chain lube recommended | GTAMotorcycle.com

chain lube recommended

dcjcdc

about to winterize my bike which just bought used this year
has 5000 kms
2015 cbr 500r

so a good chain lube recommended
thanks

^^^^ this is almost true, it's all personal preference, but make sure it is safe for o ring / x ring chains

How many KM did you put on it if you are winterizing and asking about chain lube now? FYI you're supposed to lube the chain every 1000km or so, or if it seems dry.

dis:

https://www.lowes.ca/lubricants/dupont-311g-teflon-chain-saver_g1520528.html

EDIT: Link no worky anymore but this is what I was pointing to:

036121196964_ca.jpg

Last edited:
did not know that,,every 1000..bought bike at 3000 kms..just thought you lube end of the season
How many KM did you put on it if you are winterizing and asking about chain lube now? FYI you're supposed to lube the chain every 1000km or so, or if it seems dry.

So what if I'm going on a 7000 or 8000 km trip are you telling me I need to lube my chain eight times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't recall what I'm currently using but I would not recommend Motul C2 on an X/O-ring chain. It's very throw-resistant but it turns very, very thick and heavy and I think it contributed to the death of my DID chain; the sticky, thick stuff contributed to torn and thrown X-rings which led to a rapid demise of the chain.

Like others have posted, just go to a bike shop and pick up a can of chain lube. Which one doesn't really matter, everyone swears by whatever brand they use and you will too eventually.

Also, since it sounds like you never cleaned the chain all season I'd suggest giving it a real good clean before lubing it up.

What brand? Again, buy any can of chain cleaner. It will most likely be on the same shelf as the chain lube ;). Chain cleaner in the can is expensive, so you may want to just pick up some kerosene (kerosene not camp fuel) and use that to clean the chain with an old tooth brush.

Happy winterizing.

For reference since you asked, I recommend Motul C1 Chain cleaner and Maxim Chain Wax chain lube.

So what if I'm going on a 7000 or 8000 km trip are you telling me I need to lube my chain eight times?

Pretty much, although it isn't an exact science (so you don't have to re-lube mid-day, but if you cross over 1000 you probably should when parking for the night). Also if you are doing a trip of that distance, you probably should also change the oil before as well (unless you done it fairly recently, in which case you could do it after the trip).

Outside of some extended trip, every 1000km, or if you wash the bike or ride through a lot of rain is a safe bet. Debate is out on how often you should clean the chain...I typically do it 1-2 times a year, but then I'm a fair weather weekend rider mainly. If the chain is really dirty you should definitely clean it then lube it, vs just adding more lube (unless you are on a trip and lube is the only option).

As for lube, I've been using Amsoil Heavy Duty Chain Lube and it has been working fairly well. Any brand name should do really, and then it just comes down to personal preference (some like liquid while others like aerosol, some are oily while others are more waxy, etc etc). For cleaning, I've been using Tirox...if used sparingly the can lasts a while.

Last edited:

Yup. When I'm on a long trip, the chain gets lubed everyday.

via Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom