help! 2009 BMW F800S repairs.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

help! 2009 BMW F800S repairs..

psiborg

help! 2008 BMW F800S repairs..

Hey everyone.. I hope someone can give advice here.. I borrowed a friends F800S and dropped it after hitting sand in the garage. BMW quoted me ~$4k !!! to repair. Is there a place I can get a better quote? even just to order parts that I install myself?

From what I see, I need
* upper right fairing
* lower right fairing
* rear right fairing
* new bar end
* new mirror
* new foot peg

(pics)
http://i.imgur.com/5vPxcCK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jBSHIen.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cJTkn0H.jpg

-Eric

Attachments

• 5vPxcCKl.jpg
    5vPxcCKl.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 116
  • jBSHIenl.jpg
    jBSHIenl.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 104
  • cJTkn0Hl.jpg
    cJTkn0Hl.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
try Ebay for the parts, bar end, mirror, foot peg, and turn signal

as for the fairings, you will need a body shop that will do the work, or new/used fairings, from dealer or Ebay once again...

I unfortunately don't know any shops, my last painting was done by me, and previous to that was by CarbonCat, he used to have a shop out in the Niagara area...

Hey everyone.. I hope someone can give advice here.. I borrowed a friends F800S and dropped it after hitting sand in the garage. BMW quoted me ~$4k !!! to repair. Is there a place I can get a better quote? even just to order parts that I install myself?

From what I see, I need
* upper right fairing
* lower right fairing
* rear right fairing
* new bar end
* new mirror
* new foot peg

(pics)
http://i.imgur.com/5vPxcCK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jBSHIen.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cJTkn0H.jpg

-Eric

Strange story, from the pictures you slid a bit after falling over, how fast were you going on the sand in your garage?

PM Frekeyguy, see if he can help you. His labour rate will be cheaper, I don't know if he has pull to get cheaper parts.

Are you sure you don't want to buy the bike off your friend? With the exception of the turn signal, the damage does not appear to effect the function of the bike. Spending most of the value of the bike for new plastics doesn't make a lot of sense (although I am happy you are manning up and fixing the bike you borrowed).

Alternatively, when I had a vehicle damaged before, I took a cheque for roughly what it would cost to fix it the cheapest way possible. Damage would cost ~2500 to fix properly, I figured it affected the trade in value by ~1K, so I took a cheque for $2000. It was cheaper for the other guy and better for me as well.

EDIT:
There are lots of F800s's on kijiji for 4 to 6K. I would buy one of them and swap panels with your buddy before spending 4K on some plastic bits. This way you end up with a bike too.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet most of that $4K is for the plastics.

Take it in to a (non-BMW) motorcycle service shop and ask how much it would take to repair the plastics and repaint them. Bet you it will be a fraction of the cost of buying new parts. Obviously, ask your buddy if that's an acceptable fix first. I chipped the nose fairing of my sportbike and the dealership wanted $600 to replace the whole nose cone. LOL, whut? It cost me less than $100 to get it repaired and repainted and it looked as good as new when it came back.

Ask you buddy if he'll be happy with aftermarket bar ends, mirrors, foot pegs. You can get some really nice stuff brand new for much cheaper than the OEM parts. If he wants OEM, then check eBay in the US. New parts there will be generally be less expensive than buying it at the CDN dealership, even with shipping. And old/used parts will be dirt cheap by comparison.

Good suggestions so far. It would be a shame to spendy 4 large to fix the bike only to have buddy sell it next year for what it's worth like the guy who pooled together 10 of his best buddys to build a garage for beer then sold the house next year for $50g above asking. It must have been the sand:rolleyes:

Ya.. kind of embarrassing. I've ridden the bike couple times before, but this time just after leaving the stall and starting to accelerate away, the tire caught sand and slipped out. I almost regained control, but lost it. By then, I was maybe 10kph? It did slide a bit...

Thanks so much for the tips. I need to do some work searching for parts.. and I'll definitely PM Frekeyguy. Buying another bike.. also a good idea.

Two questions

(1) How much is your friendship worth

(2) If the situation were turned around, would YOU be satisfied with a halfhearted repair, or would you want it done right.

You borrow a bike (or anything)- you return it in the condition it was when you borrowed it.

Tell your friend you damaged their bike and you will be taking it to a BMW dealer to repair to original condition with OEM parts. Don't do anything else unless your friend suggests otherwise.

Expensive lesson.

Last edited:
Easy questions..

(1) much more than 4k
(2) I want to get the repairs done right.. but without dealer gouging.. so it make sense to check options.

Two questions

(1) How much is your friendship worth

(2) If the situation were turned around, would YOU be satisfied with a halfhearted repair, or would you want it done right.

Bingo. I'd eat the cost and do it as best I can. Ask your friend how he would want to proceed, but I'd start with "I ****ed up and broke your bike, I will pay for its repair however you want it". Moreover, let him decide how he wants to proceed.

If it were my bike, I'd want OEM parts without question. If you can find someone reputable to do the labour to save money though, I'd personally be ok with - with a mechanic of my choosing.

Edit: this came off a little more harsh than I wanted. I don't think you're trying to jeopardize your friendship, you're just trying to ease the expense. Still, I'd get your friend's approval every step of the way.

get the parts required, OEM, from dealer or Ebay, and put them on yourself, nothing hard about putting on a peg, mirror, turn signal and bar end...you save the labor costs on this...you don't need a mechanic or shop, or shop rates, it's all simple parts to put on....

heck get the parts, bring over a few beer and I'll put them on for you.....

The plastics, well get a shop to do it, even BMW farms out their work, just find a place that will do as good as a job as they will without the cost...

Last edited:
If it were my bike, I'd want OEM parts without question.

Depends. This is BMW pricing. For instance, S1000RR OEM rearsets are $2000 to replace the entire assembly. If my buddy said he would replace them with Satos or similar for less than half that price, I'd say yeah, go for it...! The bike looks pretty stock. Now could be a good opportunity to get flush-mount turn signals, Rizoma bar-end mirrors and caps, etc...

Last edited:
hmmm, interesting...if the valet damaged my car I'd need fixed to new no matter the cost. A friend? Hey, I lent him the bike, bikes fall over. I know that. Would I make my friend, the borrowee, suffer financially? No I'd take into account pos old BMW and work back from there. Friendship is a 2 way street.

Edit; pos was a little harsh

This whole thing is kind of a moral issue.

Someone trying to cheap out on their obligation and asking others to suggest solutions when there's only one option - the bike goes to a BMW dealer where a repair with OEM parts is quoted. At the very least man up and do that.
There is no other option unless THE FRIEND suggests them without being prompted by you.

That's what I'd do and that's what I would expect any decent person to do. Sorry that's probably not what you want to hear.

Depends. This is BMW pricing. For instance, S1000RR OEM rearsets are $2000 to replace the entire assembly. If my buddy said he would replace them with Satos or similar for less than half that price, I'd say yeah, go for it...! The bike looks pretty stock. Now could be a good opportunity to get flush-mount turn signals, Rizoma bar-end mirrors and caps, etc...

Th

These ideas make the most sense and is a win win for both of you.
He gets better parts and you save money.
Most of that stuff is simply bolt ons, check youtube and forums for how to swap the parts.

A friend will work with you since he trusts you to ride the bike.
It's not a new bike, so let's keep things real.

Why pay BMW $125/hr plus tax to simply unbolt bar ends and rearsets?
You can probably fix the bike back for less than $1k with Ebay...I did not look at the pics.

yeah, talk to friend first - let them decide what they want to do, but you have to insist that you're going to fix it cuz if your friend does the 'don't worry about it' thing, it'll affect you for years to come.

Lightcycle raises a good point about getting aftermarket dressy parts...give them the option, but unfortunately for the plastics, I would not want anything other than OEM for replacements.

I don't think there's any recovering from this. The bike may look new when fixed but we all know it's been down. If crash buddy earns his money buying low, selling high (as I suspect) I'd stick it to him big time for a valuable life lesson. That's what friends are for.

Back
Top Bottom