Classic Insurance Costs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Classic Insurance Costs

zibzer

I'm 30 years old. M1 license 2010. m License 2015 and am currently paying over $1000/year for a 650 Vstar.

I only ride about 500Km/year, the 1000$ price seems too much to me.

Ive been thinking about trading in for a vintage Triumph or something along that line, would insurance be considerably cheaper do you think?

thanks!

IMO, if you're only riding 500kms a year, you'd probably be better off renting a bike for a day or two when you get the urge to ride.

Last edited:
I don't know if there is "classic" bike insurance like classic car insurance.... TBH I haven't heard anyone talk about it before

I believe that Aviva and Dalton Timmis do it. There are a bunch of restrictions - when I asked Riders Plus about it for my FJ600 I was told that it wasn't old enough. Mileage would've been capped at 2,500kms too. Might make sense for OP.

Maybe one of the vintage bike guys could chime in but the big problem with the "How much" question is the fickle nature of bike insurance. Rates change with the economy and claims but also on whims of the CEO's and what they perceive. For no concrete reason rates can change substantially.

You may get cheaper, but it is still going to be expensive per km. Very few companies bother writing policies for less than $500. It's just not worth their time.

I don't know of any insurance company that offers classic insurance for motorcycles.:(

Maybe I am missing something here....but my 1985 FZ750 was insured for 380.00 for the year, liability only, it was 420, but went down.....

Is that your only product with that company? It's in the ballpark anyway, I was mainly trying to point out that he isn't going to get a policy for $50 because he only does 500 km/yr.

I believe that Aviva and Dalton Timmis do it. There are a bunch of restrictions - when I asked Riders Plus about it for my FJ600 I was told that it wasn't old enough. Mileage would've been capped at 2,500kms too. Might make sense for OP.
can deff be way cheaper having a second or 3rd ltd use ride,

right ~ 1000cc tho, goes up quite a bit, for me, near regular coverage

so, under 750cc could be somewhere ~ 250 - 400 bux & includes must have full collision coverage

http://www.daltontimmis.com/divisions/home-for-chrome/classic-motorcycle-insurance

Maybe I am missing something here....but my 1985 FZ750 was insured for 380.00 for the year, liability only, it was 420, but went down.....

Is that your only product with that company? It's in the ballpark anyway, I was mainly trying to point out that he isn't going to get a policy for $50 because he only does 500 km/yr.

Yup was the only thing insured with them, I have since changed bikes, but still only have one bike insured with them, price has gone up, but so has the value of my new bike....

I'm 30 years old. M1 license 2010. m License 2015 and am currently paying over $1000/year for a 650 Vstar.

I only ride about 500Km/year, the 1000$ price seems too much to me.

I'm paying about 1/2 of that for a 1300CC VTX with my M2. I actually have years of experience, but on paper...I'm just a <1year M2 rider - it's a long story.

Anyhow, I think your issue is your choice of insurance company, simply put. My wife rides a Vstar 650, so exact same bike, M1/M2 this past spring, and she's <$500/year.

We are both in our 40's, but it shouldn't make *that* much difference I wouldn't expect.

Call Dalton Timmis and speak with Andy Singh, he's the one who hooked us up. I was paying 2.5x the rates above before with Riders Plus....needless to say I ditched them the second I got a quote with Dalton.

I just tried to get a quote for a 1980 Honda CBX1100. The only bike the guy could find in his system was just listed as "CBX" so I'm not quite sure if it's actually the right quote but it was only $419/yr. For comparison, the 2000 RC51 I got a quote for was $1882/yr and right now I'm paying $381/yr for my 2009 RS125. I was surprised they'd even insure the RC51 since they told me awhile that even a CBR250RR couldn't be covered by them because it's a super sport in their books.

I'm 32, clean record, living in Toronto (postal code starts with M6C).

$280 a year with Aviva for a 1976 CB750F. Full coverage, appraised value of $5000. Limited to 5000km's a year. I do have my condo and car with Aviva as well. Riding for 30 plus years, M5V postal code in Toronto.

IMO, if you're only riding 500kms a year, you'd probably be better off renting a bike for a day or two when you get the urge to ride.

Where does one rent a bike for a reasonable cost?

Back
Top Bottom