Motorcycle Insurance for Young Beginners [20] | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Insurance for Young Beginners [20]

I

itsdeli

Hello,

I'm 20 years old, just recently passed my M2 through learning curves in Markham so I have the MSF Certificate but all together I've done M1-M2 in a the span of 2 weeks. I have never been insured on a motorcycle but do own a car with a full G license and a super clean record with no tickets. I'm looking to buy a R6 soon for next season, but I'm hesitant on going through with it because of the insurance cost.

I've been told to try riders plus, Aviva, dalton timmies and state farm so far. I've heard since I live in Scarborough insurance rates are pretty garbage, especially since I'm young.

Do you guys have any recommendations for new young riders? And yes, I'm pretty firm on getting a 600cc particularly the 07' Yamaha R6.

No recommendations other than those you have mentioned. (Popular site agents/ brokers are: Andy Singh, Paul South, Cornerstone and Vinnie)
Yes you're gonna get screwed. (Not gonna sugar coat it)
I'm pretty sure I know a guy selling an 07 R6 (I'm not gonna try changing your mind about that)
Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendations, yeah I've been pretty set on a R6 for a while now. If it really comes down to it and I can't afford the insurance I will go down to a 300cc till I can build up my insurance record. I know that you don't really get a insurance break till you hit 25, but what can you do 5 more years for that one.

Thank You! Do you know any other young riders around the GTA? I just went down to Statefarm; Randy Flemmings - Insurance Agent near Markham & Sheppard he told me he specifically didn't do motorcycle insurance. Might need to try another state farm near by.

Welcome. Remember you don't get your M2 until a minimum of 60 days after you wrote your M1, so set a calendar reminder to go to the MTO office at that 60 day anniversary and get your M2 upgrade. If you don't you'll have to jump through hoops to accomplish the upgrade come spring and probably pay again for the M1. The upgrade will be submitted electronically via your learning curves course to the MTO systems, but you still need to go finalize it and collect the paper with it printed on it, and you'll get a new plastic licence a few weeks later.

As for the R6, well, yeah...not a beginner bike (no supersport is) and you will get raped on insurance at age 20 with no experience, no MC insurance history, and only an M2. That's if you can even find anyone willing to insure you on it. I would look at a more beginner friendly bike unless $500-$1K/month is in your budget for the insurance alone.

There is no "perfect" insurance agent or company that any one person can suggest...you need to call around and do the legwork as there's so many variables that what works for one rider may not for the next. Lots of suggestions on places to call here in this very forum, simply do some reading from some threads back in the spring (when these topics are a dime a dozen) to do some learning.

Riders Plus is beginner friendly (but not cheap and I don't think they do <25 M2 SS), and Dalton Timmis is *excellent* (both our bikes are through them) but I'm not sure they'll have a market for a young no experience rider on a SS, but that's going to be the same with many underwriters, but they're worth the call.

Last edited:
Yeup I marked it down on my calendar already. Through what forums I've read through I found Riders Plus & Dalton Timmis to be pretty popular amongst new riders. I'll be sure to call them tomorrow morning to see if I can get a reasonable quote, from what the instructors mentioned I think the MSF Course is considered to be an equivalent of 3 years riding experience to some insurance companies I was hoping that would be a major back bone for my insurance rate.

from what the instructors mentioned I think the MSF Course is considered to be an equivalent of 3 years riding experience

It counts for a slight discount and recognition as having certainly having been beneficial for the purpose of insurance...but the equivalent of 3 years experience for the purpose of insurance? No, most certainly not.

It makes you a far safer rider, don't get me wrong, it was money very well spent no matter what, but there's no way to get around the fact that an under 25 rider on a supersport, regardless of your G driving history or M related courses you've taken, the insurance is going to cost 3 arms and 5 legs.

If the bike is financed in any way and you're obligated to carry full coverage (vs just liability) the numbers get bigger yet.

Sorry, I hate to be a downer, but it is what it is.

Whatever you do, don't buy a bike before getting firm insurance quotes on it. Lots of people make that mistake, especially in the spring - they always look great on the showroom floor, salespeople love selling them, but there's often tears and shattered dreams shortly thereafter when they realize $1000/month for insurance is the reality they face.

At least you have a backup plan with the smaller bike in mind. It should make things more palatable for sure, but again...call before buying. ;)

...yeah I've been pretty set on a R6 for a while now. If it really comes down to it and I can't afford the insurance I will go down to a 300cc till I can build up my insurance record...

Also note that sport bikes are highly sought after by thieves. If you live in an apartment/condo reconsider, or get insurance with theft.

Your first bike is not your last bike. There are many benefits of going with a smaller bike, that are more important than just savings on your insurance premium.

It counts for a slight discount and recognition as having certainly having been beneficial for the purpose of insurance...but the equivalent of 3 years experience for the purpose of insurance? No, most certainly not.

It makes you a far safer rider, don't get me wrong, it was money very well spent no matter what, but there's no way to get around the fact that an under 25 rider on a supersport, regardless of your G driving history or M related courses you've taken, the insurance is going to cost 3 arms and 5 legs.

If the bike is financed in any way and you're obligated to carry full coverage (vs just liability) the numbers get bigger yet.

Sorry, I hate to be a downer, but it is what it is.

Whatever you do, don't buy a bike before getting firm insurance quotes on it. Lots of people make that mistake, especially in the spring - they always look great on the showroom floor, salespeople love selling them, but there's often tears and shattered dreams shortly thereafter when they realize $1000/month for insurance is the reality they face.

No need to apologize, all this just helps me out yeah I'm trying to see if I'll get lucky with insurance I intend to try with my quotes for an R6 and see if its doable until I consider a 300cc which shouldn't be a problem in my case. As for buying the bike, I won't be doing so until I receive various numbers of quotes from different brokers. I should be able to purchase the bike R6 or 300cc completely by the start of the next season so I won't have to get full coverage. I don't intend on riding till I paid off the bike.

At least you have a backup plan with the smaller bike in mind. It should make things more palatable for sure, but again...call before buying. ;)

Yeah I understand a 600cc as a 20 year old is a pretty uphill battle, but still I'd like to see what kind of options I have before I reconsider.

Also note that sport bikes are highly sought after by thieves. If you live in an apartment/condo reconsider, or get insurance with theft.

Your first bike is not your last bike. There are many benefits of going with a smaller bike, that are more important than just savings on your insurance premium.

I know that some insurance companies ask if you store your bike within your garage/home, I'll be taking that option for sure.

I came across another thread where two 20-22 year olds were quoted around 2000 for 600cc sport bikes, this would be pretty reasonable in my case if I could find a similar quote. I'll be emailing vnarace@allstate.ca for more information.

Last edited:
I should be able to purchase the bike R6 or 300cc completely by the start of the next season so I won't have to get full coverage. I don't intend on riding till I paid off the bike.

I would expect you to pay at least 1-2x what the bike is worth, per year, in insurance. So if you are having issues affording the bike alone, I would rethink. I don't think its likely a new rider on an SS will pay anywhere near 2000 per year.

What is it about the R6? Have you ridden one? Why the obsession? Seems odd to be so incredibly dead set on a bike after 2 weeks of being a motorcyclist

you will not get reasonable insurance on a 600cc SS, period. StateFarm is no longer an option after being bought out by Desjardins because they no longer rate by cc's only. Aviva will be $5000+ most likely, I was getting rates of about 2500-2700 liability only on a 2010 ZX6, Daytona 675 and Ducati 848. I'm 26, 7 years riding with 1 ticket to give you an idea. I ended up getting a brand new 959 Panigale insured elsewhere for 1920 full coverage but that doesn't help you because that company requires you to be over 25 and have an M for a minimum of 4 years.

You're pretty much out of luck here. Get a 300, call it a day and do your time.

I'm 27 with m2, clean record and 1 year of insurance, while this quote is probably a bit high.. Don't be shocked when you get quotes like these
19dd2a36e3c6e8eccc2f1cd3c738d6ee.jpg

If I were you I'd reasonably expect to pay 3500-4500 for the r6 maybe 2000-2500 for the r3. I was dead set on a gsxr 600 as my first bike and now I ride a Vulcan haha.. I've been riding my whole life though...be careful if you do get that r6.. They are not toys and also you should probably put sliders or a cage on it lol plastic is expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would expect you to pay at least 1-2x what the bike is worth, per year, in insurance. So if you are having issues affording the bike alone, I would rethink. I don't think its likely a new rider on an SS will pay anywhere near 2000 per year.

What is it about the R6? Have you ridden one? Why the obsession? Seems odd to be so incredibly dead set on a bike after 2 weeks of being a motorcyclist

Sorry I wasn't clear in my first post, 2 weeks was just the experience I have that brokers would consider viable from M1 to present. I didn't bother including other experiences because it wouldn't be relevant in the case of insurance. A 2005 R6 is what I learned to ride on, my older friends often went to the track and taught me at a younger age but I was never interested in street riding till now. I understand that many 600cc bikes are definitely un forgiving, but the R6 has a very linear power band its not that torquey like other bikes and to really get going on it you'd need to stay in the higher RPMs. I've grown to like it a lot over the years, but again I enjoy anything on two wheels I don't mind having to build up credit on a 300cc.

you will not get reasonable insurance on a 600cc SS, period. StateFarm is no longer an option after being bought out by Desjardins because they no longer rate by cc's only. Aviva will be $5000+ most likely, I was getting rates of about 2500-2700 liability only on a 2010 ZX6, Daytona 675 and Ducati 848. I'm 26, 7 years riding with 1 ticket to give you an idea. I ended up getting a brand new 959 Panigale insured elsewhere for 1920 full coverage but that doesn't help you because that company requires you to be over 25 and have an M for a minimum of 4 years.

You're pretty much out of luck here. Get a 300, call it a day and do your time.

Do you know how long it takes to build credit enough to get a 600cc quote down to around 2-2.5k a year, I heard a lot of 300cc depreciate in value specifically the R3s. If thats the case a Ninja 250 doesn't sound bad since they retain most of their value.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my first post, 2 weeks was just the experience I have that brokers would consider viable from M1 to present. I didn't bother including other experiences because it wouldn't be relevant in the case of insurance. A 2005 R6 is what I learned to ride on, my older friends often went to the track and taught me at a younger age but I was never interested in street riding till now. I understand that many 600cc bikes are definitely un forgiving, but the R6 has a very linear power band its not that torquey like other bikes and to really get going on it you'd need to stay in the higher RPMs. I've grown to like it a lot over the years, but again I enjoy anything on two wheels I don't mind having to build up credit on a 300cc.

Do you know how long it takes to build credit enough to get a 600cc quote down to around 2-2.5k a year, I heard a lot of 300cc depreciate in value specifically the R3s. If thats the case a Ninja 250 doesn't sound bad since they retain most of their value.

Probably 3-4 years experience, over 25 and a full m license and it would be reasonably affordable

Probably 3-4 years experience, over 25 and a full m license and it would be reasonably affordable

would you say insurance companies prefer continued insurance over having a M licence for a longer period of time? or vice versa.

would you say insurance companies prefer continued insurance over having a M licence for a longer period of time? or vice versa.

Every company assesses risk in a different way so it's hard to say what they would prefer.. Call them and ask for quotes and post up what you get..I am curious haha

Also I'm with riders plus and I think they told me they don't touch supersport.. Aviva will rate you as a 3 star rider if you've done an msf course I believe..which is good for you haha and I believe dalton underwrites for aviva and I don't think you can be insured by Allstate.. I forget what the restrictions are but I think you have to be over 30

Last edited:
Yea man I found this post from the guy you were going to email

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/archive/index.php/t-194945.html

"If you are looking for a quote our guidelines state that you have to be over 30 have an M license for 4 years and proof of continuous insurance for the past 3 years, and clean record.

SS Bikes: Anything classified as a Sport bike will require that you bring across a home or an auto line. If you are 30 years old and have an M for 4 years and have at least 3 years of continuous MC insurance we can now give a 30% Elite rider discount for 600cc bikes."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I'm 20 years old, just recently passed my M2 through learning curves in Markham so I have the MSF Certificate but all together I've done M1-M2 in a the span of 2 weeks. I have never been insured on a motorcycle but do own a car with a full G license and a super clean record with no tickets. I'm looking to buy a R6 soon for next season, but I'm hesitant on going through with it because of the insurance cost.

I've been told to try riders plus, Aviva, dalton timmies and state farm so far. I've heard since I live in Scarborough insurance rates are pretty garbage, especially since I'm young.

Do you guys have any recommendations for new young riders? And yes, I'm pretty firm on getting a 600cc particularly the 07' Yamaha R6.

Although it will be expensive, Aviva will be competitive on the R6 for a new rider as long as you do not have 2 or more convictions on your record.

Also, due to the fact you have completed the motorcycle training course, you get rated as a "3 star" rider (the equivalent of someone who has been riding for 3 years).

Contact me if you would like to obtain a quote through them.

Ah makes sense. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom