Simcoe county forest or Ganny? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Simcoe county forest or Ganny?

deckard

Which of these two riding spots offers great singletrack?
Is one better than the other?
Does Simcoe forest offer a 1 day pass like Ganny?
If yes where do you pay?
Any other good legal spots near the Burlington area?
I am willing to drive 1.5-2hrs from Burlington in any direction even New York

Looking to ride this saturday oct.29 2016

SCORRA is a $30 annual (calendar year) membership. No day passes that I'm aware of. Ganny is $30 for a day. At the end of the season if you want to get out once I'd just say go to Ganny. They have tonnes of good single track. SCORRA has a lot of good stuff but it's all very disconnected and each spot is tiny compared to Ganny.

Exactly what doozerdave said....
Simcoe has great tracts/trails but they are smaller parcels of land with a main trail.
The Ganny is so big that I constantly get lost riding single track. The singletrack varies between west (rocks, roots, leaves, tight) and east (pine trees, sand, flowing).
I drive from Oakville and find the drive time is similar between Simcoe and Ganny.
The Ganny requires day pass plus plate (green or blue) and insurance.

thanks everyone
SCORRA is asking for around $73 for access to the forest on OFTR website
may just head to Ganny cause its late in the season and I am a cheapskate
Ganny is open till Dec. 1
Simcoe not sure, unable to find it on the website

SCORRA requires OFTR, so at the beginning of the season it's 98$ I believe. Since late Octobe SCORRA discounts theirs portion so the total drops to 73$. There's no firm date as far as when trails close. It depends on the weather and particular trail/tract I believe.

Oh, sorry, I thought you could get a stand-alone SCORRA membership without OFTR.

Also note that Ganny annual pass is a full year, not calendar year like OFTR/SCORRA. So if you buy a Ganny annual pass right now it will be good until next October, so it might be worth doing if you know you'll go at least 5 times next year.

Also note that Ganny annual pass is a full year, not calendar year like OFTR/SCORRA. So if you buy a Ganny annual pass right now it will be good until next October, so it might be worth doing if you know you'll go at least 5 times next year.

Oh really? ... somehow I was told that it is a calendar year, not 365 days from purchase .... crap, oh well, I supported them well this year .. .LOL .. I should really have asked at the gas station, instead of trusting buddy of mine.

I was trying to plead the case with SCORRA for the same concept, but their reasons are that it's too administratively heavy for them, calendar year concept is much easier. I am not sure why, because it is not for the government (perhaps OFTR's involvement in SCORRA's membership complicates things for them). Is the Ganny pass just with a hand written date of expiry? ... not like the date is kept somewhere in the computer? Or is it a computer printout card type?

You receive a plastic card (credit card with date code) that you are expected to carry and a parking sticker (not sure if it is needed or not).

I don't mind paying for the annual memberships for both. It's good to support the few places we can ride. The cost of Ganny, OFTR and SCORRA combined is less than the cost of one Calabogie track day, so the value is ridiculous.

I agree on supporting both.
I have annual memberships to both but have only managed to ride Simcoe once this year to check out the new Wildman Tract.
We need to support the areas or we risk losing them.
I do most of my regular riding at Steel City Riders club track and trail.
Going to the Ganny or Simcoe is a treat as the drive home is usually long...but all rides are good rides!

I don't mind paying for the annual memberships for both. It's good to support the few places we can ride. The cost of Ganny, OFTR and SCORRA combined is less than the cost of one Calabogie track day, so the value is ridiculous.

No doubt about that.

I pay for both as well. The do a pretty damn good job with clearing the trails each year.

Thanks to everyone who replied.
One more question / request.
Where would I find GPS maps of the trails?
Trailforks has it but its for mountain bikes

For Ganny? I've never found maps... There must be lots of people out there who have them mapped out but I've never come across a GPX file (or whatever) for Ganny. I started mapping it out myself this year. It's fun getting lost. Just save the parking lot on your GPS, and go ride. :)

I rode some Wildman and Hendrie Tract this year. I prefer the Ganny over Simcoe. I think a big part for me is that the Ganny is 90 to 100 minutes away where as Simcoe trails can be further like 110 minutes.

We just rode Ganny again today, and it's just so good, varied and huge. I haven't ridden much of SCORRA but so far Ganny wins for me. I'd like to check out Horseshoe though, it's supposed to be really good.

There's a variance between Simcoe and Ganny ... plus I like going from one tract to another ... the variance makes it fun. I would not want to go just to Ganny all the time.

There's a variance between Simcoe and Ganny ... plus I like going from one tract to another ... the variance makes it fun. I would not want to go just to Ganny all the time.

I haven't found any tracts in Simcoe that I would consider are as good as the Ganny. Is there any decent Hills or up and down terrain in any of the Simcoe tracts?

Also Simcoe benefits from Blue plated machines much more than the Ganny does.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the northumberland forest. Tons of trails.. never a dull moment.

Back
Top Bottom