Reasonably Priced Offroad Thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

Reasonably Priced Offroad Thread

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
Tis the season for some good deals so post them up. I could be interested in a good used 07 or newer 450 bike for the Ganny (and I'm thankful for any advice since I've been away from the dirt since 2-strokes ruled).

Last edited:
2 strokes still rule...

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

If you plan on riding lots of single track a two smoker would be better in my opinion. Lighter to manoeuvre and potentially smoother in the slow tight stuff.

There are a bunch of KDX 220s for 2-3k on kijjiji right now. The 3k ones are priced a bit high, but they've been listed for a while so they might be willing to negotiate. There is also a KTM 200 EXC for $2400.

Yeah, 450 and tight single track .... no way.

On another note, has anyone noticed what new 2 strokes are going for? .... I almost fell off my chair, not understanding how we got to this point .... 2017 KTM 150 EXC .... 11 grand OTD (and it will still need few accessories before you go out on a first rip) .... Like really, an engine of a chain saw size, no complicated electronics or street related stuff .... I guess we keep paying and they keep hiking the prices? LOL

I know, you don't have to buy new, and it doesn't have to be KTM, but I just don't understand who pays these prices to buy a bike to have fun one day a week for 6 months a year .... crazy.

If you are set on a CRF450R, I have a 2008 that I was thinking of selling. Fully serviced and maintained. I haven't gotten around to putting it up for sale yet and came across this thread..........

Yeah, 450 and tight single track .... no way.

On another note, has anyone noticed what new 2 strokes are going for? .... I almost fell off my chair, not understanding how we got to this point .... 2017 KTM 150 EXC .... 11 grand OTD (and it will still need few accessories before you go out on a first rip) .... Like really, an engine of a chain saw size, no complicated electronics or street related stuff .... I guess we keep paying and they keep hiking the prices? LOL

I know, you don't have to buy new, and it doesn't have to be KTM, but I just don't understand who pays these prices to buy a bike to have fun one day a week for 6 months a year .... crazy.

I agree, a 2 stroke costing as much (or more) than a 4 stroke, that's just stupid greed. Apparently the market supports it. I bought my 350 new, but I don't know if I will buy new again. I couldn't find a 350EXC-F used though...

I agree, a 2 stroke costing as much (or more) than a 4 stroke, that's just stupid greed. Apparently the market supports it. I bought my 350 new, but I don't know if I will buy new again. I couldn't find a 350EXC-F used though...

And I was told "Act quick they are easily our best seller ..." ... well, that just killed the idea right there, basically letting me know, don't waste time to negotiate. Not that it would change anything .....

Even the 4 strokes should not be more than 10K OTD .... All the manufacturers must be making decent profits off these simple machines, especially KTM, Husqvarna who make a lot of dirt bikes per year on a very similar platform ... the difference between 150cc 2 stroke and 300 cc one is nowhere near what the difference in features is between Ninja 300 and Ninja ZX10R ... ZX10R is probably 10 fold or more complicated machine than KTM 500 EXC, yet the OTD price is probably very close.

Anyway, rant over ... used bike it is for me, that's for sure.

Looked at a "mint" newer YZ250 last night that was rough to say the least.
CR250 is on my list as well even though they stopped making them in '08 so it's getting harder to find out decent one.
Whoever has the 08 450 can pm me the details.

Smart move looking at YZ250, if your riding trails it's probably the go to mx bike. It's basically the same since 2006 with slight changes through production and then in 2015 being restyled with new plastics and I think slightly different suspension valving. The aftermarket is huge for that model and you can basically make it whatever you want. Throw a flywheel weight on it and hand guards and your set. I love my 250f for mx and trail riding but I'm not sure I would buy a used one unless I knew the previous owner. Like has been mentioned a 450 is a lot of bike for trail riding.

Get a KTM, Husaberg or Husky 2stroke 250 or 300 woods bike if you want if for riding in the woods you can pick up a 12 or newer for a very good price and will have a much better bike than a mx bike for the woods.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Get a KTM, Husaberg or Husky 2stroke 250 or 300 woods bike if you want if for riding in the woods you can pick up a 12 or newer for a very good price and will have a much better bike than a mx bike for the woods.

+1. 2 strokes are also cheaper and easier to own and maintain.

+1. 2 strokes are also cheaper and easier to own and maintain.

Why are they becoming less and less common then?

If you're not looking for huge performance you can get 4 strokes that need nothing but oil changes for tens of thousands of km. The same 2 stroke would need at least one rebuild which would cost much more, assuming no failures which are more likely, no?

I keep toying with the idea of getting a 2nd 2 stroke for offroad but I've spent thousands doing rebuilds on this one and if I had a regular 4 stroke bike I'd only have done maybe 3 oil changes for the same mileage.

There are no 4 stroke dirt bikes with good performance and weight that will go tens of thousands of kms. And by good I mean over 30 HP and under 250lbs. The 4 strokes in this category all need frequent maintenance including piston changes and valve maintenance. In my CRF 250x Honda recommended a new piston every 10 hrs.

4 stroke TRAIL bikes like the crf230 or ttr230 are very reliable and boring.

There are no 4 stroke dirt bikes with good performance and weight that will go tens of thousands of kms. And by good I mean over 30 HP and under 250lbs. The 4 strokes in this category all need frequent maintenance including piston changes and valve maintenance. In my CRF 250x Honda recommended a new piston every 10 hrs.

10 hours seems a little much. My crf450 states 15 hours for a valve adjustment, and 30 hours for a piston and rings.

Thats when its being raced.

I know a guy with an '05 crf450 with over 500 hours on it. He went to stainless steel valves and thats pretty much it.

My '08 crf has 100 hours on it now. Only adjusted the valves once.

Lots of oil changes though. Cheap maintenance.

I mostly trail ride it. It is a bit much, but it has been dead reliable.

And also do not meet the criteria I posted 

I do not see any list of criteria you posted?

Anyway, I agree that for performance and weight a 2 stroke is where it's at. Although the original question was about deals and 2 strokes usually cost more than 4 strokes and are not nearly as reliable as the "boring" options. For performance they may be cheaper to maintain than the high strung, "exciting" 4 strokes.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify because in my experience of owning a 4 stroke I only spent anything nearly close to what I've put into this 2 stroke in the same amount of time owning them because I basically wrote off the 4 stroke and then repaired it, lol.

I do not see any list of criteria you posted?

Anyway, I agree that for performance and weight a 2 stroke is where it's at. Although the original question was about deals and 2 strokes usually cost more than 4 strokes and are not nearly as reliable as the "boring" options. For performance they may be cheaper to maintain than the high strung, "exciting" 4 strokes.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify because in my experience of owning a 4 stroke I only spent anything nearly close to what I've put into this 2 stroke in the same amount of time owning them because I basically wrote off the 4 stroke and then repaired it, lol.

Yes, the entry level 4 stroke models will last forever with oil changes but the bikes are gutless and don't come with very good suspension, brakes etc. When talking the race bikes the 2 strokes are cheaper to buy and cheaper/easier to maintain then a comparable 4 stroke...not as big of a difference as a lot of 2 stroke fans make it out to be but at the end of the day cheaper.

Example
I have a 2015 YZ125 and 2014 KX250f so same class bikes and both have just over 50 hours on it. Both are due for top ends right now and I will be doing them this month. The yz has already had one done at 25 hours but just the parts are less then half of what I will be spending on parts for 250f. The yz will take me probably about 1.5 hours to do the piston and the engine will stay in the bike, the 4 stroke on the other hand I will pull the motor and do it on the bench and it will likely take me a full day. With all the fuel injection lines and electrical plus a lot more moving parts in the top end I'd rather have the engine out and space to work with.

In the future I will likely have the bottom end replaced on both around the 100 hour mark and at that same time the head will be rebuilt on the 4 stroke which is where some of the bigger costs come from.

If you grenade a 4 stroke it gets very very expensive quickly but with preventative maintenance reliability should be similar between both bikes.

Back
Top Bottom