Full face helmets and beards | GTAMotorcycle.com

Full face helmets and beards

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
So as I grow out my hipster beard for the first time, I'm not sure how comfortable this is going to feel rubbing on the inside of my full face helmet.

How do you hairy riders deal with it? Any mysterious motorcycle beard lotions?

2015/16 were the first two seasons where I kept a proper beard all summer. Usually its been shaved or short stubble...you get used to it after a while, at most you have to run you hand over it and smooth it out after you take off your helmet. If you want keep a little pocket comb on you. I use Murray's pomade on my hair, its an old school barber shop product from 1925 that's still made without a bunch of chemicals and doesn't harden your hair making it flaky or crunchy so its easily re-styled. After I run it through my hair I use what's left on my hands to pat down the beard. It stays awesome all day...

Here's a picture after 9 rd's of sparring so nearly a half hour, I'm sure I took a few shots to the face and look like I just got out of a pool but the beard is still nice and presentable

14237733_10154048487744403_3623893972331849517_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hipsters don't wear FF. 3/4...

Are you trading for a Sportster or the new Triumph Bobber?

Really depends on your beard and your helmet.
I keep mine relatively close trimmed and don't have an issue with it at all.

As for LoneRonin's advice, I can't say much about it. All I know is whenever I sparred or got sweaty (hockey, track days or whatever), and product in my hair tended to make my eyes sting. Sure, beard applications shouldn't get in your eyes at all, except when removing a full face helmet... something to think and or experiment with.

If you've got the full lumberjack beard, maybe a modular helmet might be the best option for you.
And, thank God you've decided to ditch the hipster beard. Almost (*ALMOST*) as bad as a man-bun. Damn I think those are ridiculous.

As for LoneRonin's advice, I can't say much about it. All I know is whenever I sparred or got sweaty (hockey, track days or whatever), and product in my hair tended to make my eyes sting. Sure, beard applications shouldn't get in your eyes at all, except when removing a full face helmet... something to think and or experiment with.

That's what's great about the Murray's suff. It doesn't run at all or get sticky like most of the commercial brand crap you get off the shelf. It pretty much like a vaseline for your hair so its not water soluble mixing with your sweat and running down your face.

I've got a beard that extends a fair distance down from my helmet (1.5/yrs or so since I last trimmed it). Never really had a problem with putting it on or taking it off. It pulls at the hair a little, but it doesnt hurt; just need to take a comb/brush to reshape it. The only real problem I have is wind pushing it backwards, parting at my neck, and then making some weird shape that takes a bit of time to brush back into place. Or the hair getting caught in my jacket zipper...

I've had a beard since I started riding and it's never been an issue. I guess if you've spent most of your life clean shaven then you will have to get used to it, but its more that you'll have to get used to having a beard in all situations, wearing a helmet just being one of them. Be prepared for other men to start looking to you for advice, specifically around cutting down trees and how to pick up women. Also, be prepared for women to suddenly become attracted to you. Beards are a powerful aphrodisiac!

A few years back I grew my neat and tidy beard out so long that it hung out the bottom of my helmet! At that point it started to be an issue as it would sometimes bunch up when I put the helmet on. But up until that point, I've never had a problem with it. When I eventually shaved it all off and was clean shaven for the first time in over ten years, I couldn't stand how cold my face was all the time, especially while riding.

Earlier this year I had a longer beard (about 3-4 months worth) and the only issue I had was that sometimes the hair would get stuck under the strap and son of a ***** did it hurt when the hairs got pulled out during a head movement in the wrong direction...outside of that no issue.

I have a short beard (#1 trimmer) and I find it better than scruff/stubble. Went clean shaven at the start of last season and stubble it acted like Velcro trying to take off my helmet

I have a pretty decently sized beard, and I've noticed that after taking the helmet off, everything has been flattened down, with the sides being crimped in.
Run my hands through it a couple times, and it puffs back up pretty nicely. Fits fine in the helmet, but I notice a lot of fogging up from breathing into my moustache and my breathe going no where but on the visor.
I need to look into a fogless visor, or some sort of breath deflector.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Me.jpg
    Me.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 172
^^You're getting pretty close to the Ragnar look. I've only been growing this thing for 5 weeks, but it seems I grow a thick beard and I think the wife is secretly impressed.

I'm not sure how long it will go on for, but it would be neat to grow it til spring to keep my chin and face warm. I have a pretty sweet 3/4 helmet, but I wear the full face, because I don't like the lack of protection.
Loneronin: Maybe I'll try that Murrays stuff out. Where did you get it from?

Nothing more to add that hasn't been said. No real problem, the worst part is as Newfiezedder said; stubble = velcro.

Nice beards my brethren!

11313416_796120117152822_421375903_n.jpg

^^You're getting pretty close to the Ragnar look. I've only been growing this thing for 5 weeks, but it seems I grow a thick beard and I think the wife is secretly impressed.

I'm not sure how long it will go on for, but it would be neat to grow it til spring to keep my chin and face warm. I have a pretty sweet 3/4 helmet, but I wear the full face, because I don't like the lack of protection.

That was the inspiration behind the look :)

Shoppers always has some, its in an old school looking orange tin. Its a little bit off to the side down the aisle, not where all your mainstream products are.

One word, balaclava! I was full on Rock Star/Lumber Jack back in the day. Always wore, ( still wear) an under helmet balaclava to keep everything in place. Nothing worse than combing out wind whipped tangles. Plus, it help keeps your helmet’s interior clean and fresh.

Back in the day.

AM65.jpg

Last edited:
Hey there! It is you know kind of difficult to manage your beard while wearing an full face helmet. But, it will be easy for you, if you just reshape it with a help of comb or a beard brush before wearing an helmet. While choosing an helmet, make sure you try it for 15-20 minutes as it will help you determine for any spots which can cause you discomfort. Also, due to scruffy and unkempt beard can cause a lot of problems, so just dab some beard wax onto it and beard hair will remain that way. You can also take help of cheek pads that will loosen up the strain caused due to wearing an full face helmets. I hope this helps you.

Back
Top Bottom