Is the KLR a dual sport? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is the KLR a dual sport?

Neither is your cb500x or my versys but that never stopped us!

Love your new yamaha btw, that's a pretty sweet ride.
Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
I thought my CB500X was a dirt bike, so I ride it like one.

I love the new YZ250FX as did everyone else who rode it. Dave sold his 350 EXC and buying a YZ250X now.

So why not sell the hog?

i was thinking about it, but when you're the original owner it makes it hard to part with something. plus my son showed some interest in it. he is planning on taking a course next yr.

might be a hand me down

The KLR sucks at everything equally. Slow and heavy, with a garbage suspension. Want a dual sport, get a WR 450 or a KTM 690.

@lucky2

Well if you ever consider selling, shoot me a pm. Might be something I'd be in the market for.

Always nice to keep it in the family. But if you can't......lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought my CB500X was a dirt bike, so I ride it like one.

I love the new YZ250FX as did everyone else who rode it. Dave sold his 350 EXC and buying a YZ250X now.

Yamaha really hit the mark with the enduro enhancements on the FX. Compared to my old YZ250F, it's a nicer trail bike for sure. Can't wait to get my new smoker!

This is a serious diversion from the thread topic. haha

Keep hearing from different folks, some say KLR is a dual sport, some say its an adventure bike...so which is it?

If I wanted to be a 70/30 rider or 60/40 (road/dirt) would i be better off with the KLR or a traditional dual sport?

Muchas gracias
When you say dirt, do you mean gravel roads, unmaintained roads, doubletrack or singletrack?

The KLR sucks at everything equally. Slow and heavy, with a garbage suspension. Want a dual sport, get a WR 450 or a KTM 690.

in your sig, it say the 690 is an enduro. anyway iv'e always been told it's good at everything but the best at nothing.

The 690R is a dual sport, not an enduro.

Name of the bike. It happens to be slapped right on the side and on this green piece of paper I have to carry around.

With street oriented tires and some suspension tuning, it's more than solid enough on the road. Can take twisties well above HTA 172 territory, like double... on an 80 road.

With knobbies, it's really good offroad. Not excellent. Nothing over 300 lbs it's amazing offroad. The lighter the better.

Power is off the charts for an off road bike. That LC4 engine is superb. Torque is excellent, the front doesn't like staying on the ground...

My experience with the KLR was pretty sad. There's so many other bikes in the price range of a KLR (new) that are way better for whatever you want to do, whether it's on road, off road or both. It's super heavy, sluggish and the suspension is terrible on and off road.

A WR450 would be amazing as a multi purpose bike if you could find one blue plated. Triumph, KTM, Yamaha, BMW, Husqvarna, Beta and even Honda produce much better multi purpose machines than the Kawi. It comes down to personal preference and budget.

Have a serious look around and try out a ton of multi purpose bikes before you settle for the worst of the pack. KLR owners love their machine, but it's usually not the only bike in their stable.... For quite a few reasons. There's more smiles per gallon elsewhere. Mind you, parts are cheap.

Some people don't like honest opinions, and that's fine.

Last edited:
Sorry. The KLR is not a dirt bike. It is designed for people who like gravel roads only. That should get this thread going.

Sure it is. If you had to ride dirt and your only choices was any street bike or a KLR you would choose, if you had your wits about you, the KLR 10 times out of 10. It's really that simple.

Sorry. The KLR is not a dirt bike. It is designed for people who like gravel roads only. That should get this thread going.

Sure it is. If you had to ride dirt and your only choices was any street bike or a KLR you would choose, if you had your wits about you, the KLR 10 times out of 10. It's really that simple.

Must be serious to have to type it twice. ?

Seriousness is always implied. Second typing to erase any doubt.

So that's the key to getting up to 11,000+ posts.

If that's a dig, well done. Casual observation? Again, well done. Pinpoint analysis? Home run. Do you have a youtube channel I could check out?

OP, the main reasons why people love the KLR so much is that they are cheap and simple (easy to fix).

Back
Top Bottom