Is the KLR a dual sport? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is the KLR a dual sport?

bigpoppa

Keep hearing from different folks, some say KLR is a dual sport, some say its an adventure bike...so which is it?

If I wanted to be a 70/30 rider or 60/40 (road/dirt) would i be better off with the KLR or a traditional dual sport?

Muchas gracias

Dual Sport = Dirt bike with lighting and signals.

ADV = Street bike with dirt bike elements (clearance height, all-terrain tires, better suspension)

KLR is a dual sport, however because if it's height and weight some people will be hesitant to do anything too crazy. An example of ADVs would be the V-Strom or BMW F series.

Last edited:
Single track forget it....open fire and gravel roads and a good rider have fun and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

KLR650 is a gravel roader/street bike, no more no less.

What's the point of an ADV bike then? Even a sport bike will handle gravel fine? Then again, I've ridden both of my sport bikes through fields and that was fine, too. Little bit bumpy I guess.

I can't tell if you're serious or trolling. So many people do things on bikes that they weren't meant to do...

I can't tell if you're serious or trolling. So many people do things on bikes that they weren't meant to do...
I always assumed those bikes were for actual offroading. If I can take a sports car down it, it's nowhere near offroading. Gravel roads are just normal roads to me. I mean, I try to avoid them due to lower traction but they're not really a big deal.

Then again, I grew up in the country and every third road is gravel.

KLR has more trail/dirt bias than asphalt.

Most bikes have a niche for something they are best at. They might not be the best at it though.

The KLR is the grand daddy of duel sport and popular for a reason. Wouldn't want to iron butt it but, definitely fun on the roads less travelled.

Dual sport? Folks definition varies.

It's a good mule. Plenty of aftermarket, large following, lots of support. Gradual updates with basic design to keep things simple.

Can you run it on the street? Of course. With the right rubber and decent suspension set up, it's good too.

Friend has one. I enjoy it. Would own one. Limited space and significant other keeps the stable lean.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always assumed those bikes were for actual offroading. If I can take a sports car down it, it's nowhere near offroading. Gravel roads are just normal roads to me. I mean, I try to avoid them due to lower traction but they're not really a big deal.

We saw a smart car in the middle of Ganaraska last weekend... he was driving through sand whoops. LOL...

Then again, I grew up in the country and every third road is gravel.

Yeah, me too.

Keep hearing from different folks, some say KLR is a dual sport, some say its an adventure bike...so which is it?

If I wanted to be a 70/30 rider or 60/40 (road/dirt) would i be better off with the KLR or a traditional dual sport?

Muchas gracias

KLR comes from the factory with dual sport tires. Badminton is one sport. Tomato is a fruit. The new gender pronouns I'm not so sure about.

Buy it. Ride it whichever way you like. Who cares what others say.

WHOA, WHOA WHOA!!!!!!! Slow down there sport.
This is the internet you know; where validation (or ridicule) is just a click away for every thought, notion, opinion or half*** idea.

What you're proposing could lead to nothing more than an exchange of intelligent discourse and the sharing of information, which could lead to the end of group-think altogether.
Then were would we be?

To the OP, the KLR from the factory is a 50/50 bike. It can do whatever you want but it's not particularly great at anything, therefore it is a dual sport.

The strength of the KLR is that it is very easy to customize it to suit your riding style.

Wanna go off road (actual off road, not just dirt roads), slap on a bash plate, some crash guards, knobbies and maybe upgrade the suspension and delete a few things to save weight and it'll go most anywhere a true dirt bike will go. As in most things, the limiting factor is the skill of the user, not the design of the tool.

Mine is set up for touring and the nice neutral riding position is great for long distance. I have road biased dual sport tires, a nice comfy seat cushion, side cases and a big adjustable windscreen. 700km days are no problem.

That's the thing ... one man's meat another man's poision ... In another words, I very much rather do 70km a day at Ganny on a light proper enduro/dirt bike ... rather than 700km dual sporting on pavement and fire roads on a trusty KLR.

It really depends what kind of a guy you are. If KLR rider saw me buzzing on a road ... he would think "ouch" ... if I saw KLR at Ganny, my back would hurt just trying to visualize the bike through the sand and trying to pick it up.

i own a 2011 klr, bought it new, also own a 2005 flhtc harley. also bought new. i have not touched the harley since i bought the klr.

it's just and awesome bike to ride, real easy to handle

WHOA, WHOA WHOA!!!!!!! Slow down there sport.
This is the internet you know; where validation (or ridicule) is just a click away for every thought, notion, opinion or half*** idea.

What you're proposing could lead to nothing more than an exchange of intelligent discourse and the sharing of information, which could lead to the end of group-think altogether.
Then were would we be?
Sorry. The KLR is not a dirt bike. It is designed for people who like gravel roads only. That should get this thread going.

Sorry. The KLR is not a dirt bike. It is designed for people who like gravel roads only. That should get this thread going.
Neither is your cb500x or my versys but that never stopped us!

Love your new yamaha btw, that's a pretty sweet ride.
Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

i own a 2011 klr, bought it new, also own a 2005 flhtc harley. also bought new. i have not touched the harley since i bought the klr.

it's just and awesome bike to ride, real easy to handle

So why not sell the hog?

Back
Top Bottom