Abs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Abs

I didn't hear any sound bites. And what references?

It's consistent with what I've read elsewhere, and it doesn't surprise me one bit.

One thing I am getting from that paper is that insurance should be offering a discount to motorcycles equipped with ABS, according the insurance industry's own statistics

I think you mean ABCs

or ddt

dunno about current race bikes tho, they run abs? never had any use for it, myself

it increases braking distance ..last i heard

Last edited:
dunno about current race bikes tho, they run abs?

no but at the top tier and several spots in the middle, they are piloted by guys with alien reflexs that process the ability to be thinking three corners ahead of the one they are entering

that and a hostess chip truck isnt pulling out in front of an 800lbs cruising pig, they are all going the same direction (mostly)

dunno about current race bikes tho, they run abs? never had any use for it, myself

It also allows you to maintain control of your bike when you panic and instinctively grab a handful of front brake. Unless going over the handlebars and possibly into oncoming traffic is your thing. Or you're one of those people that don't use your front brake, in which case enjoy the lowside.

I have mixed feelings on ABS – I think people should learn on a bike without it so that they have a better understanding of threshold breaking and proper use of brakes (vs just "squeeze as hard as you can"), however for the experienced rider it certainly has many advantages in possibly saving ones *** in situations that might otherwise be a serious wreck.

no but at the top tier and several spots in the middle, they are piloted by guys with alien reflexs that process the ability to be thinking three corners ahead of the one they are entering

that and a hostess chip truck isnt pulling out in front of an 800lbs cruising pig, they are all going the same direction (mostly)

lol, key word tho is no

lol, key word tho is no

lol, well since you typed in big letters, I should have said not much. There was some track testing done, Weekend Fred was actually slightly faster with ABS enabled and Joe Rocket seasoned racer was the same lap time, sometimes a bit slower.

But its not really race technology, its a street safety product

Also, we are in a thread where the first post has a link to a peer reviewed paper that argues the statistical efficacy of ABS

I didn't hear any sound bites. And what references?
"Study reveals how effective antilock braking systems are in reducing motorcycle accidents"
Then they give summary numbers, but don't really give references to the actual studies.

and the main point is?
People say stuff, and don't show how it's backed up with hard facts.
Maybe they have the facts, maybe they're just making stuff they like up.

Anyways, anecdotal evidence says that ABS helps me brake shorter on varied types of pavement.
It's very consistent, maybe not at a pro level with a pro level bike, but since (here's my sound bite with no references)
"some cruisers can outbrake ss bikes, so no abs on ss is kind of moot."

The situation on a race track is different from on the street.

On the track, the rider has the opportunity to fine-tune brake application repeatedly in every corner that needs the brakes, lap after lap, for a few practice sessions, before going out on the track in a situation where it counts.

On the street, when that Ford hangs a left directly in front of you ... you don't have that benefit. (And I've been on the receiving end of that one.)

ABS is, for the most part, not a benefit on a roadrace bike. The exception is when it starts raining ...

I don't particularly want ABS on my race bike. I won't buy another street bike without it.

"Study reveals how effective antilock braking systems are in reducing motorcycle accidents"
Then they give summary numbers, but don't really give references to the actual studies.

The article has a link to the paper that it's quoting, which in turn is a meta-analysis of other studies. The article is poorly laid out, though. This is the paper in question

Back
Top Bottom