bike-sizing

Last edited:
As a point of reference, viewing the bikezone page, I bought a 2014 Kona Jake non-current last year (msrp$1300) for $1050. Component wise I believe it to be just at or below the cusp of acceptable quality. Buying a $600 bike might prove depressing. Take a knowledgeable bike fiend/friend along to buy used.

Last edited:
Hitch hiking on -D-s post, I'm trying to educate myself on rear wheels (26 X 2.125) to handle a heavy load . Basically putting a mountain / trail bike rear on a cheap beach cruiser.

-D-'s question exposes a common problem

1) You don't want to buy something insanely expensive "Just in case"

2) You don't want to spend five years getting a degree for each and every potential purchase.

3) You don't want to buy a piece of junk

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/buyers-guide-to-mountain-bike-groupsets-42578/

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for in a mountain bike. Older stuff can have major deprecation and is particularly good value, but components wear and many ignore service. I've been told my newer mountain bike could use new shifter cable housings soon (if I want to maintain its almost perfect shifting). My mountain bike costs more than many people's motorcycles here.

Cheap bikes are not necessarily a bad place to start, but they can be frustrating. It sucks when a bike doesn't shift well, especially a mountain bike in off-road situations, and a higher spec drivetrain can be a revelation. To each their own.

There is lower level equipment than the link. Including lesser suspension and lower end drivetrain components (both within shimano as well as other lesser 'brand' names than shimano and SRAM).

The lifetime frame warranty is nice too. Frame failures are more common than people may think.

Last edited:
The choice of bike really depends on how "off-road" you want to get. I have a mountain bike, road bike, and a cyclocross bike and haven't used either the MTB or road bike for a couple years.

Cyclocross bikes are basically a road bike with slight geometry changes to make it possible to go off road. I carry 3 different tire types (off road, dual, and road) and it does a great job. It might be a little heavier (half a pound) than the road bike but there is no difference in my speed/lap times. I know people who spend thousands to save a half pound or a pound but, honestly, if you eat a proper diet you'll easily lose that weight off your body. All to say, a little extra weight on the bike is no big deal.

Off-road, it does alright. On dirt and light gravel roads it'll own a MTB (power numbers being equal). Heavier dirt, gravel, and single track gets trickier. I've done a few cyclocross races and generally, if things get bad enough, I can dismount and carry my bike without losing much time to a MTB then make it up (and some) everywhere else (again, power numbers being equal).

You can't buy a road bike and make it a cyclocross because the rear of the frame won't allow a wider tire. So where to pick up a cyclocross? Other than bike stores, try MEC as they usually have cro-molly cyclocross bikes. End of season sales should start soon too.

Best of luck

I am in the market and thought I would tap into the knowledge here.
budget - $500-600 (can increase if bike is worth more but being sold off cheap) cheaper the better as I might have to buy 2 bikes.
purpose - just recreational riding, nothing crazy, light off road in the park stuff, mostly pavement
weight - would like for it to be as light as possible
suspension - front is fine, do not need rear
brakes - front disc for sure, rear would be nice (I think)

What would you suggest?
Please provide links in your post.

I would suggest this if the sizing is right.

How tall are you?
Have a look at this Trek. I am not sure if the 2013 has the remote shock lock-out but I love that feature on mine.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cruiser-comm...ds/1211190846?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

You should be able to get down to your budget...
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sea...d=3044812&make=750&model=65195&priceMax=20000

Back
Top Bottom