chain lube recommended | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

chain lube recommended

So what if I'm going on a 7000 or 8000 km trip are you telling me I need to lube my chain eight times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bring chain lube with me. I lube every 300 and clean my chain every 600 miles (bike is American). It's a bit of a pain in the ass to do on a road trip... My girl had to lube the chain while I pushed it.. First time she thought she was supposed to lube the sprocket too haha guess I should have been more clear

I think lubing at 300kms during normal riding conditions is a bit much but there's no harm in it besides maybe the mess. But better over lube than to not lube very often which seems to be the case for some of the riders I speak to.

Also the "how" to lube the chain seems to be a highly debated topic.

Not to mention not everyone has bike stands or a center stand so I haven't a clue how they lube their chains properly. :confused:

So what if I'm going on a 7000 or 8000 km trip are you telling me I need to lube my chain eight times?
On a longer ride, if the roads are clean and dry out, then the best time to lube the chain is just as you pull in for the night while the chain is still warm. If you are doing more than 1000km/day, or if the roads are wet or dirty, then you might want to lube it 2x or at least check on it mid-day. The advantage to lubing it just before you park is that the lube will stick to the chain and then not fling off once you ride away. If you lube it mid-day and then hop right on and ride away, enough lube will fling off and make a mess of your rims. I'm also lubing the chain about every 2 tanks of gas.

For my last chain, I used the Dupont Teflon lube and got the lowest mileage I have ever had from a chain and found that the chain needed adjusting more often as well. All I liked about that lube was that it was cheap and very clean. The best mileage I have gotten out of a chain came from using Wurth HHS2000, which is now called HHS-K. It's really awesome stuff, but expensive and tends to fling more than any other lube I have used. I am currently using the BelRay, because it's white, easy to see and pretty cheap, but have no idea how it will fare on my newest chain.

If no centre stand, then tilt the bike on the sidestand, while a friend turn the wheel and lubes.

For my last chain, I used the Dupont Teflon lube

Dupont changed their products slightly....make sure you're using the chain saver like the pictures in the first page of this thread and not just the Teflon Lube.

I've been using the Dupont chain saver and I've noticed the same thing. Chain always has surface rust and needs adjusting way to often. I'm going to try something else next season.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Been using the dupont stuff forever now. Never had a problem.

Dupont changed their products slightly....make sure you're using the chain saver like the pictures in the first page of this thread and not just the Teflon Lube.

Yeah it's the chain saver. Still have three or four cans of it. Normally I get around 40-45k out of a chain and with the Dupont it went down to around 30k and way too much adjusting and surface rust as Iceman said. I have gotten around 55k out of a chain and sprockets set with just using HHS2000 and there was still life in that set. I have been using the exact same brands and models of chain and sprockets for over 200k.

Yeah it's the chain saver. Still have three or four cans of it. Normally I get around 40-45k out of a chain and with the Dupont it went down to around 30k and way too much adjusting and surface rust as Iceman said. I have gotten around 55k out of a chain and sprockets set with just using HHS2000 and there was still life in that set. I have been using the exact same brands and models of chain and sprockets for over 200k.

Hmmm....very interesting

I guess V-tom hasn't seen this thread yet... but he ran a poll over on stromtropper.com, I think this is the one: http://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...ns/40576-when-did-you-replace-your-chain.html that asked people about their lubing methodology and the outcome.

The end result is that it seems to make very little difference. Whether you clean the chain or not, lube it or not, use WD40 or actual chain lube or not.

For me, I follow the V-Tom chain maintenance schedule as he has nearly 500000km on three different Vstroms with very long intervals between chain and sprocket replacements: and that is, don't clean the chain, lube it at every fill up (400km on the Strom) or after riding in the rain/wet roads. I did use HHS2000 for awhile, but switched to dupont chain saver or jig-a-loo chain lube since it became more difficult to acquire Wurth lube.

The result... I have 60000km on my original chain and rear sprocket, and there are no kinks or sticking links yet. I did replace the front sprocket that was fairly worn (I know it's suggested to replace all at once, but for $20 for a sprocket I just went with replacing that). I've also only adjusted the chain once in that 60k km, and I do a fair amount of offroad, water crossings, ride in all weather, etc...

You know the riding season is ending soon with the 33 responses on another chain lube thread:)

Clearing tip:
Use kerosene in a spray bottle to clean the chain and spray against the rear sprocket to contain the stuff going all over your tires etc.
Kerosene is cheap and does not harm the O-rings.

You may use one of those Amazon or better chain cleaning brush or a rag will also do to remove the build up of dirt etc.

Lube a warmed chain using your favorite lube, (Dupont Chain saver or Bellracy- Superclean)

On a trip, I always spray the chain at the end of the day when the chain is warm and and allows the lube to setup.

I use Maxima Chain Wax. Prefer it much more than Lube (especially that motul crap). Below are the pro's and con's from what I've noticed in comparison to lube.
Pro's - Have never seen a single drop fling off to my back tire (unlike lube)
- Doesn't collect nearly as much dirt, debris etc..
- Lasts much longer
- Repels water better
- Chain is noticeably more quiet
Con's
- First 100km or so on fresh wax has an odor when stopped at a light or after a ride (not a bad smell though). Personally, I like the smell because I know my chain is squeaky clean :)
- Very sticky when wiping down chain to re-wax. I found that wiping down on a warm chain (after a 15min ride or so) it is much easier to clean.
-That's all I can think of

Funny you say that ... that's what a mechanic (known to racing community) has told me as well. He did say he also has some expensive Wurth stuff on his bench, but most of the time goes for WD40. Enough said.

I don't like the Chainsaver also. The only thing I like is its cheap. You have to apply regularly & there's rust when wet

The rust comments I find very odd. I've never seen any rust on any of my chains.

A bike I bought earlier this year had a super rusty and kinked chain. I used the Tirox Chain cleaner and brush and scrubbed it clean, and used the Dupont stuff to lube and unkink it.

Funny how peoples mileage can vary.

did not know that,,every 1000..bought bike at 3000 kms..just thought you lube end of the season
lube often. I usually lube after every other fill up (about 400 to 500 km), and clean after every 1000km

YES!
The advantage of the DuPont Chain Saver is that it will clean as it lubes (Spray on liberally, and wipe off the crud. Let dry and then spray a final coat to lube)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... so you may want to just pick up some kerosene (kerosene not camp fuel) and use that to clean the chain with an old tooth brush.
Kerosene works great but it will eat the asphalt it drips and soaks into. Something to keep in mind.

Back
Top Bottom