help! 2009 BMW F800S repairs.. | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

help! 2009 BMW F800S repairs..

Man, remind me to never borrow anything from GTAM, especially definitions. I suppose the OP will find out if this friendship is boat he wants to sail on.

Oh my weary internet friend why you always trying to trick me? Hasn't the rental company already acknowledged it's responsibility by having "in the event of" strategies in place? That is there duty, they recognize it and hence, you don't drive away without a walk around inspection and signing documents. Now there is an agreement in place.

OTOH, you could lend your brand new truck to the hard working devil may care family tree and yell at clouds til your head explodes.

I had a very good laugh at that line, thx

I'm outta this thread before my head explodes.What a bunch of crap.

Jeezuz!More self entitlement.Shouldn't be any thinking about this.Fix it for him and don't give him a chance to say "well,it's old now and you didn't mean it".That's kinda what i said to a family member who wrecked my new truck,thinking they would have the respect to get it fixed.They didn't and will never get any more help from me.
Nice guys finish last.And retain their nice guy status.The others are pathetic

Just and observation, you are coming across as angry. Just because you had a problem with your family member does not mean everyone else operates in such a manner.
You mention entitlement...let's keep things real...it's an OLD bike, fix it and move on but if my 'friend' expected the full $4k to put back OEM parts for a bike that is WORTH $4-6k as others mentioned...we can go to court because the friendship is now over. I would not want someone like that around me because I would not do that to a friend of mine. I would take the cheapest option (not dirt cheap, best cheap)...as others said buy better parts or buy another bike option.

To each their own but let's be real it's plastic and metal that is working it's way down to $0 even if you let the bike just sit there.

Cranky%20old%20man_zpsfvt3kuej.jpg

Re: help! 2008 BMW F800S repairs..

I've kind of skimmed over the replies so I apologize if this info has been duplicated.

There's a guy on the F800 forum near Niagara Falls that is parting out a couple of ST's which have a lot of common parts with the S. http://f800riders.org

Also Ron at the Motorrad Shop in Aurora definitely has more reasonable rates than a dealer, but OEM parts are still going to cost the same.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Man, remind me to never borrow anything from GTAM, especially definitions. I suppose the OP will find out if this friendship is boat he wants to sail on.

good bet sooner or later it's done, or at least that's how the same deal played out for me

At the end of the day and personal experience. I'd fault myself for lending out the vehicle. It's a risk as a lender I take.

I lent my vehicle to my babysitter to take my kids for their swimming lessons. I was away for work. Well she found a yellow post. I didn't make it her pay for thr damage. I could but at $1900 from a legit shop and possibly of losing an excellent babysitter. Hmm quite honsetly good reliable child care is hard to find.

At the end of the day and personal experience. I'd fault myself for lending out the vehicle. It's a risk as a lender I take.

I lent my vehicle to my babysitter to take my kids for their swimming lessons. I was away for work. Well she found a yellow post. I didn't make it her pay for thr damage. I could but at $1900 from a legit shop and possibly of losing an excellent babysitter. Hmm quite honsetly good reliable child care is hard to find.

thats a bit different. You did that to benefit you (your kids) as part of a paid negotiation with your babysitter. If I lend out my bike to a friend (I wouldn't) I would say that it has to come back in exactly the same condition as it went out in. Doesn't matter if it's 8 years old. If the bike has been looked after so it looks like new I want it back looking like new.

Another factor: Did the user ask to borrow the bike, car, tool or was it offered without being asked?

A friend has offered to let me try out his newer Goldwing but I have declined. If I did try it out I would still make sure it came back right.

If I encourage someone to use something of mine I feel some of the burden is on me but if I am coerced into it it's their problem.

I was raised that when I borrow something I return it in better shape then when I got it. Be it a full tank of gas, or a clean vehicle. If this was me, the only thing I would be doing is getting a quote from BMW to fix it, then letting my friend know I intend to fix it back to new... no matter what the age of the bike, it does not matter. A good friend will want to help you out as well, no one wins in this situation, I know my friends would gladly look for cheaper options, but the intention to fully pay and fix should be there and ready to follow through if that is what they want.

Some great advice in this thread and thanks for helping me see some options. I'm still putting together numbers before asking my bud how he wants to proceed.. For all the lessons on morality here, if he wants dealer to fix it, that's of course what I'll do, but I think there's some better moves.. It'll be up to him.. Also, I did tell him I dropped the bike the same day.
I'll let you guys know how this works out.

Hey Eric,
How did it go?

Hey Eric,
How did it go?

He has been helped out. Gave him some advise and more important contacts that he can use to get this fixed up.

Last I followed up with him - he was ordering parts and sending fairings out to get fixed so it would be as good or better than new.

He should back on the road with a mint bike pretty soon from what I can tell.

quickly found parts cost approximately

Peg - 95
mirror - 146
bar end - 55
turn signal - 40

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

these are OEM from BMW in US funds

and you can put them on yourself, no need for dealer to do any work for those 4 items...

Yes, use a US source for OEM parts. If it was my bike damaged I'd expect an OEM repair, not a hack job to minimize cost to the guy that dropped the bike.

quickly found parts cost approximately

Peg - 95
mirror - 146
bar end - 55
turn signal - 40

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

these are OEM from BMW in US funds

and you can put them on yourself, no need for dealer to do any work for those 4 items...

You just priced out the cheap parts! :)

Trim Panel, top right: $669
Trim Panel, lower right: $371
Rear Lateral Part, right: $216

All prices in USD, so total = $1900 CDN (1.34 exchange rate + 13% Ontario taxes)
Add shipping and you're probably sitting at $2K even.

Yes, use a US source for OEM parts. If it was my bike damaged I'd expect an OEM repair, not a hack job to minimize cost to the guy that dropped the bike.

my list only included the parts he could replace himself as I mentioned

but the guys are friends and it will be ultimately decided between them on how the repairs will be handled......we all can have a difference on what a friendship can cost....

we were here only to offer up some suggestions....

Back
Top Bottom