Carpal tunnel repair...too many years riding and computing | GTAMotorcycle.com

Carpal tunnel repair...too many years riding and computing

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Been long overdue for both hands ...courtesy of too much riding with drop bars and too much work on the computer so for bad condition on a score of 6 I'm a six ...

Combined with my damaged shoulder ( not going to get better ) ....can be really a struggle with my right hand.....tho clutch hand is annoying as well.

Anyone who has had the surgery ....what is recovery time ( I'm likely doing right hand first )

TIA

As an electrician I know what you mean with the hands lol. I haven't had surgery on mine because they have gotten better since I switched to maintenance and less construction. I have had a back surgery though lol.
I have had friends do the wrist surgery and it has worked out great for them. Not exactly sure but my friend couldn't really use a drill after the 5th week because the torque would hurt the tender muscles.
Ask your surgeon for the best recover method.
Good luck.

What is the issue with the shoulder? I ask because the shoulder will lengthen the recovery time. As you likely already know when we injure a body part the body "adjusts", (or at least tries), to compensate for the effects of the injury. Therefore, once the carpel tunnel is fixed the body will still try to compensate for the shoulder, it could cause recurring damage to the wrist.

Combined with my damaged shoulder ( not going to get better )

Shoulder and wrist injury / recovery periods can be long, 2 - 3 months or more. I'm assuming you've seen a physiotherapist for your shoulder. Many people suffer from have rotator cuff or other shoulder issues, but never seek care, and there are exercises / therapies that can resolve issues over time.

I did both at the same time and was off work for 2 weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If its mostly ligaments and muscular (soft) tissue causing your issues, perhaps you could look into http://www.regenexx.com/ - stem cell injections into the affected areas, then combine that with physio for improved posture and you could reduce your recovery time. I dunno what kind of surgery carpal tunnel warrants, but I've been researching shoulder rotator cuff surgery alternatives for a few weeks now, *because I'm going for surgery tomorrow* and I'm not looking forward to it at all LOL

Had to give the bike it's annual wash, oil change and tune, then went for storage at my FIL's, cuz as of tomorrow I wont have a left arm to use for 4 weeks. After that, it'll be 5 months of rehab to regain total use of my arm again. GD I hope it's all worth it.

I think it's way too early, but I might change one of my cars over to winter tyres tonight, too, just so I don't have to call in too many favours from my friends this year to help me do both of my cars :\

If its mostly ligaments and muscular (soft) tissue causing your issues, perhaps you could look into http://www.regenexx.com/ - stem cell injections into the affected areas, then combine that with physio for improved posture and you could reduce your recovery time. I dunno what kind of surgery carpal tunnel warrants, but I've been researching shoulder rotator cuff surgery alternatives for a few weeks now, *because I'm going for surgery tomorrow* and I'm not looking forward to it at all LOL

Had to give the bike it's annual wash, oil change and tune, then went for storage at my FIL's, cuz as of tomorrow I wont have a left arm to use for 4 weeks. After that, it'll be 5 months of rehab to regain total use of my arm again. GD I hope it's all worth it.

I think it's way too early, but I might change one of my cars over to winter tyres tonight, too, just so I don't have to call in too many favours from my friends this year to help me do both of my cars :\
I had rotator cuff surgery last Feb 22. I have been going to physio therapy, massage therapy and acupuncture. Mine was a "massive tear", it has been 9 months and I still can't raise my right arm to shoulder height on it's own. They told me, "wherever you are after 18 months from your surgery, is where you will end up". I am hoping to get to 85% or 90%. It also depends on your age. The older you are the longer recovery.

I had rotator cuff surgery last Feb 22. I have been going to physio therapy, massage therapy and acupuncture. Mine was a "massive tear", it has been 9 months and I still can't raise my right arm to shoulder height on it's own. They told me, "wherever you are after 18 months from your surgery, is where you will end up". I am hoping to get to 85% or 90%. It also depends on your age. The older you are the longer recovery.

Daaaaaaaammmmmnnnnn!!!!!!! Was your surgery prompted by a massive accident, then?

I have an 8-year history of shoulder dislocations - started with snowboarding, but it gradually worsened and started happening during mountain biking, dirt biking, softball, and even once while jumping into a GD pool LMFAO. I would say right now, I have full range of motion of the rotator cuff itself, only limited by my own flexibility, really. I went on my last MTB ride on saturday and despite having a few crashes (dry-ish trails but wet rocks = no bueno), I was still lucky I didn't manage to pop it out. I'm in my early 30's.

That sounds about right for the 18 month measuring stick. I am 24 months post shoulder injury from being rear ended on bike, (by another bike), thus far no one has recommended surgery. But at 18 months I struggled to raise left arm parallel to the ground and despite laser/massage, Chiropractor, and physio, it has not improved beyond that point other than for short periods, (usually for a couple of hours after physio). So at 24 months they have basically said that is your life from this point forward.

Forgot the age factor as well MacDoc, it will of course take those of us north of 55 longer to recover than someone who is 21 working as a cashier..lol.

Daaaaaaaammmmmnnnnn!!!!!!! Was your surgery prompted by a massive accident, then?

I was riding home Nov 18 last year. A car made a left turn 5 feet in front me, no signal either (I think she was texting, she was charged) I received terrible treatment at Lakeridge (Oshawa) and for over 4 weeks they kept telling me I only had a dislocated shoulder. So I had to wait to see a surgeon at St Mikes, and Feb was the earliest I could get in for surgery.

First get the exam done where they hook up probes to your hands and run current through,the screen shows how bad they are. I had the right done a year ago and seeing surgeon next week to book in lefty. May need to do the right a second time, it's common,but not at the same time. There is NO substitute for the procedure! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The first week is rough but I was riding the second week afterwards. If you think you need surgery,you certainly do.

recovery from carpal tunnel release surgery is quite simple.
they just snip the ligament that runs across the base of your palm at the wrist.
The incision is about an inch long, in line with your middle finger.

You just have to wait for the incision to fully heal (4 to 6 weeks) and then you should be able to gradually do stuff again.

Thanks - always a tad nervous hands and a sharp knife ;) surgeon or not.

First get the exam done where they hook up probes to your hands and run current through,the screen shows how bad they are

already done ...off the scale near enough.

Seeing doc tomorrow to book surgery ..hoping to get both done before I go back to Aus.

For those trying to heal without surgery....

Brand name is Tensor

817mIZYs1HL._SY450_.jpg

not cheap but very well made

futuro-reversible-splint-wrist-brace.jpg

the metal support is curved and follows the curve of the palm. Clever topological design to fit left or right and with a neat bit of CAD....took me a minute to get the left and right correct with folding inside out etc.

I can do near everything with them on

Doc says particularly important to wear at night

••••

What is the issue with the shoulder? I ask because the shoulder will lengthen the recovery time. As you likely already know when we injure a body part the body "adjusts", (or at least tries), to compensate for the effects of the injury. Therefore, once the carpel tunnel is fixed the body will still try to compensate for the shoulder, it could cause recurring damage to the wrist.

called getting crushed in a off pavement come off around 25 kph...peg dug in and torqued me hard into the ground .....
I've come off before and armor has absorbed it ...this time it was hot a bit rainy so had jacket open a bit ....I suspect the impact missed the armor.p

Doc looked at the Xrays or whatever it was and said live with it. So I have . Cramp busters help ....Go Cruise ...Celebrex.

I use cramp busters on both bars to keep my wrists straight ...never knew they had a left hand version.

Last edited:
Everytime I hear the word SURGERY, it sends shiver straight down my spine. Gotta keep my health in check from now on.

Hope everything goes well with you MacDoc.

Anyone who has had the surgery ....what is recovery time ( I'm likely doing right hand first )

TIA

It's been over 20 yrs right hand, don't remember any drama with the recovery. To date zero(0) problems. On the other hand I could use a little relief.

Thanks - always a tad nervous hands and a sharp knife ;) surgeon or not.

already done ...off the scale near enough.

Seeing doc tomorrow to book surgery ..hoping to get both done before I go back to Aus.

For those trying to heal without surgery....

Brand name is Tensor

817mIZYs1HL._SY450_.jpg

not cheap but very well made

futuro-reversible-splint-wrist-brace.jpg

the metal support is curved and follows the curve of the palm. Clever topological design to fit left or right and with a neat bit of CAD....took me a minute to get the left and right correct with folding inside out etc.

I can do near everything with them on

Doc says particularly important to wear at night

I might just try this... Then maybe see a doc..

Put off commuting on the bike for a while because I start to feel sharp pain on my left wrist about 10-15 mins into riding making it hard to use the clutch - thus resorting to a lot of clutchless shifting to reduce the amount of pain. The amount of time I need to ride with one hand to rotate my wrist to alleviate the pain makes for a more dangerous ride especially in traffic... >.>

Would be great if it fits well under a glove.

I'm not a doctor, but perhaps some exercises and stretching may help? My own routine includes dumbbell wrist curls (palm up, palm down) alternate days with wrist/forearm stretches (palm against wall, back-hand against wall, side-to-side).

A prophylactic measure against carpal tunnel?

Then again, I have mini-apes - not much stress riding, but no trouble with the clutch during stop'n'go, or the hours of keyboarding/mousework...

Everytime I hear the word SURGERY, it sends shiver straight down my spine. Gotta keep my health in check from now on.

Hope everything goes well with you MacDoc.

lol that's why they used the euphemism, "procedure" instead of surgery so they don't scare you. Because once you think of the word surgery you think of laying on your back with doctors slicing you open with sharp objects.

Last edited:
Want scary .....try "we're just going to do chemotherapy on your spine today".....:rolleyes:

was actually piece of cake ....

I might just try this... Then maybe see a doc..

Put off commuting on the bike for a while because I start to feel sharp pain on my left wrist about 10-15 mins into riding making it hard to use the clutch - thus resorting to a lot of clutchless shifting to reduce the amount of pain. The amount of time I need to ride with one hand to rotate my wrist to alleviate the pain makes for a more dangerous ride especially in traffic... >.>

Would be great if it fits well under a glove.

Take breaks more often at work. I have a recurring nerve entrapment issue. I am on the computer far too much (14 hrs/day on average) so I've put in a lot of effort to make sure I take a break every hour for at least 5 minutes (to stretch). The issues are mostly gone

Back
Top Bottom