Sleeper Bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sleeper Bikes

DucatiDan

Which bikes would you consider "sleeper bikes"? Like a wolf in sheep's clothing? A friend and I were having a discussion about this the other day and some of the bikes that came up were the Yamaha V-Max and the Suzuki M109r. What are some bikes out there that don't garner a second glance from non-riders but can pull your arms out of their sockets or carve up other bikes in the twisties? Interested to see what comes up on here.

If you want the best sleeper bike, you gotta leave your ego at the door..

[video]https://youtu.be/NdKqe0LdWwc[/video]

Last edited:
How about a '98 VFR800? I could imagine some newer riders not looking twice, scoffing, then getting whooped by it.

There is a lot of "it's not the bike, it's the rider".

A good friend of mine has a bone stock grom including the stock tires still on it, and he caught and passed a few 600cc sport bikes at Deals Gap with it - all 9 horsepower strong.

The VFR800 in any generation is a dull looking (in my opinion) but extremely competent motorcycle.

Harleys are a crap shoot. A lot of them are just that (in my opinion, again) ... crap. But then you get the occasional one that's been tuned properly instead of just having straight pipes thrown on, and which has had the suspension and brakes sorted out, and which gets ridden properly.

Goldwings can be pretty surprising considering how long and heavy they are.

I've seen maxi-scooters being ridden at an alarming pace on winding back roads, too.

If you want the best sleeper bike, you gotta leave your ego at the door..

[video]https://youtu.be/NdKqe0LdWwc[/video]

That was like a 100m drag race, of course the big twin will win every time.

If that.. more like 100' haha. Most litre bikes will do 140-170 kph in first gear... they're not geared for off the line acceleration. In a proper drag, even an 1/8 mile, that's a no contest. My Buell would catch many out the first 60-100', then right by they would go lol.

Goldwings can be pretty surprising considering how long and heavy they are.

YELLOW WOLF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

[video=youtube;_zTILvfT3oI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zTILvfT3oI[/video]

There is a lot of "it's not the bike, it's the rider".

+ 1.

I think it's more about sleeper riders. People expect S and SS riders to be fairly proficient at handling their bikes, but assume cruiser, touring or sport touring riders are not quite as competent.

While I'm just a 8,000 - 10,000 km a year average skilled rider many of the sport touring people I ride with are doing 20,000 - 30,000 km a year on their ST1300 and FJR1300's, have Race Tech suspensions, sticky tires, just about zero chicken strips and can ride the wheels off their bikes. They'd be able to give many S and SS riders a run for their money on a nice curvy road.

Which bikes would you consider "sleeper bikes"? Like a wolf in sheep's clothing? A friend and I were having a discussion about this the other day and some of the bikes that came up were the Yamaha V-Max and the Suzuki M109r. What are some bikes out there that don't garner a second glance from non-riders but can pull your arms out of their sockets or carve up other bikes in the twisties? Interested to see what comes up on here.

Cycle Guides 1971 Kawasaki H2 road test alluded to "pulling arms from sockets". I was very young and impressionable back then, had no bike experience, so went around repeating that quote to bikers every chance I could. Invariably the response would be along the lines of "hey what do you know kid?" A lot of guys walking around with dangly arms as I recall.

Last edited:
+ 1.

I think it's more about sleeper riders. People expect S and SS riders to be fairly proficient at handling their bikes, but assume cruiser, touring or sport touring riders are not quite as competent.

While I'm just a 8,000 - 10,000 km a year average skilled rider many of the sport touring people I ride with are doing 20,000 - 30,000 km a year on their ST1300 and FJR1300's, have Race Tech suspensions, sticky tires, just about zero chicken strips and can ride the wheels off their bikes. They'd be able to give many S and SS riders a run for their money on a nice curvy road.

+2 and bingo

Love the scooter vid - reminded me of this:
[video=youtube;TgJxLA8kosU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgJxLA8kosU[/video]

Guys, the question has nothing to do with riders. If you put the same guy on two different bikes, which one could surprise you most by its performance?

Thats why I think it essentially comes down to having a very, very porrly maintained looking bike.

Guys, the question has nothing to do with riders. If you put the same guy on two different bikes, which one could surprise you most by its performance?

Thats why I think it essentially comes down to having a very, very porrly maintained looking bike.

Well then who's going to get their arms pulled from sockets? Huh, who?

Back
Top Bottom