Who's still riding? (Fall 2016 / Winter 2017 edition) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall 2016 / Winter 2017 edition)

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Well, it was 11 months ago that last winters "Who's still riding" thread was started, but the weather was still nicer last year on November 27'th than we're getting in late October this year. The thread was interesting through, surviving all winter, 40 pages, all the way to late March when the MC season was actually already starting to get in gear again. Lots of us never actually even put our bikes away short of a few weeks here and there and logged hundreds if not thousands of K between November/December and April. It's not looking like we are going to be given a repeat this winter unfortunately.

So, I thought I'd start a new thread for this fall/winter. Who's still riding?

We were out last weekend - not bad, but still a bit chilly. Did a fall colours ride up to Haliburton and south around Algonquin the weekend before that and we froze our butts off for the entire 14 hours we were out. Been commuting on the bike the last 3 days, drizzly on Monday, Yesterday was decent, but the -1 when I left for work this morning wasn't super pleasant despite the nice sunrise...but any ride is a good ride.

This weekend isn't looking like much of a prospect - warmer on Saturday but windy with a risk of rain, and cold again Sunday.

Tuesday is looking good though. I feel a bit of a headache coming on maybe. ;)

Last edited:
I'm in the Kawarthas watching contractors build our new deck. Tomorrow we're expecting 5+ cm of snow, but next week looks pretty good for at least one more ride up and down highways 507 & 3. Bike lives at cottage, but winters in Mississauga so I have to decide how long to ride here and still be able to ferry the ST home for the winter, heated gear (jacket, gloves and socks) does help with the low temps.

ReSTored;2457305T said:
omorrow we're expecting 5+ cm of snow

Yeah, by the end of 2015 last year Toronto had received only 0.8CM of snow, probably not much more up your way either.

Not thinking we're in for a repeat at this point.

Last edited:
Just finishing replacing the cam chain on my Honda, plus a few other upgrades. Will be back on the road in a week. Have no intentions of putting it away for good. Gonna ride when the streets are dry. The HD however, goes under the blankie next week until April.

Never done, but it's damn cold out there. Bike is ready to roll for when the temps are more comfy.

The cold's never bothered me... anyway.

As long as theres no snow or ice (rainfall with freezing temperatures overnight) I'll ride. Just be sure to check the weather/radars to make sure theres no snow/wont be any snow while you're out and you'll be golden.

Sabex your insane....

Mid Feb ...figure I'm the only one heading to the Forks.....up turns Sabex.

I want to get some serious KMs in in Nov. Sucky year for riding...mid 70s in WV when I get home next week

It's snowing right now in Oshawa / Whitby. And not just a few flakes, either - steady snow enough that I needed my wipers on.

It's melting as soon as it hits the road. Hopefully the trigger happy salt trucks don't overreact.

Think I'm getting old and my tolerance / patience for cold is getting lower! LoL Haven't brought the bike out all week as I leave at 5am and too cold for me :( Hopefully afternoon shift next week so I'll ride in.

Sabex your insane....

Mid Feb ...figure I'm the only one heading to the Forks.....up turns Sabex.

I want to get some serious KMs in in Nov. Sucky year for riding...mid 70s in WV when I get home next week

I remember that day. Bloody cold day... and soakin' wet without any raingear. At least the hot chocolate was good.

I'll continue to commute until the threat of black ice exists, or snow falls. I've got good gear and was quite comfy at -3 here on Tuesday morning.

Forecast high of 14 C on Saturday.
It may be my final ride of the year.

While I enjoyed it greatly, it should be kept in mind that the winter of 2015/16 was an anomaly.
20C on Christmas Eve doesn't happen very often.

Last edited:
Today is just another day on the scoot. I'm back into the plug-in routine, so it's actually quicker to warm up than my car. Consistent minus temps and snow will be needed to end the season.

Yeah you got all that weather protection ...miss my Burgman this time of year

ScreenShot2013-01-12atJan12201312028PM.jpg

Yup still riding/commuting on my bike. This past Saturday was the first day in several months I drove to work, but that was only because I had to take a work vehicle home for a wedding I was going to. Today was the second day I didn't ride because of the freezing rain that covered our driveway. I don't like riding in freezing rain.

..Tom

I'm still riding until the snow falls here in downtown Toronto

I'm in with this.... Either snow falls or they salt the streets, whichever comes first!
Having said that, does anyone know when do they salt the streets in downtown Toronto/GTA area?

Back
Top Bottom