Cold Weather Bad for Motorcycle Engine? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cold Weather Bad for Motorcycle Engine?

The engine temp issue for snowmobiles is keeping them cool, not getting them warmer. They have no problem heating up, and having the oil at proper running temps. Probably due to being enclosed in tight quarters, unlike a motorcycle engine that's not as well insulated. Plus, they'll run 0 weight oils. I don't think any motorcycle engine is rated for o weight oils.

They still cool just as fast as any other engine. Come to think about it, how do cars not snap valves constantly all winter?

They still cool just as fast as any other engine. Come to think about it, how do cars not snap valves constantly all winter?

Don't go and throw logic into a conversation that went totally illogical in the last page or two! :lmao:

Valve stem snapping? Seriously?

If I was the OP I suspect I would ignore much of what you said above based on the valve stem comment.

In recent history I have ridden in temperatures down to about -20 with no ill effects, and way back when I was a teenager I rode my 1969 Norton 750 Commando about 100 miles/160 km in temperatures that were well below 0 °f, below -20 °c. No valves snapped, no running issues any more than it would normally have. I also didn't have any motorcycle gear apart from a 3/4 helmet and a Leather Jacket. Heavy mitts, layers of whatever clothes I have around the house, plastic garbage bags held with elastics over my jeans. I was very cold. It was very stupid. (Was going to see a girl.)

..Tom

Although mine goes away when the drops drop below 7-10c largely for enjoyment and safety reasons, I can't see it damaging a modern motorcycle engine either. The way these things are built today, if a car engine would survive, then a bike should as well.

That said, I could potentially see someone causing engine damage or thermal shock if they picked a -40c day, and decided to pin the bike to the redline/rev-limiter 5-10 seconds after starting the engine....granted anyone would have to be a total idiot to do that. Under normal operation and letting the engine warm up a little I agree it should be fine.

The engine temp issue for snowmobiles is keeping them cool, not getting them warmer. They have no problem heating up, and having the oil at proper running temps. Probably due to being enclosed in tight quarters, unlike a motorcycle engine that's not as well insulated. Plus, they'll run 0 weight oils. I don't think any motorcycle engine is rated for o weight oils.
Just checked the user manual for Ninja 650R (bike I used to have). It specifies what oil to use down to -10°C.

KOD0Mss.png

Last edited:
That said, I could potentially see someone causing engine damage or thermal shock if they picked a -40c day, and decided to pin the bike to the redline/rev-limiter 5-10 seconds after starting the engine....granted anyone would have to be a total idiot to do that. Under normal operation and letting the engine warm up a little I agree it should be fine.
That would damage an engine on a warm day, too, I think.

Take your water cooled bike out for an hour long ride in zero temps. Keep an eye on the water temp gauge, assuming you have one. Chances are you will see temps below the warm up temps you had when you started riding, EG started riding when the coolant temp was 65, and then see 59 on the gauge after riding for an hour.

i have had three water cooled bikes since 2006. I put 202,000 km on my 2006 until I parked it in 2012. I put 139,500 km on my 2012 and on my new 2015 that I bought the end of last July I have 67,000 km. All have been riding in temperatures down to the -15 ballpark. All were daily riders. On all three the water temperature gauge read the same once riding for about 5 minutes down to the -10 range or thereabouts. The 2006 dropped one bar when it was in then-15 range.

All read much higher when riding compared to what they read when started up.

..Tom

I find this all very funny. Will cold weather riding affect your motorcycle. The answer is who cares...it will likely outlast your desire for it no matter what you do (assuming basic care). Use it however you want and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom