Reasonably Priced Offroad Thread | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reasonably Priced Offroad Thread

Thanks for the input so far. I should mention my last trail bike was a 91 CR500 fully race kitted and I adored that bike. Handled tight single track great and better than the CR125 I had before it. If a 450 4t is worse than that i'll understand but that's a question I have.
I was at Honda yesterday and the rep said the 450r when ridden hard is scheduled for maintenance every 10hrs whereas the 450x is no where near that.
Still waiting to see some good deals posted up :)

Thanks for the input so far. I should mention my last trail bike was a 91 CR500 fully race kitted and I adored that bike. Handled tight single track great and better than the CR125 I had before it. If a 450 4t is worse than that i'll understand but that's a question I have.
I was at Honda yesterday and the rep said the 450r when ridden hard is scheduled for maintenance every 10hrs whereas the 450x is no where near that.
Still waiting to see some good deals posted up :)

Isn't the 450x nowhere near the 450r in every way? Totally blah vs totally braaap? Going from a CR500 you should probably get a KTM 300XCW.

Last edited:
No one mentioned the XR? My xr400r keeps up to any modern mx bike in the woods single track....change oil and let it rip...great reliable machine for the weekend warrior!....plus its kinda funny seeing the old tank tow a $10 grand + ktm out of the woods cause it got its cheesy flimsy rad busted in half after one spill!!

P.S. cr500 back in the day...phenomenal machine!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Isn't the 450x nowhere near the 450r in every way? Totally blah vs totally braaap? Going from a CR500 you should probably get a KTM 300XCW.
Only difference is cam and gear ratios as far as the engine.

Get a KTM, Husaberg or Husky 2stroke 250 or 300 woods bike if you want if for riding in the woods you can pick up a 12 or newer for a very good price and will have a much better bike than a mx bike for the woods.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
What's it like finding parts for a Husaberg or Gas Gas?

I've got dealers for Yamaha, Honda, and KTM next door.

No one mentioned the XR? My xr400r keeps up to any modern mx bike in the woods single track....change oil and let it rip...great reliable machine for the weekend warrior!....plus its kinda funny seeing the old tank tow a $10 grand + ktm out of the woods cause it got its cheesy flimsy rad busted in half after one spill!!

P.S. cr500 back in the day...phenomenal machine!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

That sounds like a challenge to me!!! LOL... in all seriousness those xr400's were nice little bikes back in the day but I would rather be riding any modern KTM 2 stroke in the woods.

Are there any decent off road bikes that are highway capable and have passenger pegs? Been daydreaming of a second bike but I need it to be able to go on the highway and all these lightweight things I hear have really flimsy rear subframes and can't handle a passenger, even if you add pegs (which is also of questionable legality).

Are there any decent off road bikes that are highway capable and have passenger pegs? Been daydreaming of a second bike but I need it to be able to go on the highway and all these lightweight things I hear have really flimsy rear subframes and can't handle a passenger, even if you add pegs (which is also of questionable legality).

With what you just described, I would say the KTM 690 Enduro is probably the best bike for that. It would be a pig in really rough off road conditions though. If I owned a 690 Enduro I feel like I could do the 160km commute from Burlington to the Ganny. Once at the Ganny I'd probably ride for like an hour on the double track maybe some of the much easier single track and be sick of it / tired from riding such a heavy bike. There just isn't a perfect solution. Off road only bikes are sooooooooo nice in the tight stuff.

With what you just described, I would say the KTM 690 Enduro is probably the best bike for that. It would be a pig in really rough off road conditions though. If I owned a 690 Enduro I feel like I could do the 160km commute from Burlington to the Ganny. Once at the Ganny I'd probably ride for like an hour on the double track maybe some of the much easier single track and be sick of it / tired from riding such a heavy bike. There just isn't a perfect solution. Off road only bikes are sooooooooo nice in the tight stuff.
Thanks for the response. Was hoping for something a bit smaller.

A friend of mine just bought one a month ago .... 450X ... I haven't ridden 450R, but the X had gobbles more power than my Husa FE390. I mean a world of diiference.

it's his first real dirt bike (last time he rode DRZ400 about ten years ago ...). When I gave him the bike back (I was setting the ridiculously lean set up, so it's actually ride able). I told him ... "you will be in heaps of trouble, LOL". That thing just wants to power wheelie in first three gears and it's pretty light too ... I just thinks for someone who is getting into trail riding is not really the best bike. It's just too agressive, and throttle sensitive etc. .... I am pretty sure he will be ordering some heavier flywheel to tame the beast down, for twisty trails or single track. He will live on the clutch that's for sure ...

A guy hooked up once with us on the 690 Enduro at the Ganny .... I felt sorry for him. It didn't help that his tires were shot, but the machine is just too big & heavy .... until a guy with KLR showed up later. It looked light after that ... LOL ..... anyway what you have said. There's no one perfect solution ...

Nearly impossible to find a decent 2-stroke 250 that's priced appropriately.

Found a solid 4-stroke with low hrs and maintenance records. Plated in the photo and states has ownership. On the day I'm headed out to see it I call and reconfirm he has the ownership. "Well I have a photocopy of the ownership......in the previous owners name". Geez

Well my DR200SE (which I'd be willing to sell) has rear pegs, however considering it's a light 200 (about 250lbs) I question how highway capable it would be 2up. Even alone on the 401 would be suicide. Maybe something more ADV like? I think you've got to be really skilled though to do any serious tracks with a 500lb bike.

Buy a trailer?

A friend of mine just bought one a month ago .... 450X ... I haven't ridden 450R, but the X had gobbles more power than my Husa FE390. I mean a world of diiference.

it's his first real dirt bike (last time he rode DRZ400 about ten years ago ...). When I gave him the bike back (I was setting the ridiculously lean set up, so it's actually ride able). I told him ... "you will be in heaps of trouble, LOL". That thing just wants to power wheelie in first three gears and it's pretty light too ... I just thinks for someone who is getting into trail riding is not really the best bike. It's just too agressive, and throttle sensitive etc. .... I am pretty sure he will be ordering some heavier flywheel to tame the beast down, for twisty trails or single track. He will live on the clutch that's for sure ...

A 450X would be perfect for me but I can't find any decent used ones.

Picked up a really nice Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI today so just a dirtbike now left to find.

Try and find yourself a bike based on a MX platform, but built for trails. KTM's, husabergs, Huskies etc... are awesome bikes. Parts aren't as readily available though. Yamaha's WR, Suzuki's RMX, and Honda's CRFX are built for the woods. Wider ratio transmission's, skid plates, and slightly de-tuned engines, make them much more palatable on tighter trails, and ease the maintenance times a bit. No matter what, a high performance engine will require closer service intervals.

2 strokes are getting more popular again for sure. Probably the best for tight single track riding, and maintenance is much cheaper.

I ride a Suzuki RMX 450Z on tight single track, open fire roads etc... don't be afraid of the big bad 450's. If your a good rider, you'll be fine. My 450 is lighter and more agile than my previous 250.

If I was looking for a 4 stroke woods bike used, I'd look at yammies WR woods bikes. Cheap, good suspension, based on the YZF, and very reliable. If I was looking at a 2 stroke woods bike, I'd be looking for a KTM. Good luck man! Tons of options out there!

Back
Top Bottom