FZ-07 Race bike build | GTAMotorcycle.com

FZ-07 Race bike build

fiddleguy

Site Supporter
Hello,
Friends have been bugging the hell out of me to post a "build thread" for this.
I really don't think it's that big of a deal, but since I've got some time, here ya go....

I took this:

...removed all of this:

...threw this stuff at it:

...added R6 front end and wheels, quick shifter and a bunch of standard race bike parts, then ended up with this:

I guess if anyone needs FZ07 parts, I have a pile of MINT stuff for sale. ;)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's sweet.

Stunning ! Now, as Uncle Frank Mrazek would say, "go out and win Battles of Twins" !!!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I know squat about race bikes, but I am curious: why the FZ-07 and not a bike that already had fairings?
Nice end product, btw.

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Anyone who knows me, knows that I know squat about race bikes, but I am curious: why the FZ-07 and not a bike that already had fairings?
Nice end product, btw.

Probably because he was working for a Yamaha dealer (and not a Kawasaki or Suzuki dealer), and therefore, this is what he had to work with in order to build something that qualified for the Twins (two-cylinder engine) class.

Even if you start with something that has stock fairings, you have to replace them anyhow, because it is a requirement in modern rule books that the lower bodywork be enclosed at the bottom in order to (hopefully) contain fluids that may spill in the event that something breaks. Original-equipment bodywork is never like that.

(Very nice build, Craig. I hoped to see it this past summer but we never crossed paths)

Thanks Brian!

Sent from my custom Purple Joe Bass mobile on Tapatalk

Well done, looks sweet. Do you know the end weight with all that stuff off? You brakes must have improved with the r6 front end, plus suspension.

awsomeness. curious about rwhp/torque numbers? weight? and where/will, we see you race it?

I haven't done any measuring yet. Haven't done much at all yet....too busy at work, but planning to work on it some more during this off season.
Best I can tell you is estimates at 340 lbs, 85 hp. These numbers from friends and colleagues down south who have built the same thing.
AP Motoarts has theirs up to a reliable 94hp/54 ftLbs and are racing it way more than I am.
That's mild head work, cams and stock bore pistons.
As I said, been really busy at work, so I only got to ride this thing on two occasions this year.
I did one round at RACE and a round at SOAR.
Best finish was fourth place, which I'm pretty happy with considering it's a new concept AND I haven't raced anything for at least four years.
My notes from those two outings:
- the FZ has more speed than the SV's, but they have better torque and drive on corner exits.
- the stock R6 forks worked well until I got to front pack lap times....then I was on my ***.
I'll be looking at some engine and suspension this winter.

Probably because he was working for a Yamaha dealer (and not a Kawasaki or Suzuki dealer), and therefore, this is what he had to work with in order to build something that qualified for the Twins (two-cylinder engine) class.
(Very nice build, Craig. I hoped to see it this past summer but we never crossed paths)

Thanks Brian.
To clarify, I am also a Suzuki dealer, so an SV was also an option, but then that would just put yet another SV out there.
Using a Yamaha, we are hoping to stir the pot a little bit and drum up some renewed interest in the Twins/Middle weight categories.
I would REALLY love to see more entries and some growth in those classes, and hope that something like this will inspire younger riders to take that step before big expensive Superbikes, as well as the older guys like myself who have been there, but now just want to have fun on a decent budget.

This bike is now a very affordable KIT. An excellent alternative to an SV (which needs some pretty decent $$$ to get 85hp and a 5.5 rear wheel).

I'll be displaying it at the show in Jan, and will be there to answer questions if anyone is interested.

Yup! That's your huckleberry ^
Like I said, I hope to see more up here next year.
I put young Jordan Renshaw on mine for some practice sessions at that SOAR round, and he and his Dad really liked it.
Will probably see him on one next year!

Even if you start with something that has stock fairings, you have to replace them anyhow, because it is a requirement in modern rule books that the lower bodywork be enclosed at the bottom in order to (hopefully) contain fluids that may spill in the event that something breaks. Original-equipment bodywork is never like that.

this explains the "Vos" free advertisement on the bike.

Must have had a lot of money to burn, or gotten a huge discount on parts, either way nice bike.

Must have had a lot of money to burn, or gotten a huge discount on parts, either way nice bike.

Or just built a bike that's different and cool. Who cares if it cost him $50k, that's not the point and it's irrelevant.

I never advertise for free.
That said, this was all done on MY dime, but not expensive at all.
Get your self an FZ (new or used) and the AP Motoarts Kit is only $3000 and change.
That`s the entire point of the program.
It`s another affordable option for anyone looking for an alternative to an SV for a middle weight racing program.
BUT, yes....in my case, Yamaha Motors Canada and VOS Motors are partners (I don`t use the term `sponsor`), so the bike and parts are discounted
....however, I sense that I should add that considering my background and previous accomplishments, I have earned that support.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom