Is the KLR a dual sport? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is the KLR a dual sport?

Personally, if it was a choice between a KLR650 and a DR650, I'd go with the DR... but I wouldn't mind a KLR, especially the older generation (pre 2008). I love bikes that you can get for cheap ($3k or less), beat the hell out of, not care about at all, no one will steal them, easy to maintain.

I'd buy that $1300 KLR posted above, tie a sleeping bag and tent to it, and go on a one-way mission to Alaska. If it broke down/got buried in a mud bog, or whatever, just leave it and fly home. That way you are only out the purchase price. Get a serious break-down in a remote area with a valuable KTM/BMW/ or whatever, and you'll be paying more than $1300 recovering it or having parts express shipped to you while you wait in an expensive hotel room for them to arrive.

I actually did a similar thing on a Honda... I bought a Honda Tiger 2000 in Jakarta for $600. It had 160000km on it... I rode it all around Java, up volcanos, over to the beach resorts, etc, all the way to Bali. On my way back to Jakarta the bike broke down and it was a serious issue (engine was toast), so I left the bike, caught a bus to a city with an airport and flew back to Jakarta. I'm sure someone made good use of the remaining parts after a few days of the bike sitting on the side of the road.

Personally, if it was a choice between a KLR650 and a DR650, I'd go with the DR... but I wouldn't mind a KLR, especially the older generation (pre 2008). I love bikes that you can get for cheap ($3k or less), beat the hell out of, not care about at all, no one will steal them, easy to maintain.

I'd buy that $1300 KLR posted above, tie a sleeping bag and tent to it, and go on a one-way mission to Alaska. If it broke down/got buried in a mud bog, or whatever, just leave it and fly home. That way you are only out the purchase price. Get a serious break-down in a remote area with a valuable KTM/BMW/ or whatever, and you'll be paying more than $1300 recovering it or having parts express shipped to you while you wait in an expensive hotel room for them to arrive.

I actually did a similar thing on a Honda... I bought a Honda Tiger 2000 in Jakarta for $600. It had 160000km on it... I rode it all around Java, up volcanos, over to the beach resorts, etc, all the way to Bali. On my way back to Jakarta the bike broke down and it was a serious issue (engine was toast), so I left the bike, caught a bus to a city with an airport and flew back to Jakarta. I'm sure someone made good use of the remaining parts after a few days of the bike sitting on the side of the road.

Shame if it had been properly maintained even a little, that bike would have probably made it back to jakarta

Shame if it had been properly maintained even a little, that bike would have probably made it back to jakarta

It was maintained... mechanics were dirt cheap in Indonesia (around $2 for an oil change at Honda), I think I just rode it too hard for a little 200cc engine. If I was willing to wait and find someone to do it, I likely could have gotten the bike fixed for very cheap. It didn't matter much to me... only $600 for the bike and I put 20000 or 30000km on it.

We laugh at them now but people need to remember that once bikes like the DR650 and KLR650 go out of production they're never coming back. The krauts built millions of air cooled Beetles. Where are they now? Well, there's a HUGE aftermarket, clubs and owners associations to serve the a/c Beetle. These bikes are special. So is the BMW airhead. But that's another world altogether.

Whenever Suzuki announces the discontinuation of the DR650, I might have to go and buy a brand new one off the showroom floor... hang onto it and use it sparingly until my other Suzukis are worn out.

You are right though... with ever increasing emission standards around the world, it won't be long before the big bore carb'd thumper will be extinct, and along with it will be bikes that are simple.

We laugh at them now but people need to remember that once bikes like the DR650 and KLR650 go out of production they're never coming back. The krauts built millions of air cooled Beetles. Where are they now? Well, there's a HUGE aftermarket, clubs and owners associations to serve the a/c Beetle. These bikes are special. So is the BMW airhead. But that's another world altogether.

Whenever Suzuki announces the discontinuation of the DR650, I might have to go and buy a brand new one off the showroom floor... hang onto it and use it sparingly until my other Suzukis are worn out.

You are right though... with ever increasing emission standards around the world, it won't be long before the big bore carb'd thumper will be extinct, and along with it will be bikes that are simple.

Jesus, along with the cbr600rr go the DR and KLR....

Back
Top Bottom