Is the KLR a dual sport? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is the KLR a dual sport?

If that's a dig, well done. Casual observation? Again, well done. Pinpoint analysis? Home run. Do you have a youtube channel I could check out?

I do, it's in my sig. Feel free to go thumbs down everything.

I do, it's in my sig. Feel free to go thumbs down everything.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If it was worth filming I'm sure it's worth watching. I'm having my nieces over tonite, I'll put them on it:sleepy5:

OP, the main reasons why people love the KLR so much is that they are cheap and simple (easy to fix).

As long as it can handle the stuff like that shown in the video, im sold

Harder to find smaller and cheap dual sports for sale too

IMO there is nothing a klr can do that a dr650 cant do better. seat,shield and large tank (if you want) tours better. handguards and it offroads better. less sophisticated maintenance, less weight, less damage when it falls and more power
yes i have owned both

IMO there is nothing a klr can do that a dr650 cant do better. seat,shield and large tank (if you want) tours better. handguards and it offroads better. less sophisticated maintenance, less weight, less damage when it falls and more power
yes i have owned both

KLR650 has a presence the DR650 cannot match. It screams utility and pragmatism like nobodys' business. Seeing one come towards you on the road is a sure indicator that the pilot has been somewhere or going is someplace. No messing around. Just the facts.

I think this photo screams presence as well
14498681c86769e79efd7a03caec7ef7.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think this photo screams presence as well
14498681c86769e79efd7a03caec7ef7.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Looks like frolicking to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

You can take a KLR through that no problem.

You're high. Why ride a pig when you can ride a cat? Want comfort on the highway, get a KLR. Want agility off road, get something closer to a 250. KLX250, WR250, DRZ400. Closest things to a stock blue plated dirt bike without going for a straight up dirt bike like the ktm's.

You're high. Why ride a pig when you can ride a cat? Want comfort on the highway, get a KLR. Want agility off road, get something closer to a 250. KLX250, WR250, DRZ400. Closest things to a stock blue plated dirt bike without going for a straight up dirt bike like the ktm's.

How come no one mentions the CRF250L, XT250 when talking about small/capable dual sports?

If your working with a budget, and want a used dual sport, your options are fairly limited with the WR250 or the DRZ as there dont seem to be many on the used market :(

As long as it can handle the stuff like that shown in the video, im sold

Harder to find smaller and cheap dual sports for sale too

That is not the OP's question, he asked if the KLR can go through that stuff in the video. The answer is yes, but it will be slower than many of the smaller bikes.

How come no one mentions the CRF250L, XT250 when talking about small/capable dual sports?

Because very few people would recommend these 2 bikes over the WR250R, KLX250S or DRZ400S. Read reviews and opinions everywhere you will know why.

KLR has more trail/dirt bias than asphalt.

Most bikes have a niche for something they are best at. They might not be the best at it though.

The KLR is the grand daddy of duel sport and popular for a reason. Wouldn't want to iron butt it but, definitely fun on the roads less travelled.

Dual sport? Folks definition varies.

It's a good mule. Plenty of aftermarket, large following, lots of support. Gradual updates with basic design to keep things simple.

Can you run it on the street? Of course. With the right rubber and decent suspension set up, it's good too.

Friend has one. I enjoy it. Would own one. Limited space and significant other keeps the stable lean.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the ONLY bike I'd want to Iron butt on. I got my 06 KLR last fall and fell in love it over the summer. Me and 3 three others all on KLRs rode the TransTaiga this summer. The long travel suspension soaks up bumps and the riding position is as comfy as it gets. We did 600kms of gravel day after day. It gets about 50mpg unless you're pushing hard. And you can ride at 120kph for hours.
This is my 13th licensed bike and if I could have bought it first it might have been my only one. This bike is not great at anything but it will do EVERYTHING.
The only downside to the KLR is realizing that you can be having this much fun with this little power (35hp??)

Back
Top Bottom