Who's still riding? (Fall 2016 / Winter 2017 edition) | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall 2016 / Winter 2017 edition)

March is a bit optimistic for this winter no? I hear its gonna be brutal

Probably, but I'll start getting the bike up in shape in March. So, stuff like putting the battery back, cleaning it again. I have sprayed anti rust on all screws and below the bike. I accidentally also sprayed the brake area (NoOOoOO), and the side of the tires while spraying it on rims ( :( ). I wiped it with a cloth but I'd need to wash it properly before I hit the street in April.
In no ways its a job more than an afternoon worth. It will simply be mentally satisfying when I do that in the 2nd/3rd week in March. :)

Once we are officially in spring (I think it usually falls around March 20th or 21st), I'll normally put the battery back on the tender for a top up, and if winter looks like it might be ending soon I'll throw it back in the bike, adjust the tire pressure, etc.

That said, I only get grouchy if we pass the middle of April and there is still white stuff either on the ground or in the forecast.

Probably, but I'll start getting the bike up in shape in March. So, stuff like putting the battery back, cleaning it again. I have sprayed anti rust on all screws and below the bike. I accidentally also sprayed the brake area (NoOOoOO), and the side of the tires while spraying it on rims ( :( ). I wiped it with a cloth but I'd need to wash it properly before I hit the street in April.
In no ways its a job more than an afternoon worth. It will simply be mentally satisfying when I do that in the 2nd/3rd week in March. :)

Oh boy

Why do you guys take the battery out of the bike? It should be ok to just hook it up to the tender and leave it in the bike no?(In the garage)

Also if you take the bike out long before they started putting any salt on the ground, do you really have to spray the bike with anti rust??

Oh boy

Why do you guys take the battery out of the bike? It should be ok to just hook it up to the tender and leave it in the bike no?(In the garage)

Also if you take the bike out long before they started putting any salt on the ground, do you really have to spray the bike with anti rust??

I take my battery out... but only because I live in a building so no plugs underground.... I have to bring it upstairs to keep on the tender... If I lived in a house with a garage then yeah I would leave the battery in the bike on a tender.

I live in a downtown condo and the bike is parked in an underground parking lot with no electric supply. :(
If I lived in a house with a garage (or even if my condo had a power supply), I would not take the battery out.

Regarding anti rust, my rational was - The temperature is 10 degrees higher than the surroundings in the parking (yes, I have measured with a thermometer), and there will be moisture around so better spray the anti rust on the metal parts. Better safe than sorry. I'd just need to wash it during spring before I take the bike out.

I saw someone out on a BMW adventure bike in Mississauga today.

Motivated by that, I hopped on my cbr125 for a trip to the forks for a coffee. From what the forecast looks like, that's probably it for the next couple of weeks minimum.

Took a gingerly ride to the next town over. Running rear tire on front rotating as if rear mounted, not reverse. All is well so far. It was coolish out.

i see electric, sidewalk, road whatever.. including ss riders every day ..so far

the 'new' electric sidewalk - road folks make all other 2 wheeled winter yappers look like fools lol

Last edited:
I thought about going out a few evenings ago but the municipality laid down so much bloody rock salt on our street the night we had the dusting of snow a while back that it's like marbles out there.

Fresh brine everywhere through Oshawa/Bowmanville this evening as well. I guess they're getting ready for the 5CM called for on Sunday.

Nice brisk ride in this morning and good clear roads with no standing water or salt - a couple snowflakes falling but forecast said it should be pretty clear. Hope so!

Nice brisk ride in this morning and good clear roads with no standing water or salt - a couple snowflakes falling but forecast said it should be pretty clear. Hope so!

Snow squall warning for my home area plus snow streamers coming in. My roads were icey but loads of slat on them. Didn't ride today.

Tom

Rode in this morning - a few snowflakes and a bit of a chill in the legs- time to add another layer to my gear, I guess. Might have to head home a bit early to avoid flurries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Negative temperatures with wet roads from the melting-on-impact snow yesterday/last night? Might just have to sit today out. Sun'll be out later today, tomorrow should be good.

Yeah no way I'd ride today, looking at the forecast I am done for some time as well. I think I need a beater bike that I can get salty and not care about. I stuck some fuel preserve in the tank on the ride home just in case this forecast keeps up. Was out at Square One with the lady last night and the unsalted roads surrounding the mall were a complete skating rink. Hard to start / stop when going 10kph.

Back
Top Bottom