Proper winter tires | GTAMotorcycle.com

Proper winter tires

sadrik

Site Supporter
For those of us that ride in winter, I have some wonderful news; there's a proper certified winter tire on the market!

The Anlas Winter Grip Plus set of tires has the little snowflake in mountain symbol as a certified "Winter Tire".

Check out page 4 at http://www.anlas.com/katalog/en/

Primarily dual-sport sizing available today (like my DL650), and sport-bike sizing is "coming soon".

In the past, I've had the Continental TKC80 M+S's on my CBR1100XX and VFR800 over several winters and they were surprisingly capable on black ice. I've had Heidenau K60 Sport M+S on my DL650 for two winters, and they were great. But they aren't certified "Winter tires". These are.

I would assume that they would extend the riding season in Quebec without having to get exemptions.

How does a MC tire get classed as a winter tire????

Guess when I get the uninformed question of if there are winter tires for bikes, I have to change my answer.

The Anlas Winter Grip Plus set of tires has the little snowflake in mountain symbol as a certified "Winter Tire".

This is pretty cool...but I didn't see a photo of the sidewall that was clear enough to make out the snowflake & mountain symbol? That would be the make it or break it thing for the Quebec audience.

This is pretty cool...but I didn't see a photo of the sidewall that was clear enough to make out the snowflake & mountain symbol? That would be the make it or break it thing for the Quebec audience.

It does. If I could figure out how to embed a photo (holy size restrictions), I would have already. In the meantime.

I would remind our audience that this is CANADA we're living in. Not England. You want a sobering experience try riding in a Canadian snowstorm with Turkish winter tires. Let me know when those tires have retractable titanium studs.

It does. If I could figure out how to embed a photo (holy size restrictions), I would have already. In the meantime.

Aha, thanks...well, that's legit! It'll be interesting to see if people jump on this in quebec and what the police will inevitably try to do about it. I think there will be more than a few roadside discussions.

I would remind our audience that this is CANADA we're living in. Not England. You want a sobering experience try riding in a Canadian snowstorm with Turkish winter tires. .

The website clearly mentions snow, ice, and slush. Turkish snow ice and slush is the same as Canadian snow ice and slush.

Aha, thanks...well, that's legit! It'll be interesting to see if people jump on this in quebec and what the police will inevitably try to do about it. I think there will be more than a few roadside discussions.

Apparently they're selling very well in Quebec. I was told I got one of the last remaining pairs, at least for the current stock.

Apparently they're selling very well in Quebec. I was told I got one of the last remaining pairs, at least for the current stock.

Aha, they're already here...I thought they just came out and weren't on this side of the pond already. That'd explain how you have a pic like you posted. ;)

From the website/magazine thing it looks like they have 2 different winter tread patterns, with the second one being what looks to be a complete analogue of what a true winter tire would look like here.

Very interesting indeed. Curious if the other more common NA based tire companies will pay attention to the demand for this and get in on the action. I suspect it's a small niche market however, so hard to say.

how much was a set and did you order it locally or from the link you posted in the first post?

anlas_winter_grip_plus.jpg

how much was a set and did you order it locally or from the link you posted in the first post?

anlas_winter_grip_plus.jpg

Okay, so, how did you do that? :)

I got them from Riders Choice, special order from a disti in Quebec. I paid around $500 for the pair.

Sorry, those tires aren't certified or legit snow tires. The snowflake symbol is applicable only to passenger car and light truck tires that pass an ASTM stipulated test on snow and ice. http://www.astm.org/Standards/F1572.htm

These tires are probably a massive liability for the manufacturer and any retailer in North America.

While they may actually be much better in snow and ice than any other MC tire, and perhaps they even pass the ASTM test except for the tire type, they aren't genuine snow tires in the eyes of the law. Though cops will likely be fooled for a while, until people start to crash and word gets out.

Whatever unfolds, having the snowflake icon on there is deceptive and fraudulent. I would not trust that manufacturer for anything.

Last edited:
$500 for a pair? Not sure I would pay that sort of premium to ride in Ontario during the winter. IIRC, Heidenau offers "4-season" tires for scooters, though I haven't tried them yet. Once road ice starts forming, I'd hazard a guess that only studded tires would do the trick.

put in the following:

and in between the two img codes, put in the website or url address of the photo
in this case the url is the link you posted earlier

that's it - pretty easy

Last edited:
I think Continental makes winter tires for scooters but not for motorcycles. Only seen them listed on European sites.

Sorry, those tires aren't certified or legit snow tires. The snowflake symbol is applicable only to passenger car and light truck tires that pass an ASTM stipulated test on snow and ice. http://www.astm.org/Standards/F1572.htm

Whatever unfolds, having the snowflake icon on there is deceptive and fraudulent. I would not trust that manufacturer for anything.

The snowflake/mountain logo does not require F1572, however..in order for a manufacturer to use it they only need to meet ASTM F1805. The symbol is actually a Canadian certification from the Tire and Rubber Association of Canada (not ASTM) that many other manufacturers now use as well if they meet F1805.

Now, F1805 does mention specifically "passenger vehicle", and the test requires a 4 wheel test bed, so your assessment that they are using the logo incorrectly is possible, even likely - the TRAC may be interested to be hear such, or perhaps they have some insight - who knows, perhaps the manufacturer used a special rolling test bed (or put the tires on a car) for the purpose of testing and achieving the certification.

The website clearly mentions snow, ice, and slush. Turkish snow ice and slush is the same as Canadian snow ice and slush.

Not so, Go drive the roads in BC, (in the lower elevations), with their heavy wet snow, them go drive in Alberta, (or the much higher elevations with their powdery snow), with their light fluffy dry snow. So not all snow and slush are created equal.

I got them from Riders Choice, special order from a disti in Quebec. I paid around $500 for the pair.

Do you get a snow tire discount on your motorcycle insurance?

Back
Top Bottom