Proper winter tires | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Proper winter tires

So far they're fine, but I admit I've only done a couple hundred KMs on them so far; spending most of my time on my K1300S, enjoying the last days for it before the salt descends upon the streets.

I am most interested how they perform in snowy or icy conditions. If you come across those conditions with those tires please let me know how they do.

..Tom

For those of us that ride in winter, I have some wonderful news; there's a proper certified winter tire on the market!

The Anlas Winter Grip Plus set of tires has the little snowflake in mountain symbol as a certified "Winter Tire".

Check out page 4 at http://www.anlas.com/katalog/en/

Primarily dual-sport sizing available today (like my DL650), and sport-bike sizing is "coming soon".

Are you going to be out tomorrow? It loks like I will be riding home this eve through some flurries. Would love to know how those tires work for you!

BTW Pete's Superbike says they can get them. I am waiting to hear about the price (and your experiences.)

..Tom

Are you going to be out tomorrow? It loks like I will be riding home this eve through some flurries. Would love to know how those tires work for you!

BTW Pete's Superbike says they can get them. I am waiting to hear about the price (and your experiences.)

..Tom

Might have to wait a bit for his review, Book of faces says he's riding around in sunny California right now.

Motorcycle winter tire.

These are ice tires, but I am getting an idea :p
Can we use the old tires (of which is treads are not too deep, maybe 4mm treads left) and drill holes and put shorter screws on them (such that are road friendly). I wonder if that could work! These ones wouldn't be road friendly in my opinion unless there's a ton of snow and ice on the roads where you are riding.

Can we use the old tires (of which is treads are not too deep, maybe 4mm treads left) and drill holes and put shorter screws on them (such that are road friendly).

I know, I'm probably taking this far further than anyone wanted, but hey.

Since you mentioned "road friendly", just note that if your motorcycle is registered east of Algonquin Park and south of Parry Sound (roughly), the fine is upwards of $1000 for having "studded tires".

If your motorcycle is registered in Parry Sound or north, or within Algonquin Park and north-west, there are specifications to what are acceptable as studs but yes, you could have studs. (the spikes in the picture would not be acceptable!) Some of the rationale around this is the Southern Ontario better-maintained roads, and that our roads down here are made with local softer limestone than the roads in Northern Ontario that are made from sterner stuff.

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=15402

Studs can be exposed up to 3.5mm, and you can only have up to 130 studs "per vehicle" (or 32 per tire on a car). If you have studs on your front tire(s), you must have studs on the rears.

They must also be "Scandinavian standard lightweight studs."

Some say "Legal until you get caught." YMMV, but I figure with the weird noise they make, you're attracting a lot of attention to your tires, virtually ensuring you get caught.

I figured when I'm riding in winter, I expect the police to immediately look for studs. I don't want them to make an example out of me just because I tried to reduce my risks performing an activity that Ontario year-round considers a "hobby that does not warrant special consideration."

Since you mentioned "road friendly", just note that if your motorcycle is registered east of Algonquin Park and south of Parry Sound (roughly), the fine is upwards of $1000 for having "studded tires".

If your motorcycle is registered in Parry Sound or north, or within Algonquin Park and north-west, there are specifications to what are acceptable as studs but yes, you could have studs. (the spikes in the picture would not be acceptable!) Some of the rationale around this is the Southern Ontario better-maintained roads, and that our roads down here are made with local softer limestone than the roads in Northern Ontario that are made from sterner stuff.

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=15402

Studs can be exposed up to 3.5mm, and you can only have up to 130 studs "per vehicle" (or 32 per tire on a car). If you have studs on your front tire(s), you must have studs on the rears.

They must also be "Scandinavian standard lightweight studs."

Some say "Legal until you get caught." YMMV, but I figure with the weird noise they make, you're attracting a lot of attention to your tires, virtually ensuring you get caught.

I figured when I'm riding in winter, I expect the police to immediately look for studs. I don't want them to make an example out of me just because I tried to reduce my risks performing an activity that Ontario year-round considers a "hobby that does not warrant special consideration."
That's interesting because a bicycle is considered a vehicle according to the OHTA, and I run studs on my bicycle in the winter. I guess technically I could get a $1000 fine. Oops. Oh well.

And that did burst my bubble.... haha
Now, I'm thinking on the lines of putting chains on the tires. I'm assuming that might not be legal too but I'll keep researching.

My memory is a little hazy on this, but I believe chains on tires are legal.
There has to have been a certain amount of snow and only within a certain time frame of it stopping.
When I lived in Ottawa in the 1980s, there was a huge snowstorm.
All the police, fire and ambulances had chains until the plows had finished.

I'm not sure how anyone would think that chains/screws/studs are a good idea on a bike riding on asphalt. Ever tried to get a studded snowmobile to move/stop on asphalt? It doesn't. Now put these things onto your front wheel of your bike and try to turn/stop. So many hard low sides ending up with your face being smashed into the ground. Tape it for YouTube, please.

I'm not sure how anyone would think that chains/screws/studs are a good idea on a bike riding on asphalt.

Not a good idea @dricked , but indeed an idea. If this would be too risky, what else would you recommend? Any suggestions...

Not a good idea @dricked , but indeed an idea. If this would be too risky, what else would you recommend? Any suggestions...

A car. Once the salt flew and it got cold I parked my bike. I never used a bike as my main mode of transportation. The risk isn't worth it and I enjoy heat while drinking a hot coffee while listening to the radio.

Last edited:
So far they're fine, but I admitI've only done a couple hundred KMs on them so far; spending most of my time onmy K1300S, enjoying the last days for it before the salt descends upon thestreets.

I had planned to drive to work this morning. I live in Port Perry and work at 407 and Weston Road. When I go up I looked out the window and the roads were all dry and no sign of snow on the radar in my area or talk of it on the radio (Well talk of some flurries mixed with rain later.)

When I got near Lakeridge on Goodwood Road the roadstarted getting wet and some flurries hit so I decided to head down to 407 (lower altitude often is warmer and less slippery.) 407 had a thin covering of snow on it. I stayedin tire tracks that were relatively clear and was fine. I got to work okay couldn'thelp but think having the winter tires on would be a good idea.

Have you tried yours out in snow yet?

..Tom

For those of us that ride in winter, I have some wonderful news; there's a proper certified winter tire on the market!

The Anlas Winter Grip Plus set of tires has the little snowflake in mountain symbol as a certified "Winter Tire".

Check out page 4 at http://www.anlas.com/katalog/en/

Primarily dual-sport sizing available today (like my DL650), and sport-bike sizing is "coming soon".

In the past, I've had the Continental TKC80 M+S's on my CBR1100XX and VFR800 over several winters and they were surprisingly capable on black ice. I've had Heidenau K60 Sport M+S on my DL650 for two winters, and they were great. But they aren't certified "Winter tires". These are.

I'm on the edge of ordering my next set of tires.. might as well be ones that are better in cold weather.

Any more thoughts on those tires? Ie: How were they in slippery stuff? How did they handle in normal conditions? How did they wear compared to the tries you were used to, etc.

Thanks,

..Tom

I'm on the edge of ordering my next set of tires.. might as well be ones that are better in cold weather.

Any more thoughts on those tires? Ie: How were they in slippery stuff? How did they handle in normal conditions? How did they wear compared to the tries you were used to, etc.

Thanks,

..Tom

I never really pushed them, but they seemed good. Wore well over about 3000km of winter riding.

However, they're styled like 75% road/25% offroad tires, which didn't give me confidence when I met with a sudden blizzard. I'm going to go with TKC80's this winter; they were astoundingly good on black ice on my CBR1100XX, and the knobs gave me incredible confidence when I would chance upon >5mm of snow cover. They wear like crap, but I'm looking for confidence and meatbody life over tire life. :)

ahahahahahahahahah. I am sure that would be a fun call to make. Please record it

Depending on how poorly they have written their interface, the agent may just be able to check a box and get you 5%. The ironic part is that would make it actually cheaper to continue riding through the winter instead of parking the bike.

Back
Top Bottom