Shark Evoline vs. Shoei RF1100 vs other modular under $500 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Shark Evoline vs. Shoei RF1100 vs other modular under $500

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I notice that both helmets are categorized as having neutral head, but that the Shoei might be more round. My RF1100's are going to need to be replaced next year and I would like to get a modular. The RF1100 is a perfect fit for me and very comfortable in a size large.

Has anyone owned the Shoei RF1100 and also a Shark Evoline? I like the Evoline, but I have never tried one on and would like to hear from those who have owned both about how much the fit is either similar or different. Also would like to hear about any other differences like wind noise, how much the weight difference is noticeable, etc...

Thanks!

If you are interested in the Shark Evoline, also check out the LS2 Convert (FF393, I think). Royal Distributing had them both in stock a while ago, although I think the LS2 was on closeout. They are extremely similar, except the flip down portion on the LS2 latched much easier than the Shark. Closing the Shark was kind of ridiculous; I literally had to hold one hand at the back of the helmet and slam the chinpiece closed as hard as I could with the other hand to get it to lock. Maybe it'll get easier with some use.

I had my heart set on the Shark but when I tried it on the sunshield felt way too close when slid down- almost rested on my nose. Went for the Shoei Neotec instead- thanks to a lucky lottery ticket.
On an un-related note big thank you for your avatar - I always picture that and my riding in the bends has improved and become more enjoyable

I have a round head that fits fine in a Schuberth C3. I've never used a Shoei RF1100 but an RF1200 I tried on was way too ovalish for me and had a gap between my forehead and the RF1200's forehead pad.

I own two Evoline 3's now. When brand new, the chinbar opening mechanism sticks a bit but it loosened itself up over the course of a week... say maybe 20 openings/closings?

Evoline 3's are noisy! I think it's noisier than my full blown MX helmet with a massive peak lid. When the chinbar is folded back/not deployed and you're wearing it 3/4 style, something whistles at more than 15-20 kph. The whistling is pretty loud but not too distracting. And oh, thanks to all the wind that's whipping around the helmet, it is very chilly to ride with too this time of year but is amazing in stop and go traffic when you can just peel the chinbar back. It's a two handed affair as the build quality is frankly bad ... especially when compared to my Schuberth. However even with all the drawbacks, I love my Evoline 3 because of the convenience. I just hope I never crash because I don't know if that chinbar is up to the task!

I notice that both helmets are categorized as having neutral head, but that the Shoei might be more round. My RF1100's are going to need to be replaced next year and I would like to get a modular. The RF1100 is a perfect fit for me and very comfortable in a size large.

I have the RF1100 too and the fit was ideal at 2XL. Bought a Schubert C3 in 3XL but the fit was off on the forehead (common, apparently). I wasn't too keen on the ratchet strap either. Wasn't going to risk another $600 trying out the Shoei Neotech after that. Should have gone Japanese first.

Eventually ended up with an HJC IS-Max2. Sizing runs a bit small (due to the chinbar, I think) so I tried the 3XL. The big advantage to the HJC is that there are three liner sizes per helmet shell size. So Small covers XS, S, M, Medium is L, XL, 2XL and Large is 3XL, 4XL, 5XL. So when 3XL was a bit tight, I simply ordered the 4XL and 5XL liners to tailor the fit. 5XL won the day, though I think the 4XL would be fine when broken in.

It's not as premium as a Shoei obviously, but the fit and finish are fine, and it comes with a Pinlock visor (which is great, should have tried them before). it's seen daily use, rain or shine, for a good six months. Nothing has broken yet. The wind noise/buffeting seems a bit better than the Shoei, though I know that's very rider/bike dependent. Longest ride so far was about 4 hours. Zero discomfort anywhere, so it's a keeper.

Last edited:
I have 4 shark evolines (long story, 3 are the same) and love them but I've never had a Shoei sorry. They are heavyish but well balanced. Not super quiet but I have a large screen too that blocks a lot of wind noise. The local cops here in Kingston all have evolines too. The sun visor is excellent, decently dark, and to me this is also the best mechanism for a modular helmet and you can actually ride with the chin bar up without a sail effect. It takes a Scala or Sena device really well. The liner is removable and washable and the anti scratch shields work well.

I have 4 shark evolines (long story, 3 are the same) and love them but I've never had a Shoei sorry. They are heavyish but well balanced. Not super quiet but I have a large screen too that blocks a lot of wind noise. The local cops here in Kingston all have evolines too. The sun visor is excellent, decently dark, and to me this is also the best mechanism for a modular helmet and you can actually ride with the chin bar up without a sail effect. It takes a Scala or Sena device really well. The liner is removable and washable and the anti scratch shields work well.

I've only had 2 Evolines but I have the same feelings about them. My wind screen isn't big, and noise is not too bad. My Shark Speed R full face is lighter and quieter, but that's to be expected.

I've only had 2 Evolines but I have the same feelings about them. My wind screen isn't big, and noise is not too bad. My Shark Speed R full face is lighter and quieter, but that's to be expected.

I have Evoline Carbon. Is a bit noisy but that's to be expected with modulars. And it fits half a size of large. The carbon helps a bit with the weight.
Note, they also have a new one called EvoOne. Bigger windshield with pinlock visor.

^^ Do the Evoline's have a DD ring or ratchet strap for securing it on the head?

I wear a full face for my long distance touring, but for everyday commuting the modular would be much better. I have a decent windscreen and wear earplugs on highway rides, so wind noise isn't the biggest issue, but I don't want a helmet that his high pitched whistles like my old KBC and HJC helmets did.

DD rings on all mine and on my other two Sharks. I like the Shark brand. Very decent quality helmets at a great price point.

I have the RF1100 too and the fit was ideal at 2XL. Bought a Schubert C3 in 3XL but the fit was off on the forehead (common, apparently). I wasn't too keen on the ratchet strap either. Wasn't going to risk another $600 trying out the Shoei Neotech after that. Should have gone Japanese first.

I read a lot of complaints about the pressure on the forehead for the C3, they fixed it, or so they say for the C3 Pro. I have never worn a C3 so cannot compare, but I do have a C3 Pro and can say it is the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn. Nice and quiet, great if you add the integrated /bluetooth audio. I personally love the ratchet strap, so simple and easy and can be done with gloves on. I will say he C3 Pro took much longer then any other helmet I have ever worn to break in, but when it did it was amazing.

Yes, I read the same, Schuberth put a touch of extra room into the forehead of the C3 Pro. From what I could gather, it seemed to be a common enough problem and was mentioned in multiple forums. Some went to great lengths to break them in, too. Personally, I felt the ratchet strap was too close to my throat for comfort. Plus, I would need to buy that locking carabiner to mount it on the helmet hook of the Burgman. No issues otherwise. Some riders had luck with swapping in a liner from C2 modulars but that would be another $75 with no guarantees.

If a 3XL is a good fit for you, Mr. Kingsley, shoot me a PM offer. Hi-Viz, worn less than an hour. Lowball me, so I can get rid of it!

If a 3XL is a good fit for you, Mr. Kingsley, shoot me a PM offer. Hi-Viz, worn less than an hour. Lowball me, so I can get rid of it!
If a 2XL in Shoei RF1100 was a good fit for you, then my head is definitely smaller than yours, because I fit a size large and even then there is a small bit of movement. Thanks for the nice offer though - I do appreciate it!

Shane

Have you considered the Shoei Neotec Modular seeing that the RF fits you well. The Nolan is also a good option as I know happy Nolan riders. The integrated visor is one of the best advantages of a modular helmet. However you pay more for a lighter and quiet modular.

Have been very happy with my BMW Evo6 modular.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom