RSV1000R - How is the maintenance and what are some common faults? | GTAMotorcycle.com

RSV1000R - How is the maintenance and what are some common faults?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
Can anyone who owns one let me know? Would really appreciate it.

I'll be Googling on the side too but would really appreciate first hand experience from owners in the GTA.

Depends on year, but my 2007 has been the most reliable bike I've ever owned. Austrian motor, Italian everything else. :D

Things to watch for: sprag clutch on starter for pre-2006 models, corroded power coupling connector (behind the coolant reservoir) for all versions - mine is fine after inspection this year, dash likes to fog in certain weather / may need cleaning, and anything else is probably just normal maintenance.

Didn't they also have instruments clusters that would die and need to be replaced, however that meant that original mileage was hard to determine?

Didn't they also have instruments clusters that would die and need to be replaced, however that meant that original mileage was hard to determine?

Possibly true of the old (1998-2002) ones. A lot of other bikes from that era do the same, two of my buddies have had their (street) SRADs do it, and I'm aware since they asked me what to do... like I know how to fix it... haha. That's why it is important to know the year of the bike in question. Newer ones do have an issue with letting moisture into the clocks, which I mentioned above. Fairly easy to fix, but fiddly.

Depends on year, but my 2007 has been the most reliable bike I've ever owned. Austrian motor, Italian everything else. :D

Things to watch for: sprag clutch on starter for pre-2006 models, corroded power coupling connector (behind the coolant reservoir) for all versions - mine is fine after inspection this year, dash likes to fog in certain weather / may need cleaning, and anything else is probably just normal maintenance.

Looking at a 2005 so it looks like I'll have some of the issues...

OK, 2005 has the sprag clutch issue - the fix for that is fairly simple... keep your battery topped up. What can happen is that a weak battery will not properly "snap" the clutch into engagement and wear or break the mating surfaces. The other thing is that if the bike doesn't have an Oberon clutch slave, you will want one because your clutch will regularly get difficult and long in travel. As it happens, I have one here that I'll sell pretty cheap. Aprilia changed the design to Oberon's in 2006.

Otherwise, nothing that I can think of to report.

OK, 2005 has the sprag clutch issue - the fix for that is fairly simple... keep your battery topped up. What can happen is that a weak battery will not properly "snap" the clutch into engagement and wear or break the mating surfaces. The other thing is that if the bike doesn't have an Oberon clutch slave, you will want one because your clutch will regularly get difficult and long in travel. As it happens, I have one here that I'll sell pretty cheap. Aprilia changed the design to Oberon's in 2006.

Otherwise, nothing that I can think of to report.

Thanks a ton for the info. Google is saying the bike is fairly reliable compared to BMW and Duc...hope it's right!

As mentioned, I've seen several issues with the clutch not fully disengaging, oil leaking from seals/gaskets and getting parts from Aprilia can be a nightmare. I/e make sure it breaks down in the winter lol

Last edited:
I have never yet had a problem getting parts quickly. Depends on your definition of quick, I don't think I have waited more than 2 weeks for anything (though it's only been a few times). Woodcraft, on the other hand, is driving me insane.

Back
Top Bottom