Septic trucks emptying in farm fields | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Septic trucks emptying in farm fields

That article is 15 years old. As mentioned, land application of biosolids is tightly regulated. If you suspect something wrong, get info and any evidence you can and report it to your local MOE office and ask for them to tell you what they find. For example, one should not see sewage waste paper products in a field.

Last edited:
Everything is legit, with the company, practice and location I observed.

The company has the Region contract to apply Biosolids, and the field being used is an approved location. Septic tanker trucks are used for this process. The Biosolids do have a putrid odor (which is probably why such a hidden & remote field is an approved location). The layman will have a hard time differentiating Biosolids from raw human waste.

I feel kind of silly and embarrassed ...the sky is not falling. But my concerns are alleviated and I learned a few things.

Thanks again everyone, your input and guidance is always appreciated.

Sincerely

The company has the Region contract to apply Biosolids, and the field being used is an approved location. Septic tanker trucks are used for this process. The Biosolids do have a putrid odor (which is probably why such a hidden & remote field is an approved location). The layman will have a hard time differentiating Biosolids from raw human waste.

I feel kind of silly and embarrassed ...the sky is not falling. But my concerns are alleviated and I learned a few things.

Sincerely

Don't. You saw somebody spreading $H1t by the truck load. Of course one assumes it's the raw kind, honest mistake. Well done.

Bowmanville is Durham Region? There's almost a dozen sewage treatment plants there. If it's actually biosolids than it will be what's left after the aerobic or anaerobic digester process on the sludge. Relatively inert although it is pungent.

Farmers love it, rich in nitrogen. We used to apply our biosolids in Chatham Region, now the sludge is palletized and bagged for resale.

Sincerely

Remember when biodiesel was a big deal and companies would slap Biodiesel stickers on the sides of their diesel fleet vehicles? Maybe something similar for biosolids would make the appearance of poop wagons leaving things behind in farmer's fields less alarming

The York Region blackwater system feeds down to The Duffin Creek plant in Pickering. So those some of those biosolids you are seeing spread in the field might of come from my house. LoL.

but, but, but....it organic

Haha...yeah, that's the first thing I thought...all the seed and nut woo medicine types who always say "anything natural is good!". I'm enjoying a big bowl of natural Asbestos-Flakes for breakfast as I type this, actually! ;)

Anyhow, Decimis...is it very clearly a "johnny on the spot" type pumper truck (carrying real untreated raw sewage) you see dumping in the field? Have you gone out and looked at what they're dumping? I know it's not a pleasant experience but it may be telling - if you see what is evidently raw sewage (toilet paper and all still) then the answer is clear, but there is a chance that it could be partially treated or something where the land application is acceptable.

Regardless, any truck hauling sewage should have an MOE number listed on it somewhere. That would be the first thing you'd want to get for the purpose of inquiring and reporting as that's effectively their "licence plate" with the MOE.

Bowmanville is Durham Region? There's almost a dozen sewage treatment plants there. If it's actually biosolids than it will be what's left after the aerobic or anaerobic digester process on the sludge. Relatively inert although it is pungent.

Farmers love it, rich in nitrogen. We used to apply our biosolids in Chatham Region, now the sludge is palletized and bagged for resale.

Yep! I was told the septic company will deposit their septic load at the WPCP, then likely pick-up a load of Biosolids and go and spread that.

Remember when biodiesel was a big deal and companies would slap Biodiesel stickers on the sides of their diesel fleet vehicles? Maybe something similar for biosolids would make the appearance of poop wagons leaving things behind in farmer's fields less alarming

Agreed 100%. As I observed from a distance, I can't confirm or deny whether the trucks are marked. I didn't contact the company directly, but I did search their website and they have no mention of it on there either.

The York Region blackwater system feeds down to The Duffin Creek plant in Pickering. So those some of those biosolids you are seeing spread in the field might of come from my house. LoL.

I know there have been very major construction projects along York-Durham line and huge expansions at Duffin Creek WPCP, to bring York waste there. The next time that foul reek fills my nose, I will think of you! :)

Anyhow, Decimis...is it very clearly a "johnny on the spot" type pumper truck (carrying real untreated raw sewage) you see dumping in the field? Have you gone out and looked at what they're dumping? I know it's not a pleasant experience but it may be telling - if you see what is evidently raw sewage (toilet paper and all still) then the answer is clear, but there is a chance that it could be partially treated or something where the land application is acceptable.

This is exactly what they told me to do! (gross!) They also offered to send me the contract information to review, which contains all the technical information, locations, and conditions/restrictions this company has been granted.

They went on to say in Durham Region, it's an exclusive contract that is very desired and financially beneficial. It would be extremely irrational for the company to jeopardize loosing the Regions contract. But, that doesn't make it a guarantee...

I declined all the info. Temp is dropping, I'll go check out the field when the ground starts to freeze (so I'm walking on it, not in it).

43°58'06.2"N 78°40'07.4"W

Those are the GPS coordinates of the field. Put it into to google, look at earth view and zoom into the field. You can see the extensive roadways they've created, and even dark discolourations where things had been recently spread.

OH! I didn't realize there was a google street view along the back road adjacent to the field. It's from 2011, but if you go to the end (as far as you can) you can actually see a very recent dumping very close to the road.

Just as an aside, I have occasion to walk by and use Johnny on the spots daily. Routinely(once a week?) a gentleman will vacuum out the contents and install fresh(I'm assuming) urinal pucks and hand sanitizer. Despite ATGATT it appears a yucky job, and to be honest, leaves a bit of an after taste.

That article is 15 years old. As mentioned, land application of biosolids is tightly regulated. If you suspect something wrong, get info and any evidence you can and report it to your local MOE office and ask for them to tell you what they find. For example, one should not see sewage waste paper products in a field.

Sorry for not responding/replying to your post, as it was spot-on! You deserve to be acknowledged - thank you! :)

That location seems odd for land application because of the fact there's a pond just south of it which would seem like it would be easily contaminated by run off. It also looks like the field has been fallow for a while, but was planted at some point as you can see the crop lines. I would also expect even a fallow field being treated with biosolids to be WAY greener than that one is.

I'm left wondering if it is indeed sewage at all they are dumping as opposed to something else, perhaps waste liquid from the nearby Links Greenhouses hydroponics?

43°58'06.2"N 78°40'07.4"W...

8 to 10 mins from my house, I'm at Concession 6 and just east of 57. I ride south on Bethesda Rd. at least 2 or 3 times a week during the season. I always thought that Stephen's Mills Rd. lead to a conservation area.

not saying it doesnt happen, but given the hundreds of thousands environmental fines run into these days and everybody owns a video camera you'd have to some kind of special idiot to be spreading raw poop in a field, in the daytime, using a large truck with a name on the side.

In fact when I was researching the off grid down by the river van living it had come to my attention you will get busted for the Lugable Loo 18.9 lt. pail crapper. It's nothing like the laid back bucket and chuck it high seas lifestyle.

Talk about biosolids, I'm sure the Don River has a few of those. Who's chucking that down there?

I just sent some biosolids down the pipeline. On its way to 43°58'06.2"N 78°40'07.4"W

Back
Top Bottom